Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selective Service System

Selective Service System

Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future
Default Re: Selective Service System

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I find this snip form http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm v. amusing:

Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens...
There you go Severed, according to this, all you have to do is get yourself hospitalized or incarcerated and you're laughing, mate.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
It would also impose an effective minimum age requirement for many Visa'a.

Actually of course that only applies to Men.

Surprised we have not heard from any of the PC Feminists about the inequality of not being included?

I was really surprised reading this thread. I'd no idea this requirement existed. Anyway, I suppose if conscription/draft was ever revived in the UK Brits living in the US or other countries would be exempt ?

I wonder if women would be included in it in the UK ? I'm not an extreme feminist, and I'm way, way out of the relevant age group - but as in most other areas the sexes are supposed to be on equal footing, it seems odd that in this case women are totally exempt.

Let's hope it's all academic !!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Actually of course that only applies to Men.

Surprised we have not heard from any of the PC Feminists about the inequality of not being included?
So where would a trans-gendered person or a hermaphrodite stand? *l*
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie

I wonder if women would be included in it in the UK ? I'm not an extreme feminist, and I'm way, way out of the relevant age group - but as in most other areas the sexes are supposed to be on equal footing, it seems odd that in this case women are totally exempt.
It is weird considering they can be in the front line if they sign up...so they should be allowed to play the draft lottery along with the guys

I know I'd be on the first plane back to blighty if they bring back the draft, didn't bother to have Austrian citizenship at 18 because of the national service, not that I would have passed the medical...probably *l*
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

I know I'd be on the first plane back to blighty if they bring back the draft,
You and several hundred others - and I'd cheer you all the way there!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:50 pm
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future

I read the small print attached to the return form. It stipulates that I need only return the form is the information contained within the document is incorrect, it is not. Therefore, I surmise that I do not have to do anything at all. However, do you think that on the safe side I should return it? That said, I don't want them to think that I'm overly keen to get involved
Old Jun 15th 2005, 4:48 pm
GreenCard Holder

NKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SeveredNeurons
I read the small print attached to the return form. It stipulates that I need only return the form is the information contained within the document is incorrect, it is not. Therefore, I surmise that I do not have to do anything at all. However, do you think that on the safe side I should return it? That said, I don't want them to think that I'm overly keen to get involved

Hi,

I was reading this post as I posted a similar thread on the US. Marriage based visa forum. Severed, you said you received a card in the mail? My husband never received such a card and we only found out he was supposed to register when he attempted to apply for financial aid. He's now been in the U.S. more than a year and over the age to register.

What was your status when you first entered the U.S.? My husband came on a K3 visa and just received his green card a few months ago. We called the customer service and was told he could be fined for not registering.

Just curious what other people's experiences with this has been.

Na'imah
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Just send the bloody thing back to them filled out or whatever it says, if they organize a draft, which it looks like they might as they are running out of recruits, then they will want cannon fodder and probably start with 18 year olds then 19 etc etc. I doubt if they will draft 25 year old accountants etc because they need more admin staff, they want young people to shove behind a machine gun nest or whatever.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Just send the bloody thing back to them filled out or whatever it says, if they organize a draft, which it looks like they might as they are running out of recruits, then they will want cannon fodder and probably start with 18 year olds then 19 etc etc. I doubt if they will draft 25 year old accountants etc because they need more admin staff, they want young people to shove behind a machine gun nest or whatever.
He is over age now.

There problem is that they are using his non registration as a block to educational funds.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

He is over age now.

There problem is that they are using his non registration as a block to educational funds.
if you can write to SSS and plead your case that you didn't knowingly elude registration that it was just an oversight of the law - they may grant an exception.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the card received not state that the person has been registered? Therefore you should not be getting blocked from educational funds, From my experience only citizens can get to those funds anyway (rightly so).Immigrants can get loans however.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Does the card received not state that the person has been registered? Therefore you should not be getting blocked from educational funds, From my experience only citizens can get to those funds anyway (rightly so).Immigrants can get loans however.

Came over when he should have registered, as with many/most knew nothing of the need to register.

Now over 26, too late to register.

Funds I used in the general sense, could well be loans.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone wants to know if they or you are registered you just go to www.sss.gov and click on verify. Then you enter a couple of things and they will tell you if you are registered or not and if you are, the date you registered and registration number.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:02 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Well, with the numbers out yesterday that there are 10,000,000 non-legal aliens in this country:

Undocumented (illegal) aliens. Yes

Those males aged 18 to 25 must register.

That'd scare up a load more draftees.

If non-citizens could be drafted, could illegal aliens join the military as a way of making money? I hear the recruiters aren't making their quotas.....
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, with the numbers out yesterday that there are 10,000,000 non-legal aliens in this country:

Undocumented (illegal) aliens. Yes

Those males aged 18 to 25 must register.

That'd scare up a load more draftees.

If non-citizens could be drafted, could illegal aliens join the military as a way of making money? I hear the recruiters aren't making their quotas.....
You have to be a LPR to join, otherwise would they not be mercenaries?

But I agree with meeting the quota's.

I wonder how they know how many there are, a similar question arose in the UK and the Gov had to acknowledge they had no real idea. At best a guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.