Semi-OT: Bringing (used) Canadian car to US

Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Semi-OT: Bringing (used) Canadian car to US

Originally posted by Rich Wales
Mattias Hembruch wrote:

> As of approx 2001, IIRC, all cars imported HAVE to have
> air bags, regardless of the original manufacturing spec.

AFAIK, this is not strictly correct. Used vehicles being imported
into the US from Canada (or elsewhere) must meet the requirements
which were in effect IN THE U.S. for new vehicles built during the
model year in question -- which may or may not be the same as the
non-US requirements (for the same year) to which a given car was
originally built.

> My '94 Corrado (relatively rare car) does NOT have airbags.
> It actually meets California emissions for '94 . . . but
> because of the lack of airbags, I can't take it. WAY too
> much $$$ to retrofit airbags.

Again, this is because US rules for the '94 model year required
air bags for all new cars -- but Canada didn't require this at
that time.

From the mid-80's until the mid-90's, US and Canadian vehicle
"safety" requirements diverged considerably -- primarily because
the US imposed various kinds of "passive restraint" rules to make
accidents more survivable when drivers refused to fasten their
seat belts. Canada, on the other hand, addressed the problem by
enacting mandatory seat belt legislation -- something Congress
never could reach a consensus on in the States.

Oddly enough, when the US first started requiring new cars to
have "passive restraint" systems in the mid-80's, many US-market
cars were illegal for importation to Canada, because some of the
new schemes (especially the lap-and-shoulder belts that had the
two outer points attached to the door, rather than to the car
body) were not considered safe enough to meet Canadian rules.
Conversely, many Canadian-market cars of the same period were
illegal for importation to the US, because their old-style,
three-point lap-and-shoulder belts weren't idiot-proof enough
to meet the new US requirements. The advent of air bags, their
adoption in Canada as well as the US, and the subsequent return
to "plain old" lap-and-shoulder belts made this issue pretty
much disappear for most cars built in or after the mid-90's.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.
Hi:

Historical side note -- for the 1974 model year, the US imposed a seat belt interlock requirement. The concept was simple -- buckle your seatbelt and then start the car. You could NOT start the car until the driver's seat belt was fastened.

My dad had a 1974 Ford and that interlock was not a problem. However, many people DID find it to be a problem and would leave the belt buckled all the time which was quite uncomforatble to sit on top of. The interlock was discontinued as politically undesirable.

BTW, I have a new car which is the first one I've ever had with the interlock that you can't start the car without firmly stepping on the brakes. Since I learned to drive in the day of carberated cars [and a manual choke!], I've been used to stepping on the gas slightly when starting. In fact, this car simply requires the ignition key to be moved to "start" and the engine management computer determines how long to run the starter motor until the engine "catches".
Old Mar 31st 2004, 1:19 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Historical side note -- for the 1974 model year, the US imposed a seat belt interlock requirement. The concept was simple -- buckle your seatbelt and then start the car. You could NOT start the car until the driver's seat belt was fastened.

My dad had a 1974 Ford and that interlock was not a problem. However, many people DID find it to be a problem and would leave the belt buckled all the time which was quite uncomforatble to sit on top of. The interlock was discontinued as politically undesirable.

BTW, I have a new car which is the first one I've ever had with the interlock that you can't start the car without firmly stepping on the brakes. Since I learned to drive in the day of carberated cars [and a manual choke!], I've been used to stepping on the gas slightly when starting. In fact, this car simply requires the ignition key to be moved to "start" and the engine management computer determines how long to run the starter motor until the engine "catches".
Manual chokes. There's a memory

I never drove one but my Mum had a Mini when I was a kid and I remember it well. You had to pull the choke all the way out when starting the car and then push it halfway back in after the car had started........

Oh the joy of vinyl seats in summertime..lol

I found myself until recently wanting to put my foot on the brake when starting the car, in lieu of a clutch as I had always driven manual transmission cars before I came to the US.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lairdside
Manual chokes. There's a memory

I never drove one but my Mum had a Mini when I was a kid and I remember it well. You had to pull the choke all the way out when starting the car and then push it halfway back in after the car had started........

Oh the joy of vinyl seats in summertime..lol

I found myself until recently wanting to put my foot on the brake when starting the car, in lieu of a clutch as I had always driven manual transmission cars before I came to the US.
Hi:

The last manual choke I had was on a 1976 Honda Civic with the "CVCC" engine. However, the pollution controls on the engine opened the choke automatically after a while -- so you just closed the thing to start the car.

From 1972 to 1996, I had always owned stick-shift cars. I remember my mother borrowing my first stick shift car -- a 1968 VW Bug. Mom had learned to drive on a three-speed where the idea was to get up to "top" gear as soon as possible. So after she drove it, she complained about having to get to FOURTH gear quickly, one extra gear and the car seemed unhappy on city streets in that gear! Groan and fear for my clutch.

Mom never did drive my subsequent five-speeds. On the new car, we actually test drove a manual SIX-speed. However, we figured that automatic transmissions now last forever if maintained and fluid changes are cheaper than clutch replacements and the gasoline mileage difference is now minimal. Also, neither of our daughters have learned to drive stick and I think its unfair to ask a friend to offer a sacrifical clutch. Sigh -- I think they should know how to drive one. So, a six-speed automatic it is.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 4:59 pm
Tim Hortons' Addict

WretchedMidget is an unknown quantity at this point

>> My '94 Corrado (relatively rare car) does NOT have airbags.
>> It actually meets California emissions for '94 . . . but
>> because of the lack of airbags, I can't take it. WAY too
>> much $$$ to retrofit airbags.
>Again, this is because US rules for the '94 model year required
>air bags for all new cars -- but Canada didn't require this at
>that time.

Ick, my car is a 94 Toyota Tercel.. without airbags. I guess that answers my question easy enough. I'm thinking the easiest thing to do now would be to sell it up here, and buy a new car once I get down to the US. I did love that car, though.. sigh.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 3:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... However, we figured that automatic transmissions now last forever if maintained and fluid changes are cheaper than clutch replacements .....
No, even new auto 'boxes get "soggy" after just a couple of years, and the transmission fluid needs changing every 30,000 miles, and do garages (for both US and Japanese cars) ever stick it to you to flush and replace the auto 'box fluid?

..... And in any case, how often do you need to change a clutch? Both my wife and I have owned stick-shifts that have run over 100,000 miles without ever showing any signs of needing their clutch replaced.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 5:14 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Hi:

The last manual choke I had was on a 1976 Honda Civic with the "CVCC" engine. However, the pollution controls on the engine opened the choke automatically after a while -- so you just closed the thing to start the car.

From 1972 to 1996, I had always owned stick-shift cars. I remember my mother borrowing my first stick shift car -- a 1968 VW Bug. Mom had learned to drive on a three-speed where the idea was to get up to "top" gear as soon as possible. So after she drove it, she complained about having to get to FOURTH gear quickly, one extra gear and the car seemed unhappy on city streets in that gear! Groan and fear for my clutch.

Mom never did drive my subsequent five-speeds. On the new car, we actually test drove a manual SIX-speed. However, we figured that automatic transmissions now last forever if maintained and fluid changes are cheaper than clutch replacements and the gasoline mileage difference is now minimal. Also, neither of our daughters have learned to drive stick and I think its unfair to ask a friend to offer a sacrifical clutch. Sigh -- I think they should know how to drive one. So, a six-speed automatic it is.
I wanted to buy my car in a manual transmission but unfortunately it is only available in the US with an automatic transmission.

She is 4 years old now and so far no "soggy" transmission problems *fingers crossed*.

The fluid changes etc are taken care of as part of the regular B service. I do have my car serviced and maintained properly.

I have clutchless gears and that partially appeases my paranoia re my "What if my brakes fail and I need to use engine braking to slow the car down" fear.

It's not the same though

I have bitched up a storm at both the Mercedes and Porsche dealerships about the fact that they do not offer these cars with a manual transmission in the US - you'd have to special order the car from Germany (which would be horrendously expensive!)

They made the mistake of asking me what, if anything, I'd like to see changed about the cars.

It's almost enough to make me buy a BMW.

I've told my daughter that she can drive whatever she wants but if she expects me to pay for it she will have to learn to drive and pass her test in a manual.

But then I'm just wicked... she's come to expect it of me and it wouldn't be fair of me to disappoint her

Last edited by lairdside; Apr 1st 2004 at 5:23 am.