Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Self employed letter of employment

Wikiposts

Self employed letter of employment

Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Self employed letter of employment

As I suspected, I've been refused my first loan - because I don't have an employer. I was enquiring with International AutoSource for a car loan. My visa type (EB1A) doesn't require an employer, which is a bit of a problem as it's difficult to find a job until I have that piece of paper in my passport.

My initial plans in the US were to carry on working for my current employer, which they have already agreed to, but on a contract basis. I sell other software on the internet already, so I was planning to set up an LLC or similar once I arrived to handle that anyway. With the UK work it could be filtered through the company. Perhaps I need to consider bringing that formation forward.

My problem then becomes: can I write a letter of employment from myself to myself and, more to the point, is that sort of thing accepted for loans etc? Obviously I won't be able to provide history, only an estimation of future earnings, most likely in the form of an hourly salary on contract basis. Nothing obvious from Googling.

Thanks
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:08 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self employed letter of employment

Couple of years of US tax returns together with a couple of years of a good US credit history is what you need.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Couple of years of US tax returns together with a couple of years of a good US credit history is what you need.
Obviously, yes. But I don't yet.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Obviously, yes. But I don't yet.
craigslist. You can usually find a nice Saturn for $5k or so.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Perhaps I need to elaborate. I don't just want a car loan (not sure I really want one anyway; it was more to build credit history). If it's going to be a stumbling block for everything (apartment rental, for example) then I need to do something about it, and perhaps the company is the way to do it.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:44 am
Septicity

Perhaps I need to elaborate. I don't just want a car loan (not sure I really want one anyway; it was more to build credit history). If it's going to be a stumbling block for everything (apartment rental, for example) then I need to do something about it, and perhaps the company is the way to do it.
Learn to build your credit, then. Forming a company is not going to bypass this task.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that you can't create a credit history overnight.

Right now, as far as the big credit reporting agencies are concerned, you don't even exist -and since those agencies are what essentially everyone uses you have no credit history.

Whatever you do there will be a period when you first arrive when you will end up having to pay cash for things, put down deposits for utilities, cell phone contracts etc and pay a higher interest rate if and when you do actually get credit anywhere.

All of this is covered in the wiki.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I understand all that. However, you've missed the point. There are companies, including AutoSource, that bypass the credit history (or use your UK history, I don't know exactly) - specifically designed for immigrants with no credit history. However, even these require employment which is fair enough. My question was whether my own company can be considered for that; whether anybody here has experience in doing this successfully.

For phones, utilities etc, I already know I will have to pay cash deposits. That's not a problem. For apartments I know that I need to be concentrating on the smaller, non-chain type of complexes to get around the credit thing - but again, employment is most likely required.

ETA: Also, in this case, AutoSource give a discount if you sign up before leaving the UK. The discount appears to be the difference between factory and showroom price, minus fees, so it could be a couple of grand.

Last edited by GeoffM; Dec 8th 2011 at 3:06 am.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

My initial plans in the US were to carry on working for my current employer, which they have already agreed to, but on a contract basis. I sell other software on the internet already, so I was planning to set up an LLC or similar once I arrived to handle that anyway. With the UK work it could be filtered through the company. Perhaps I need to consider bringing that formation forward.

Thanks
Could you get a letter from your current employer saying that you currently work for them and will continue to do so once you move to the US?

We owned our own company in Canada and when we moved to the US we just told them we still worked for the Canadian company and used our Canadian pay stubs/tax returns/credit history. We were able to get a lease through Mercedes-Benz and a credit card from Bank of America.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand all that. However, you've missed the point. There are companies, including AutoSource, that bypass the credit history (or use your UK history, I don't know exactly) - specifically designed for immigrants with no credit history. However, even these require employment which is fair enough. My question was whether my own company can be considered for that; whether anybody here has experience in doing this successfully.
Actually, I didn't miss your point but I also did not specifically address it.

In my opinion you are unlikely to get very far towards your goal of accelerating the acquisition of a US credit history by setting things up so that you are employed by a newly created company (in the UK?) of which you are the owner and sole employee.

But, if you don't try you will never know ...
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Havnfun
Could you get a letter from your current employer saying that you currently work for them and will continue to do so once you move to the US?
It's an idea I could try. Would it be accepted as proof of employment, even though the employer is in the UK and the employee in the US?

Originally Posted by md95065
Actually, I didn't miss your point but I also did not specifically address it.
Ah, well, it's as good as missing it then!

In my opinion you are unlikely to get very far towards your goal of accelerating the acquisition of a US credit history by setting things up so that you are employed by a newly created company (in the UK?)
No, the US.

of which you are the owner and sole employee.

But, if you don't try you will never know ...
It's an expensive test if it doesn't work!

Thanks.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's an expensive test if it doesn't work!

Thanks.
It will be expensive if you don't try too though.

But the you are an employee of the company, so company letter headed paper, address etc, in the third person listing what your title is, employment and salary, should do the trick as far as this thing goes.

Lost nothing by trying it.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob

But the you are an employee of the company, so company letter headed paper, address etc, in the third person listing what your title is, employment and salary, should do the trick as far as this thing goes.

But if the company itself has essentially no history and only a PO Box number as a mailing address I am not sure that it will do any good.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

It's an idea I could try. Would it be accepted as proof of employment, even though the employer is in the UK and the employee in the US?
We didn't even have a letter just told them that we would continue to be paid by the Canadian company and they accepted it
Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Damned if I do, damned if I don't!

Originally Posted by Bob
Okay.

Originally Posted by Bob
Apart from $1000+ in filing fees and suchlike! Though I earlier said I would need a company eventually, I saw something yesterday that suggested this might not be necessary after all. More reading.

But if the company itself has essentially no history and only a PO Box number as a mailing address I am not sure that it will do any good.
I see your point. I could buy an "off the shelf" company, 2x-4x the price of setting up a new company, and not without its own risks. I wonder whether that would work.

Originally Posted by Havnfun
We didn't even have a letter just told them that we would continue to be paid by the Canadian company and they accepted it
I doubt I would be that lucky!

Last edited by GeoffM; Dec 8th 2011 at 7:57 pm. Reason: Quotes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.