British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sending Food to the US- New Rules! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sending-food-us-new-rules-196186/)

NC Penguin Dec 11th 2003 12:33 am

Sending Food to the US- New Rules!

I've read about this on the Royal Mail website and also on the US government webpage.

Here's the link-
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fsbtac13.html

Seems like from 12 December, "prior notice" must be submitted electronically to the FDA before pretty much all food items are mailed to the US.

The title of the weblink above is pretty startling. It features the word "bioterrorism".

I'm going to contact "technical assistance" because my mother doesn't have access to a computer and so she can't submit prior approval electronically, the only means possible (according to the webpage).

This means I'll be carrying even more teabags back to the US on my return after Christmas...

NC Penguin

CitySimon Dec 11th 2003 12:44 am

Having read through the statement, it sounds like this only affects food if it is being imported for re-sale on to a third party.

In the "What foods are excluded from the prior notice requirement?" section the following points are of relevence:

1) food carried by or otherwise accompanying an individual arriving in the United States for that individual's personal use (i.e., for consumption by themselves, family, or friends, and not for sale or other distribution);

4) food that was made by an individual in his/her personal residence and sent by that individual as a personal gift (i.e., for non-business reasons) to an individual in the United States.

This says to me that personal food products can still be sent to the USA if they are intended to be consumed by the recipient (or their household) and were initially sent over to the USA as a gift or food-parcel... :confused: :confused:

Sounds like it is something else to bear in mind when asking English relatives to send over food products though!

Cheers for that NC Penguin :)

Ash UK/US Dec 11th 2003 1:57 am

Originally posted by CitySimon
Having read through the statement, it sounds like this only affects food if it is being imported for re-sale on to a third party.

In the "What foods are excluded from the prior notice requirement?" section the following points are of relevence:

1) food carried by or otherwise accompanying an individual arriving in the United States for that individual's personal use (i.e., for consumption by themselves, family, or friends, and not for sale or other distribution);

4) food that was made by an individual in his/her personal residence and sent by that individual as a personal gift (i.e., for non-business reasons) to an individual in the United States.

This says to me that personal food products can still be sent to the USA if they are intended to be consumed by the recipient (or their household) and were initially sent over to the USA as a gift or food-parcel... :confused: :confused:

Sounds like it is something else to bear in mind when asking English relatives to send over food products though!

Thats the way I read it too... doesn't sound like people mailing small packages should have too much hassle.. i guess time will tell.

Ash :)

Gross50 Dec 12th 2003 1:56 pm

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Thats the way I read it too... doesn't sound like people mailing small packages should have too much hassle.. i guess time will tell.

my understanding is you are no longer allowed to ship foodstuff without authorisation. you will now require permission when shipping foodstuffs with your belongings. i was informed so by the international removals company handling my shipment.

Pimpbot Dec 12th 2003 3:18 pm

This is probably why my other "care" package from my parents is being held up. Posted the same day as my other goodies, but it still hasnt arrived :(

NC Penguin Dec 12th 2003 4:29 pm

Originally posted by CitySimon

There is nothing on the page that states explicitly that the rules apply to food sent by others to you nor does does it state that the rules exclude such food gifts.

So, it's actually a gray area until someone tries to send another food to the US. Pimpbot may have discovered that it does include one's family send family in the US food.

NC Penguin

Ash UK/US Dec 12th 2003 8:33 pm

Originally posted by Gross50
my understanding is you are no longer allowed to ship foodstuff without authorisation. you will now require permission when shipping foodstuffs with your belongings. i was informed so by the international removals company handling my shipment.
Sorry I was talking about small packages being mailed through the postal system. I received some chocolate about 3 weeks back and I am waiting of some christmas puddings that have been sent. I will just have to see how it turns out.

NC Penguin Dec 14th 2003 3:11 pm

Does include Food Sent by Family Overseas!!

'Fraid the rules I mentioned does include food sent to you from any friend or family overseas.

Here's the link to the FAQ
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~pn/pnqaguid.html#scope

Below is the specific part stating that the new rules apply to foods sent as gifts.

Gifts:
32. Does prior notice apply to food sent as gifts from family living outside the U.S.?

If the food was made by an individual in his/her personal residence and sent by that individual as a personal gift (i.e., for non-business reasons) to an individual in the United States, prior notice is not required (21 CFR 1.277(b)(2)). Other food products sent as gifts are subject to the prior notice requirement (21 CFR 1.277) . FDA recognizes that, in these circumstances, the sender who purchased the food as a gift may not have the manufacturer/producer registration number. Thus, the sender can use the name and address of the firm that appears on the label. A registration number need not be provided (21 CFR 1.281(a)(6)).

The FDA is accepting comments on this new rule. See below for the contact details for making comments.

"We understand that many persons sending food to the U.S. may not know much of the required information. The FDA is accepting comments about their requirements. Please contact them at 301-827-0959." This paragraph was copied from the original link I gave in the initial post of this thread.

I for one will certainly be leaving comments about how ridiculously unworkable this Prior Notice System is. Of all the times in the year to implement such a system too!

NC Penguin

Ash UK/US Dec 14th 2003 4:22 pm

I received my christmas puddings yesterday...much to my surpise. My parents had also sent 2 packets of birds brandy sauce... one of the packets had split, white powder had covered the package inside and out... the postman delivered it in a plastic bag. There was nothing mentioning the little mishap or the new regulations on the package.

NC Penguin Dec 14th 2003 4:58 pm

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
I received my christmas puddings yesterday...much to my surpise. My parents had also sent 2 packets of birds brandy sauce... one of the packets had split, white powder had covered the package inside and out... the postman delivered it in a plastic bag. There was nothing mentioning the little mishap or the new regulations on the package.

I think it's safe to say that your Christmas puddings were sent to you before 12 December, the date when this new rule came into effect :)

NC Penguin

Ash UK/US Dec 14th 2003 5:08 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I think it's safe to say that your Christmas puddings were sent to you before 12 December, the date when this new rule came into effect :)

NC Penguin
Yeap that is true. See what happens with furture 'care packages' maybe I will have to stock up more on future trips home.