Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Semi-Retirement in US

Semi-Retirement in US

Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:59 am
Just Joined

lontgimeLAaffinicado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Semi-Retirement in US

1st - thanks in advance for bothering to respond. I'm 60 and aware that life is short and for many years I've spent a lot of money coming to the US with my family. I want a home somewhere in LA (near the sea) and I want to come and go at will - probably not spending more than 6 months at any one time. I don't think I want to become a US citizen though it is a possibility. But really I'd be happy with visiting and I figure that the US should enable that because as a westerner I'd spend money in the US. So what are the do's and don'ts? Is it possible to 'visit' easily - do you get hassled - or do you have to go for it fully?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:11 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Semi-Retirement in US

Originally Posted by lontgimeLAaffinicado
1st - thanks in advance for bothering to respond. I'm 60 and aware that life is short and for many years I've spent a lot of money coming to the US with my family. I want a home somewhere in LA (near the sea) and I want to come and go at will - probably not spending more than 6 months at any one time. I don't think I want to become a US citizen though it is a possibility. But really I'd be happy with visiting and I figure that the US should enable that because as a westerner I'd spend money in the US. So what are the do's and don'ts? Is it possible to 'visit' easily - do you get hassled - or do you have to go for it fully?
Many will be along to tell you why this isn't possible. You really need to be an immigrant to do this, desire and a westerner (British) isn't enough.
Unless you have lots of money (lots) to invest in this.
Check online as there is a nearly limitless supply of 55 plus ladies looking possibly for someone like you.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:20 am
Just Joined

The 'British' bit is about not guaranteed non-upsetting of the apple cart - the UK is a an 'aircraft carrier' for the US anyway.... The option you mention doesn't work though as my partner may just have a problem with that. Is it the duration that's a problem - 3 months maybe - or is it that bringing in regular money just doesn't cut it with the US? In the UK right now - relatively wealthy people from anywhere are wanted as long as they don't kidnap the nationals (no matter what the UK government and UKIP put out there).. Are you saying the US is just too insular for openness to UK oldies and that being straight can't work? That US borders will start to make a problem?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Just to say - I am of working age and without going into details: for the academic world I have the chops for work. But I suspect that visas end after a job ends. I also have 'Alien of Special skills' or whatever that immigration distinction is - I have work scattered around the globe. I suppose I was naively hoping that this was basically a grown up proposition. I'm not trying to scam anything, I'll pay my way and I'll 'add value'. But from your replay I get that all of that is just plain naive....
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say - I am of working age and without going into details: for the academic world I have the chops for work. But I suspect that visas end after a job ends. I also have 'Alien of Special skills' or whatever that immigration distinction is - I have work scattered around the globe. I suppose I was naively hoping that this was basically a grown up proposition. I'm not trying to scam anything, I'll pay my way and I'll 'add value'. But from your replay I get that all of that is just plain naive....
A read of this from the BE wiki will explain all you need to know about getting a visa to live in the US, otherwise you are limited to the VWP, 90 days in the US then at least 90 days outside, and not Canada or Mexico.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:36 am
Just Joined

OK - I get it - I was naive.... Maybe I'll start a business - thanks
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:59 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you are of retirement age, you might want to consider a B2 visa which allows 6 month stays as a visitor. Failing that, it's 90 days on the VWP.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say - I am of working age and without going into details: for the academic world I have the chops for work. But I suspect that visas end after a job ends.
Non-immigrant visas end after the work ends. But if you could qualify for an employment based immigrant visa, then you could remain in the U.S. indefinitely.

The 'British' bit is about not guaranteed non-upsetting of the apple cart - the UK is a an 'aircraft carrier' for the US anyway.
However, there are no special immigration benefits for British citizens.

Is it the duration that's a problem - 3 months maybe
If you want to visit regularly, then you can normally do that on the visa waiver program or get a B-2 visa, which can be an option for those in retirement.

- or is it that bringing in regular money just doesn't cut it with the US? In the UK right now - relatively wealthy people from anywhere are wanted as long as they don't kidnap the nationals (no matter what the UK government and UKIP put out there).. Are you saying the US is just too insular for openness to UK oldies and that being straight can't work? That US borders will start to make a problem?
The U.S. is open to wealthy migrants - perhaps research the EB-5 immigrant visa option.

Something you may also want to consider is U.S. tax - if you become a permanent resident, then you also become U.S. tax resident which may or not be a problem. And you can even become U.S. tax resident if you start spending too much time in the U.S. as a non-immigrant and you probably want to avoid that. California has a lot of state-specific tax issues to watch out for too.

You also talk about buying a home in the U.S., perhaps also consider the possibility of U.S. (and/or California) capital gains tax on disposal, property taxes and also the U.S. estate tax at death. Plus any California estate tax issues, if this were ever to be re-introduced.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Westerners spend more money - than whom?

Sounds like you only want to visit really - VWP should work or B2 if you've retired, as mentioned above.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Westerners spend more money - than whom? .....
I guess he is unfamiliar with the tycoons of China and SE Asia.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is no retirement or semi-retirement visa for the US.

As you just want to visit and, at age 60 you are probably not too much of a risk at trying to find work, then apply for a B2 visa which gives you up to 6 months in the country.

However, make sure you have strong ties in the UK so that when you apply for the visa you won't give the officials reasons to think that you might try and stay in the US indefinitely.

Don't forget about health insurance for the US. Since you will not be a permanent resident you will find it difficult to get the main US health insurance companies (Blue Cross/Blue shield/Aetna/Cigna etc) to give you a policy. So you probably need to look for an international company to cover you.