Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

selling my car in CA - license plates

selling my car in CA - license plates

Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:28 am
Just Joined

siliconpete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default selling my car in CA - license plates

I'm selling my car through carbuyerusa.com in California - all the information I'm reading online says the license plates stay with the car but they insist I remove the plates when I come to drop off the car.

Does anybody have any experience with this? If I do take the license plates off am I required to return them to the DMV, any other paperwork other than the title I should be aware of? Thanks!
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling my car in CA - license plates

We left them on, one was a trade-in and one sold to Car Max.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You leave the plates on the vehicle, unless you have personalized plates that you want to keep.

How to Change Vehicle Ownership

What do I do with the license plate?

Most vehicles have sequentially issued "standard" license plates that remain with the vehicle when ownership is transferred. If the license plate is a special interest or personalized license plate, you must decide if you want to retain the plate for use on another vehicle, or release your interest in the plate. Complete a Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) (PDF) or a Special License Plate Application (REG 17A) (PDF) indicating your retention or release of the special plate and give the form to the buyer.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

That's strange....I just sold my car.
License plates stayed with
However, it was to a private party.
But I still believe that unless they're personalized - they're meant to remain on
Old Feb 25th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Also - Take a look here:

CA Auto Sales Paperwork - Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability, Bill of Sale, Title Transfer at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Note:
1.This is a private website, not DMV affiliated, but I believe their advice is valid.
2.Pay particular attention to the Smog Test requirement - in case it's relevant in your instance