Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

Originally Posted by Pennywell
From what I have read the housing market is very gloomy in the UK at the moment so if you sell you may need to lower your expectations with regards to value to get a quick sale.
I already lowered my expectations by 12% and still can't attract many offers, those that I do get are another 5% down on the already low asking price. Almost 20% off last year's price is crippling, you have to have a boatload of equity just for it to be even worth selling.

Originally Posted by Martin Brown
If selling becomes more of a problem then perhaps consider remortgaging to get some equity out - to enable a US house purchase- and then let the UK house to pay the cost.
This only works if you have a very small mortgage at present (I presume this only applies to a minority) and a LOT of equity. You suggest taking on a BIGGER mortgage to release some equity? Then how are you supposed to rent it out when the rent you can get won't even cover anywhere near the bigger mortgage payment you just took out. It doesn't add up mate.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:36 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

At least in the UK when you rent out your property, the tenant is responsible for paying their own Council Tax (We rent out our house in Essex and we do have to pay for the water rates, although there isn't a water meter, just a fixed monthly fee).

We investigated renting out our house here in New Jersey - my spouse is relocating to Singapore later this week on another expat posting - but our housing tax is just under $13,000 per year! If we were to go ahead and rent our house out, the income would barely - if at all - cover our mortgage and property tax and that's before doing any repairs or maintainance.

Also in New Jersey if a family moves in and then stops paying the rent you can't evict them (unless you prove that you're moving back in yourself).

The market is pretty flat here too. My best friend is desperately trying to move home to Australia and has a gorgeous six-bedroomed Victorian with a wrap-around porch, just 15 miles west of New York City. She can't find a buyer and has reduced the asking price from $639k to $589k. Compared to prices in Greater London this is an absolute bargain....but with lots of layoffs in Wall St people are reluctant to take on a new mortgage.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Also in New Jersey if a family moves in and then stops paying the rent you can't evict them (unless you prove that you're moving back in yourself).
???
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:02 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Englishmum;6768740]

At least in the UK when you rent out your property, the tenant is responsible for paying their own Council Tax (We rent out our house in Essex and we do have to pay for the water rates, although there isn't a water meter, just a fixed monthly fee).

We rent out 2 houses in the US. You adjust the rent so that the council tax is inside the rent - so the tenant IS actually paying it - to you, and then you pay the tax yourself. Not only are you then sure it has actually been paid, but it is also tax deductible. It is an expense of renting out the property. Also HOA fees, management fees, yard work, etc., are tax deductible on a rental.

So all in all, it is financially a better deal.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ok so there are several of us part-way through the immigration process at the moment who are having a hard time selling etc.

We can collect any tips and experiences here to try and keep each other encouraged while we are trying to wrap things up in the UK.

I'll start.

After 4 months on the market with only two offers (one we accepted but they pulled out, the other was a low offer that I since wish I'd accepted but didn't) I've finished my contract with the estate agent we were with and have another coming around tomorrow for a free valuation.

This one sounded very confident on the phone and does not tie you into a contract, but rather just wants two weeks notice for you to leave them. That appeals to me. They were all like "we don't believe in tieing you into a contract, if you aren't happy with the service you should just call us and tell us why" etc.

Hopefully we'll be back on the internet by the weekend ready for some viewings.
I have just purchased a house in the UK negotiating approx 20% off the asking price for a quick sale...it had been on the market for 3 months. The house had previously been 'sold' but the propective buyers couldn't get a mortgage.

If you want to sell your house you must list it at a realistic price for today's market. IMO now until spring is a bad time to sell a house in most parts of the UK.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the lady from the new EA just left. She appears confident, and says she can't understand why the house hasn't gone at the price we had it up for. Who knows if that's true or a blag. She said it was on too low (!?!?) and advised us to go back up £5k and says it will be back on tinternet by Friday ready for weekend viewer searches.

Here's hoping for some interest!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck BG.

Let us know how you get on with new EA.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

I am in a similar boat, i dont want to sell just yet so i contacted my lender and negotiated changing my mortgage to interest only this has bought the payments down low enough that i can rent it out and even make a few quid every month
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Out of interest, can I ask what kind of reduction (as a percentage) does it work out at when you go interest-only?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
I am in a similar boat, i dont want to sell just yet so i contacted my lender and negotiated changing my mortgage to interest only this has bought the payments down low enough that i can rent it out and even make a few quid every month
It may make a difference (and a lot of sense) to your cash flow, but if you think about it it makes no difference to your overall financial wealth whether you're paying interest-only or interest and principal. You may be paying more in the latter case, but as that additional amount is paying off loan principal, you are increasing the equity you otherwise wouldn't have in the house. Of course, you may choose to have that "wealth" as available cash rather than tied up in the house.

Btw, other factors to consider when renting are the loss of interest on any equity in the property, and the cost of insuring it.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you want to sell your house you must list it at a realistic price for today's market. IMO now until spring is a bad time to sell a house in most parts of the UK.
Yeh, but which spring?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
She said it was on too low (!?!?) and advised us to go back up £5k
Personally, I would be very sceptical about that. We rented our house out for 2.5 years when we first came over and put it on the market in the spring to try and sell before any capital gains liability kicked in. Having now seen a little of the RE market in the US I was surprised how much the UK estate agents seemed to use a 'finger in the air approach' for assessing the value of a property rather than looking at comparable recent sales like they do here. It does seem that this information is not quite as readily accessible but I found the site www.ourproperty.co.uk does report sale prices, although usually a month or two behind. We actually ended up going with the estate agent that gave us the lowest valuation mainly because he was the only one that actually based it on comparable properties. We then decided to list just slightly below the competition and sold in less than a month - interestingly the comp property we looked at took another 4 months to sell and eventually went for 50K pounds less than ours.

I realise that there is a lot of luck involved and that the market has changed dramatically for the worse since the spring, but I think cutting through the EA bull and working out what is really a correct price for the current market makes all the difference.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:27 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

Originally Posted by Mallory
We rent out 2 houses in the US. You adjust the rent so that the council tax is inside the rent - so the tenant IS actually paying it - to you, and then you pay the tax yourself. Not only are you then sure it has actually been paid, but it is also tax deductible. It is an expense of renting out the property. Also HOA fees, management fees, yard work, etc., are tax deductible on a rental.

So all in all, it is financially a better deal.

If we did that, then it would put the rental price way above the prevailing market price for a similar sized house in our area - it's very expensive to live in the New York metro area so rents are much higher than in many other parts of the country ...

We're just going to keep the house and my son will continue to live in it (luckily we can trust him not to turn it into 'party central' LOL! ). I'm going to be coming and going all the time, too.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:29 pm

Lightbulb Re: The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

To the O/P:

Perhaps you might want to take a look at (and perhaps even post your experiences or queries) on the forums here:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/ (home page)
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Socal Local
I realise that there is a lot of luck involved and that the market has changed dramatically for the worse since the spring, but I think cutting through the EA bull and working out what is really a correct price for the current market makes all the difference.
Very good advice. I personally wouldn't use a real estate agent who couldn't back up their so-called valuation with recent real data for comparable sales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.