Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:01 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If we did that, then it would put the rental price way above the prevailing market price for a similar sized house in our area - it's very expensive to live in the New York metro area so rents are much higher than in many other parts of the country ...

We're just going to keep the house and my son will continue to live in it (luckily we can trust him not to turn it into 'party central' LOL! ). I'm going to be coming and going all the time, too.
Yes, NJ is so expensive, it would make renting hard. BTW the mortgage interest is also deductible if you did decide to do that.

We went to England for 2 weeks once, when our son was in HS, and our house did turn into party central! You may need hidden cameras, LOL.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Socal Local
Personally, I would be very sceptical about that.
Oh, don't worry, I am!

I'll fly with it for 2 or 3 weekends and see how many viewers we get, if nothing doing I'll knock the 5k off again.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

oldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud of

I recently put my UK house back on the rental market after trying to sell it. We now have tenants in it so it is paying for itself again. Prior to trying to sell it we had good tenants in for several years. We decided to sell it after they moved out, mostly because the two sets of tenants we had in prior were enough to put anyone off of being a landlord. One stole just about everything from the house and took off, the other took off when they could no longer pay the rent.

However, tenant problems fall into insignificance when considered against the stress involved with working with property management. Most of these leeches aren't very good, don't manage the property and make things more difficult. Unfortunately many mortgages require you use them.

So, I've taken the risk and gone back to the hell of being a landlord. I don't want to, but for me, I'm not willing to sell the house at a discount. Actually, it was already at a discount and the only reason I was willing to sell it at that price was the exchange rate. I guess I will lose out on that now, but I'll hold onto the house for another few years and hopefully catch an upturn in prices at some point.

The reason I mention all of this is some friendly advice...selling a house is hard right now and you should be prepared to evaluate the price you are willing to offload at. You might not get what you want and you might not be in a position to wait. On the other hand...good tenants are extremely hard to find and being a landlord, even with management in place is miserable.

Another thing to bear in mind is the tax implication of selling a house in the UK. For us we would have had to pay US tax gains due to having not lived in the house in recent years.

Very interesting that someone mentioned the idea of getting equity out of a UK house for cash to use over in the US. I might look into that.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Out of interest, can I ask what kind of reduction (as a percentage) does it work out at when you go interest-only?
my current mortgage is about 650 by changing to interest only it drops to less than 500 it means i can rent it out and sell in a couple of years when the market picks up
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:02 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
my current mortgage is about 650 by changing to interest only it drops to less than 500 it means i can rent it out and sell in a couple of years when the market picks up
In those couple of years the market is going to fall to the bottom. Then you will be putting your house on the market at rock bottom. In the meantime you will have paid all those years of interest for nought. It will take many more years for the prices to go back up. It's a bit like people who won't sell stock when it's falling, they are emotionally tied to it.

Better to sell the house and move on IMO.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
In those couple of years the market is going to fall to the bottom. Then you will be putting your house on the market at rock bottom. In the meantime you will have paid all those years of interest for nought. It will take many more years for the prices to go back up. It's a bit like people who won't sell stock when it's falling, they are emotionally tied to it.

I do think you're likely to be correct that prices will continue to fall. Houses are just too expensive relative to income as compared to historic norms. Only when that ratio returns to something like what it was before the current bubble will the market recover, imo. Plus, there will almost certainly be a large "overhang" of properties, like the one of the poster you were responding to, that have deferred selling and will come on the market at some point. That will also tend to depress prices for a while.

As to selling and moving on, in general I agree. Trouble is, aside from the emotional ties, it may noit be that easy. What if you have limited equity in the house? Leverage from putting a small percentage down works well for homeowners when prices are on the way up, but kills your equity on the way down. And then there is the nonsense of a house selling system that exists in England, with its chains and lack of any needed commitment by buyer or seller until far too late in the process. That kills the market in situations like the present, often making selling a painful experience.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 11th 2008 at 3:54 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:05 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

we have put ours on interest only and are renting it out. It means we can get some tax benefit now in the us and also - should the USA not work out for us at for some reason - (ie we cant get green cards or decide we dont want to stay or whatever) we still have a property in the uk and a foothold in the market to return to. Once we are sure we will be here for the long run and the market is at least selling stuff (regardless of if its up or down in price from now) then thats the time we might sell. To have it unrented now and trying to sell in a market where nothing is moving at all would be suicide .

So its not just about making a buck or cashing in equity - its about maintaining a foothold in a market we might otherwise have difficult returning to as fresh buyers at some possible point in the future.

Last edited by MsElui; Sep 11th 2008 at 9:07 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so it all got changed over yesterday, old ad disappeared from tinterweb overnight Wed/Thu and the new one came on yesterday afternoon (although there is no pic yet - maybe today) and the old board came down and new one went up yesterday too.

Glad we are on again ready for weekend surfers.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:10 am
In the pink

Originally Posted by MsElui
we have put ours on interest only and are renting it out. It means we can get some tax benefit now in the us and also - should the USA not work out for us at for some reason - (ie we cant get green cards or decide we dont want to stay or whatever) we still have a property in the uk and a foothold in the market to return to. Once we are sure we will be here for the long run and the market is at least selling stuff (regardless of if its up or down in price from now) then thats the time we might sell. To have it unrented now and trying to sell in a market where nothing is moving at all would be suicide .

So its not just about making a buck or cashing in equity - its about maintaining a foothold in a market we might otherwise have difficult returning to as fresh buyers at some possible point in the future.
Exactly right - everyone's situation is different! The fact that you want to hold on to your house long-term because you may go back to the UK is a great choice. I wasn't commenting on that. I was commenting on a situation where a person wanted to sell, but did not sell, because they were against lowering the price. If you WANT/NEED to sell "within a few years," you will eventually have to lower the price.

The housing market is like a pyramid. The bottom of the pyramid is made up of the 1st time home buyer. First time buyers can move up the ladder to more expensive housing, if someone buys their house. Then on up the ladder. If you destroy the foundation of a pyramid (do away with the 1st time home buyer for the majority of housing), the pyramid will "crash." The UK had closed off young people from buying their first house, and the BTL market moved in. In the end, you just had older people selling houses to each other, but few younger people coming in to keep the foundation secure. The pyramid is now on a shaky foundation.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

I find myself in quite a good position as far as renting out goes,

My sister and brother in law got ino a bit of financial trouble last year and ended up being made bankrupt, now they did not take there house as there was no equity in it so they have been advised to walk away rent somewhere and wait 5 years before trying to buy again

I will rent my house to them on the understanding they can buy it after 5 years, it works for them and for me
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:11 am
In the pink

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
I find myself in quite a good position as far as renting out goes,

My sister and brother in law got ino a bit of financial trouble last year and ended up being made bankrupt, now they did not take there house as there was no equity in it so they have been advised to walk away rent somewhere and wait 5 years before trying to buy again

I will rent my house to them on the understanding they can buy it after 5 years, it works for them and for me
You should have an agreement of how much they will pay you for it. Will they pay you in today's prices, or in the price it might be worth in 5 years from now? What if in 5 years it is worth 20% less than it is now? Are you prepared to take a 20% cut so that yr relatives can buy yr house? After a bankruptcy they will have to have a good down payment, and will pay a higher interest rate on a mortgage.

A lot of people think in terms of the last 12 years when prices doubled and tripled, in a bubble. We don't know if that will happen again. Prices might rise very slowly for quite a few years.

Good luck though. Time are changing, and everyone's situation is different. What works for one, might not work for the other!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always seeing those shows in HGTV about staging the home. Have to say, when we looked around, the properly staged houses did look far more appealing.

We eventually bought one that was far from staged, but I needed 3-viewings for my wife to look past the shag carpet (with original hardwoods underneath) and dreadful net curtains (covering victorian window mouldings) to see that it was a diamond in the rough.

I saw one owner so commited, that her and her husband had moved COMPLETELY into one small room in the house. Jammed in a microwave, bed, little desk... the lot. The rest of house was done like a show house.

Plenty of tips on-line about staging. Definitely worth a look, or maybe even conisder a professional, though most of it just seems like common sense i.e. paint walls beige, remove all the clutter and put it in boxes in the garage, completely de-personalise the place, like removed all photos or you and missus in Jamaica, etc.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:14 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly a couple of bits of good news, for once.

First off - mortgage rates. The Telegraph reports:
Four lenders have announced reductions in mortgage rates with one making a cut of almost one per cent.

Britain's largest lender Halifax, Lloyds TSB's lending arm Cheltenham & Gloucester, Abbey, and First Direct all announced reductions.

First Direct, which is part of HSBC, reduced rates on several deals by between 0.29 per cent and 0.99 per cent. The biggest change was from 5.98 to 4.99 per cent on its two-year fixed rate offset mortgage, an unprecedented drop in the current climate.
Next - exchange rates. Seems good old Sterling has had a bit of a rally, closing up 3.47 cents at $1.7931, according to the BBC.

Now, there's a nice start to a Saturday
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Woohoo! Break out the flags!

I hate that the pound isn't at $2 anymore, but I suppose I am grateful it's not £1.60 either.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Food for thought...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...home-back.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.