Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selling up... If you had to leave?

Selling up... If you had to leave?

Old May 11th 2015, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling up... If you had to leave?

Hi all

If you had to leave... if your visa came to an end and there was no option...

Where would you sell your car? Privately I guess to get the best deal?

We are in the H1B 60k CAP group (made it through from the 233k applications). So it's looking good so far! However if we don't make it, just thinking about the plans for the future now. Not that I do that much "Planning" too often, but thinking ahead for once
Old May 11th 2015, 5:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling up... If you had to leave?

Any "gain" by selling privately can quickly be wiped out by having to rent a car after you have sold yours. Get a price from Carmax a few days befor departure, which IIRC is "good" for 5-7 days, then drop it off on the way to the airport.
Old May 11th 2015, 6:17 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
Hi all

If you had to leave... if your visa came to an end and there was no option...

Where would you sell your car? Privately I guess to get the best deal?

We are in the H1B 60k CAP group (made it through from the 233k applications). So it's looking good so far! However if we don't make it, just thinking about the plans for the future now. Not that I do that much "Planning" too often, but thinking ahead for once
One could also look into consignment lots and/or auto brokers.
I've known peeps who have done this sorta thing via POA's but you need to really, really trust that individual!! Or, find out what dealerships are willing to give you ahead of time and head there on your last day, with a caveat of a shuttle ride to the airport from them!
Old May 11th 2015, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you

(I got it from Carmax, and did find buying there to be pretty good, so I may even call in there soon just to check out the process and price "today"!)
Old May 12th 2015, 11:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you own the car outright? As in no loan on it.
Old May 12th 2015, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I do.

I own the title.

No lien

I guess if I did have a loan, that could complicate things.
Old May 12th 2015, 4:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
..... I guess if I did have a loan, that could complicate things.
Not much, if selling to a dealer - they are perfectly used to taking trade-ins on finance and paying it off.
Old May 12th 2015, 4:40 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I sold my car to CarMax when work gave me a car and saw no point in keeping my car as it was only for getting to work anyways. I could've got quite a bit more with a private sale but I didn't want the hassle and was in and out of CarMax in under an hour and I didn't own the car outright so I imagine your situation would be even simpler.
Old May 12th 2015, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not much, if selling to a dealer - they are perfectly used to taking trade-ins on finance and paying it off.
Would depend on the loan being above water wouldn't it?

This car max thing seems interesting.

Here unless you have a car that is in high demand used, dealers want nothing to do with you if your not going to buy a car from them.
Old May 12th 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Would depend on the loan being above water wouldn't it? ....
The only thing that would change is the direction of the cash settlement. If you took Carmax a car worth $20,000 with a $21,000 loan on it, you'd just have to pay Carmax $1,000 to take it off your hands.
Old May 12th 2015, 5:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Carmax. They gave hubby a better price than the dealership did.