Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selective Service (SSS)

Selective Service (SSS)

Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Selective Service (SSS)

Well, I arrived here when I was 25 and a bit... The SSS website seems to say you have to be resident over a year in the US to be required to register, which puts me at 26 for sure.

But is it worth registering anyway? Y'know for the 'moral character' thing when going for Citizenship eventually.

I wasn't going to bother originally, but it seems like I have nothing to lose. Well, if WW3 doesn't break out in the next four months anyhow.

Cheers.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Service (SSS)

Originally Posted by Drebin
Well, I arrived here when I was 25 and a bit... The SSS website seems to say you have to be resident over a year in the US to be required to register, which puts me at 26 for sure.

But is it worth registering anyway? Y'know for the 'moral character' thing when going for Citizenship eventually.

I wasn't going to bother originally, but it seems like I have nothing to lose. Well, if WW3 doesn't break out in the next four months anyhow.

Cheers.

Seems like you've answered your own question...
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
I suggest reading the US government's webpages about all this. If you fit the criteria to be registering, you create future problems for yourself if you don't register. Read up about it yourself.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:28 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
You seem to have answered your own question. If what you wrote is accurate, then the cut-off drop register for Selective Service (SS) is one year after your arrival date. If your use of the word "required" is accurate, then you are not precluded from joining SS before the one year anniversary date of your arrival. About as clear as ... swiss cheese. (Not legal advice, I have no expertise and I am not offering any expertise advise on the requirements or rules governing registering for Selective Service. I am not your attorney. General discussion purposes only.)
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:29 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Seems like you've answered your own question...
Must be something in the air today. Or something else.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by User Name
You seem to have answered your own question. If what you wrote is accurate, then the cut-off drop register for Selective Service (SS) is one year after your arrival date. If your use of the word "required" is accurate, then you are not precluded from joining SS before the one year anniversary date of your arrival. About as clear as ... swiss cheese. (Not legal advice, I have no expertise and I am not offering any expertise advise on the requirements or rules governing registering for Selective Service. I am not your attorney. General discussion purposes only.)
Yeah, I kind of thought that may be the case. I guess things can become even more complicated if they raise the cap of 26 to something higher (as I've seen rumoured on websites a few times).

But yep, stupid question really... I just wanted to make sure my own research was accurate.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:45 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Yeah, I kind of thought that may be the case. I guess things can become even more complicated if they raise the cap of 26 to something higher (as I've seen rumoured on websites a few times).

But yep, stupid question really... I just wanted to make sure my own research was accurate.
You are doing fine, just don't become an American before your time.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm, it quite clearly states you have to register within 30 days after you turn 18 or become resident and if you don't do it within 60 days you are technically in violation of the law. If you are not registered and you were resident before you were 26 you wont be able to register and are automatically disqualified from applying for citizenship, unless you have a very good reason why you didnt and succesfully appeal. The 1 year thing is they can't draft you if you have lived in the US for less than 1 year, nothing to do with registering.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 9:04 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Ummm, it quite clearly states you have to register within 30 days after you turn 18 or become resident and if you don't do it within 60 days you are technically in violation of the law. If you are not registered and you were resident before you were 26 you wont be able to register and are automatically disqualified from applying for citizenship, unless you have a very good reason why you didnt and succesfully appeal. The 1 year thing is they can't draft you if you have lived in the US for less than 1 year, nothing to do with registering.
The OP can register with Selective Service and have done with it. If he has any plans of becoming a USC, which he seems to have, he should join and have done with it. If the poster doesn't want to become a USC, he should still join and have done with it. There are folks who should have but didn't register who have become USC, but it is not advisable.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
he could continue to have good moral character for 3/5 years after and then still be able to apply for citizenship...
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
The OP can register with Selective Service and have done with it. If he has any plans of becoming a USC, which he seems to have, he should join and have done with it. If the poster doesn't want to become a USC, he should still join and have done with it. There are folks who should have but didn't register who have become USC, but it is not advisable.
Aye, but until you get your greencard, it's a mare to register online, have to send in the forms and do it the old fashioned way, which I did.

Speaking of, I've now been sent a pack saying Dear American...bla bla bla, join the national guard...errr...I don't think so
Old Apr 15th 2006, 12:11 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but until you get your greencard, it's a mare to register online, have to send in the forms and do it the old fashioned way, which I did.

Speaking of, I've now been sent a pack saying Dear American...bla bla bla, join the national guard...errr...I don't think so

Arrrrh Bob - the pleasures of living here, nearly always for the OH.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

... The SSS website seems to say you have to be resident over a year in the US to be required to register, which puts me at 26 for sure.
Not true. You were to sign up the moment you entered the US if you were a PR and as soon as you had filed AOS if you entered not as a PR.

There is no such one year waiting period. Yes, your signing up will bite you in the arse. It means you can't file for naturalization until you're 31.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete
Not true. You were to sign up the moment you entered the US if you were a PR and as soon as you had filed AOS if you entered not as a PR.
It's just a shame you can't sign up online until you are a PR, the old fashioned by mail way if your still in AOS...oh well *l*