Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selling my vehicle ,advice please

Selling my vehicle ,advice please

Old Jul 5th 2009, 4:30 pm
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice
Default Selling my vehicle ,advice please

Hoping someone can advise me on the best way to sell my vehicle before I leave the US end of August hopefully .I have a clean good running F150.year 2003 .sport ,extended cab .I need funds for my plane tickets as although my house has been for sale 2 months ,nobody has looked at it !.I have heard of carmax but am wary as I am not doing a trade in
Old Jul 5th 2009, 4:51 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling my vehicle ,advice please

Craigslist, Ebay, local newspaper, a "For Sale" sign stuck in the window outside your house.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 5:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I second craigslist, we bought my car from there.
Lots of good pictures and a detiled list of what it's got and it'll be gone if it's priced right.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 5:59 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magistrate
Hoping someone can advise me on the best way to sell my vehicle before I leave the US end of August hopefully .I have a clean good running F150.year 2003 .sport ,extended cab .I need funds for my plane tickets as although my house has been for sale 2 months ,nobody has looked at it !.I have heard of carmax but am wary as I am not doing a trade in
I would wholeheartedly recommend Carmax.

I've sold two cars to them without doing a trade-in. The great thing is that it is their policy to NEVER ask whether you're intending to buy a vehicle from them before they give you an offer on your vehicle. And since they're a no-haggle dealer, they don't have anything to gain by hard-selling you in the 45-minutes or less that it takes to get a valuation.

In both cases where I've sold to them, they offered just a little over the value I expected from the Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds online valuation. In one case that was a real surprise because the automatic transmission was f***ed and the van wouldn't shift out of 2nd!

So, give them a go. Their valuation is good for 7 days, so you've got nothing to lose.

Here's the Carmax FAQ on selling your car to them:

Carmax FAQ
Old Jul 5th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had luck with cars.com, selling two through it.

I tried Carmax but they offered significantly less than I managed to get privately. Might have just been bad luck.

As others have said, the offer is good for 7-days from carmax, so no harm in getting a price then just seeing if you can beat it.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got a carmax near by, worth a punt...other wise search out autotrader.com and see what people think about the local dealers.

Same with craigslist, only thing with selling private to watch out for is what your state lemon laws are.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:29 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

If you absolutely definitely need it gone by the end of the week - eBay. You take your chances a little bit with the price you'll get (sometimes high, sometimes low) but someone will definitely buy it. Put dozens and dozens of photos, service manual copies, description, details etc in the listing.