Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selective service "reciprocal agreement" info needed.

Selective service "reciprocal agreement" info needed.

Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:34 am
Just Joined

dragonfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selective service "reciprocal agreement" info needed.

The U.S. Selective service grants an exemption from selective service for anyone who has "served more than a year with the military of any nation that has a reciprocal exemption."

So... does the UK and the US have such an agreement. I strongly suspect so, but proof is what I need. I have searched the Selective service database for hours and hours, I have searched the "UK in the USA" passport and embassy section, all to no avail.

Anyone have any real info?

Thanks,

DF
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective service "reciprocal agreement" info needed.

Originally Posted by dragonfighter
The U.S. Selective service grants an exemption from selective service for anyone who has "served more than a year with the military of any nation that has a reciprocal exemption."
Since there has been no draft in the US since 1973, I would suggest that signing up for SS will make no difference whatsoever in the grand scheme of things - if you can't find the proof you're after.

That said, the wording specifies "exempt from military service"... but, depending on your status in the US, signing up for SS affords some positive benefits.

Ian
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:24 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Sorry, not an answer, but a Question...

Are you between the ages of 18 and 25 ?

(If not, the Selective Service is not for you, as you are not eligible to register)
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I
Are you between the ages of 18 and 25 ?
Actually, the registration requirement is for males between the age of 18 and 26 residing in the US (legally or otherwise), i.e registration have to occur after the 18th and before the 26th birthday. Non-immigrants are exempt.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:22 pm
A I

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by discoviking
Actually, the registration requirement is for males between the age of 18 and 26 residing in the US (legally or otherwise), i.e registration have to occur after the 18th and before the 26th birthday. Non-immigrants are exempt.

Sorry, but that's exactly between 18 and 25 as I stated.
(When I say between 18 and 25, that includes 25, 364 days, but NOT 26. I still consider this as 25. NOT 26)

By the time you are 26 years old, (on your 26th birthday) you are no longer eligible to register.

By definition, You turn 26 on your 26th birthday, so you cannot be 26 before then.(years being defined as same month and day on next year...some years have 366 days, but let's pretend nobody is born Feb 29th) You cannot register while you are 26, but before your 26th birthday, as you suggest on your explanation, because this spot in time does not exist.

How about this:

If you are currently 18 or over, and UNDER 26, you are eligible to register. If you have already turned 26, you are too late and cannot register.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 2:33 am
Just Joined

dragonfighter is an unknown quantity at this point

Folks, please. Can anyone answer the original question?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:00 am
A I

Folks, please. Can anyone answer the original question?
Here's the answer to your original question...

NO.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reciprocal+exem...ry+service&l=1

BUT also look at § 315.2.6.i Ineligibility and exceptions, which mentions 18 months of service in a NATO country, which you might have.

Good Luck.

Last edited by A I; Jun 23rd 2010 at 3:09 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 4:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So... does the UK and the US have such an agreement. I strongly suspect so, but proof is what I need. I have searched the Selective service database for hours and hours, I have searched the "UK in the USA" passport and embassy section, all to no avail.
If you look at http://www.sss.gov it seems that even if such an agreement existed, you would still have to register for Selective Service. The issue would only ever arise if a draft was introduced.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you look at http://www.sss.gov it seems that even if such an agreement existed, you would still have to register for Selective Service. The issue would only ever arise if a draft was introduced.
Depends on what kind of visa he is here or will be coming here on. He did not say, but non-immigrants do not need to register AFAIK.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A I
Sorry, but that's exactly between 18 and 25 as I stated.
(When I say between 18 and 25, that includes 25, 364 days, but NOT 26. I still consider this as 25. NOT 26)
I read 'between 18 and 25' as being the period from your 18th to your 25th birthday. We will just have to agree to disagree on that interpretation.

Originally Posted by A I
How about this:

If you are currently 18 or over, and UNDER 26, you are eligible to register. If you have already turned 26, you are too late and cannot register.
Agreed, no room for misinterpretation in that statement.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:17 pm
A I

Originally Posted by discoviking
I read 'between 18 and 25' as being the period from your 18th to your 25th birthday. We will just have to agree to disagree on that interpretation.
Thanks for addressing my comment.

I can agree to disagree, but when you are 25years+330 days old, and someone asks your age, you (normally would) say 25, hence the reasoning behind my interpretation, in which you are still 25 until the day you turn 26.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So... does the UK and the US have such an agreement. I strongly suspect so, but proof is what I need.
Why don't you just contact Selective Service and ask them?

Can anyone answer the original question?
What difference could the answer possibly make? As mentioned earlier, there's been no draft in the US since 1973.

Note: If you are required to register for SS and don't, and you plan on becoming a USC, plan on it not happening until you are age 31 or over.

Ian