Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selling a house in UK

Selling a house in UK

Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

SheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really nice
Default Selling a house in UK

Hi

I guess what I'm looking for here is some free legal advice!

I moved to the US last year and my partner stayed in the UK. We are now in the process of moving her out here and so we have put our house on the market.

We jointly own the property so both our names are listed on the deeds.

Do I have to physically return to the UK to sign the sale contract? We have a public notary in the office in the US - I was hoping to just write a letter authorising my partner to act on my behalf (I guess give her power of attorney) and have the letter notorised

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated

Rich
Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a house in UK

Originally Posted by SheffieldGuy
Hi

I guess what I'm looking for here is some free legal advice!

I moved to the US last year and my partner stayed in the UK. We are now in the process of moving her out here and so we have put our house on the market.

We jointly own the property so both our names are listed on the deeds.

Do I have to physically return to the UK to sign the sale contract? We have a public notary in the office in the US - I was hoping to just write a letter authorising my partner to act on my behalf (I guess give her power of attorney) and have the letter notorised

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated

Rich
You can do it all from this side of the pond...electronically and by courier...or you can authorise your partner (or anyone) to sell/sign the paperwork on your behalf. Your solicitor will require a notorised copy of your passport...I believe this is a legal requirement in the UK if you are not a resident. I've had to provide this for buying and selling property in the UK. It should be notorised by a practising lawyer...someone you work with or the manager of the local UPS office who are notaries will not be sufficiant.