Reload this Page >

Self assessment tax filing to HMRC

Self assessment tax filing to HMRC

Old May 1st 2023, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

lapreece is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self assessment tax filing to HMRC

hi I’m filing my self assessment tax for
as a full time US resident and am a full time employee in a U.S. company. I understand that since I don’t make over £12k of UK sourced income I shouldn’t have tax to pay to HMRC. I have a couple of UK rental properties (generating under the minimum) so need to fill out a self assessment.

Should I fill out “No” in the “Tailor your return section” for “Were you an employee”? I’m assuming they are asking if I was an employee in the UK not in the US. Declaring all of my US income exchanged into British pounds at the time of pay would be an administrative nightmare (just to be told I have no tax to pay to the UK) so hoping the answer is No!
Old May 1st 2023, 7:33 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self assessment tax filing to HMRC

So long as you were not tax resident in the UK at any time in the relevant UK tax year then you do not need to report employment income earned outside of the UK, therefore I would answer No. As you are aware you do have to report UK rental income but there should be no tax to pay to the UK if the income is below the personal allowance. You do have to report the rental income to the IRS and pay tax in the US on that income (plus state and city tax if applicable) if there is any profit after expenses and depreciation. After reporting UK rental income to the UK for several years with no tax to pay they eventually contacted me and told me to stop sending in a return. Maybe you have that to look forward to!