Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending belongings before applying for visa

Sending belongings before applying for visa

Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

BigFriendlyDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending belongings before applying for visa

Looking for some advice here. I've got some boxes of books that I want to ship over to my soon-to-be fiancee (officially, once my divorce comes through), so that they'll be there for me visiting in just over 2 weeks. Anyone know of any restrictions on me shipping them as personal - or should I just pay up the duty?

D
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending belongings before applying for visa

If you're a new immigrant (i.e. with an immigrant visa) you get exempted duty on personal goods over one year old that accompany you or that are shipped at the same time you migrate. I'm not sure that whether that's available for a K-1 fiance visa as it is technically a non-immigrant visa. I would expect you would have to pay duty on items shipped before you migrate, but are books dutiable anyway?
Old Aug 13th 2014, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

WhyteBoar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sending belongings before applying for visa

When I worked for a bookseller all the books we shipped to the US were exempt from duty. I wouldn't imagine that has changed.