Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selling a car privately

Selling a car privately

Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling a car privately

We have a car that we would like to sell privately...wondered if there were any pitfalls to avoid...or if anyone can offer advice. In New Jersey I believe the buyer has to pay the sales tax when he/she registers the car and that the seller has to hand the plates over to the DMV.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Selling a car privately

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have a car that we would like to sell privately...wondered if there were any pitfalls to avoid...or if anyone can offer advice. In New Jersey I believe the buyer has to pay the sales tax when he/she registers the car and that the seller has to hand the plates over to the DMV.
Yes you are correct about the buyer paying sales tax and the seller takes the plates to the DMV.

Last month I was on a short visit to our house in NJ and decided that there was no point in keeping our Volvo XC90 on the drive any longer when it wasn't being driven (I had been away for 7 months).

The Volvo dealer where the car had always been serviced was offering a rubbish price as I wasn't buying another car from them. I just didn't want the hassle of trying to find a buyer quickly and then getting time-wasters, strangers coming to my house, dealing with hagglers, worried that they might prang the car on a test drive (on my insurance!) or give me a dodgy cheque etc. etc.

I'd heard about CarMax, but the nearest one to our house is in East Haven, CT, (109 miles away) but I decided to go there anyway and see what they had to say. I was very pleased that they offered me $2000 more than the Volvo dealer! You get one week to make up your mind (you could still try to sell it privately I guess) otherwise they have to re-appraise their offer. Btw they didn't put any restrictions on how many max miles it could be driven in that one week if you don't sell it to them there and then. I drove home in it so I could use the car almost until my flight back to Switzerland.

Meanwhile we decided to change my son's Subaru Outback and get him a new car (Subaru XV Crosstrek). I wasn't happy with the dealer's trade-in offer (it was again a car with the full service history) and again thought I'd see what CarMax would offer for it. I was again very happy that CarMax offered $1800 more than the Subaru dealer

We took both cars to CarMax (went to the end of the GSP, then the Tappan Zee Bridge and Merritt Parkway, avoiding almost all of the I-95 and it was a very pretty drive). We just needed to produce the titles, registration certificate and photo ID and they gave us cheques on the spot. It only took a few minutes whilst they took the car reg plates off and handed them back to us - their driver gave us a lift in their courtesy shuttle van to the train station and we took the train to NYC (had a late lunch) then home to Short Hills. We contacted the insurance company to inform them that we'd sold the cars (it was a Friday) and my son took the plates to the local DMV on the Monday.

I was very, very happy with CarMax and highly recommend them to everyone.

PS. JG - they are also in Lancaster co. PA but we wouldn't have been able to get home! I was told by the receptionist that they may be opening a CarMax in NJ later this year (she thought it may be somewhere near Newark airport).

http://www.carmax.com

http://www.carmax.com/enus/we-buy-ca...PPL02Home_Page

http://www.carmax.com/enus/popup/why...to-carmax.html

PS. I didn't even make an appointment but both times I went on a Friday during the day

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 12th 2013 at 4:01 pm. Reason: Added some links
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a car privately

Thanks for that EM. We usually trade cars in but we are probably only buying one new car...so ideally only want to trade one car in. Hubby feels the same way as you about selling privately....he hates people coming to the house...even tradesmen. I suppose a banker's cheque or whatever it's called is the way to go as far as payment is concerned.

Good to know about CarMax...we bought our Cavalier Spaniel from Lancaster PA.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

SOLD.

The side of our property is along side a single lane road which is the main route between neighbouring towns. Hubby put the car at the side of the road 1 hour ago...within 5 minutes the phone started to ring. The buyer...a local guy...actually came with the readies.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:02 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

SOLD.

The side of our property is along side a single lane road which is the main route between neighbouring towns. Hubby put the car at the side of the road 1 hour ago...within 5 minutes the phone started to ring. The buyer...a local guy...actually came with the readies.
Nice, congrats!! Always nice when someone shows up with the cash!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bink
Nice, congrats!! Always nice when someone shows up with the cash!
Thank you. Now I'm wondering if we should do the same with hubby's Mercedes instead of trading it in.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:00 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Now I'm wondering if we should do the same with hubby's Mercedes instead of trading it in.
Can't hurt to try before trading it in can it? Do you know what the trade-in value is?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bink
Can't hurt to try before trading it in can it? Do you know what the trade-in value is?
It's easy to find out.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:17 pm
Rootbeeraholic

It's easy to find out.
Depends how good you are at not giving into a car dealer when you have the opportunity to get a new car on the spot...
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Craigslist is worth a go either ask for the word "Benz" in a reply by email or spell out part of your phone number.
State it is cash only and price firm or build in a discount in the advertised price.
If you do sell it do not to forget to delete the ad.
I have had good luck on CL