British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Selective Service (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/selective-service-106706/)

icantthink Feb 19th 2002 12:54 am

Selective Service

Now that I'm a PR, do I need to register with the selective service?

I was on H1 before this and I got my H1 when I was under the age of 26. Hmmm...I wonder if I should have registered back then....

Rete Feb 19th 2002 1:22 am

Re: Selective Service

You needed to have registered with the selective service as long as you were a resident in the US with or without a pr status. Since you are over the age of 25 you don't have to do it now. However, check into the instructions on the N-400 instructions. There is a blurb there about the need to have registered if you were within the 18-25 age group if you were here validly. You might have to register retroactively ;-)

Rita

Newyorker Feb 19th 2002 2:45 am

icantthink [email protected] wrote:

>Now that I'm a PR, do I need to register with the selective service?
    >
    >I was on H1 before this and I got my H1 when I was under the age of 26. Hmmm...I
    >wonder if I should have registered back then....

If you have already turned 26, you are now too old to register. If you had a
non-immigrant visa previously, you were not required to register at that time.

I stand to be corrected on the H1 issue, but being that it is assumed you are in
the US temporarily under this visa, you should fall into the non-immigrant catagory
with the SS.

The only thing to be concerned about would be if you did/do not register between the
time of becoming a permanent resident, and the day before your 26th birthday (if
this applies).

Here is the info if you do not have it. As well, you can register online.
http://www.sss.gov/regist.htm

Regards, NewYorker

All advice given is personal, not professional. If you need professional immigration
assistance, please consult a lawyer.

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Ranjini Feb 19th 2002 2:45 am

YES!!! You should have done it back then. But if you have failed to do so, you will
find the instructions on what you should do on Page 29 of the "Guide to
Naturaliztion". It says on Page 28: "If you are male and lived in the United States
(in any status other than as a lawful non-immigrant) at any time between your 18th
and 26th birthdays, you must be registered with the selective service system. If you
are male and entered the United States after you turned 26 years old, you do not have
to register". It also goes on to say that if you are still under 26 you can register
now. If you were required to register but did not before you turned 26 you must do
the following:
* Call 1-847-688-688 and complete the SS Systems Questionaire Form (males born before
March 29, 1957, should call 1-703-605-4047);
* Receive a "status information letter" from the selective service; and *Send the
"status information letter" with your application. Suggest you call the INS and
order a copy of the Guide. It is also available on their web site in .pdf format.
Hope this helps. Ranjini

"icantthink" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Now that I'm a PR, do I need to register with the selective service?
    >
    > I was on H1 before this and I got my H1 when I was under the age of 26. Hmmm...I
    > wonder if I should have registered back then....
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Rete Feb 19th 2002 3:08 am

New Yorker ... you do not have to have pr status to be liable to register for the selective service. A pending application requires that you register if you fall between the ages of 18 and 25.

Rita

Andy Platt Feb 19th 2002 4:05 pm

When should he have done it? He did *not* have to register when in H-1B status - as
you post in your message you don't need to if you are in "any status other than as a
lawful non-immigrant". H-1B is non-immigrant, even if you can stay here for six
years on it.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Ranjini"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
    > YES!!! You should have done it back then. But if you have failed to do
so,
    > you will find the instructions on what you should do on Page 29 of the "Guide to
    > Naturaliztion". It says on Page 28: "If you are male and lived in the United States
    > (in any status other than
as
    > a lawful non-immigrant) at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays, you must
    > be registered with the selective service system. If you are
male
    > and entered the United States after you turned 26 years old, you do not
have
    > to register". It also goes on to say that if you are still under 26 you can
    > register
now.
    > If you were required to register but did not before you turned 26 you must do the
    > following:
    > * Call 1-847-688-688 and complete the SS Systems Questionaire Form (males born
    > before March 29, 1957, should call 1-703-605-4047);
    > * Receive a "status information letter" from the selective service; and *Send the
    > "status information letter" with your application. Suggest you call the INS and
    > order a copy of the Guide. It is also available on their web site in .pdf format.
    > Hope this helps. Ranjini
    >
    > "icantthink" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Now that I'm a PR, do I need to register with the selective service?
    > >
    > > I was on H1 before this and I got my H1 when I was under the age of 26. Hmmm...I
    > > wonder if I should have registered back then....
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Ranjini Feb 19th 2002 4:05 pm

Thanks for clarifying Andy. I'm sure this discussion will give the original poster
exactly what he needs to know. Does he still need the "status information letter" to
go with his application? Ranjini

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > When should he have done it? He did *not* have to register when in H-1B status - as
    > you post in your message you don't need to if you are in "any status other than as
    > a lawful non-immigrant". H-1B is non-immigrant, even
if
    > you can stay here for six years on it.
    >
    > Andy.
    >
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Ranjini"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > YES!!! You should have done it back then. But if you have failed to do
    > so,
    > > you will find the instructions on what you should do on Page 29 of the "Guide to
    > > Naturaliztion". It says on Page 28: "If you are male and lived in the United
    > > States (in any status other
than
    > as
    > > a lawful non-immigrant) at any time between your 18th and 26th
birthdays,
    > > you must be registered with the selective service system. If you are
    > male
    > > and entered the United States after you turned 26 years old, you do not
    > have
    > > to register". It also goes on to say that if you are still under 26 you can
    > > register
    > now.
    > > If you were required to register but did not before you turned 26 you
must
    > > do the following:
    > > * Call 1-847-688-688 and complete the SS Systems Questionaire Form
(males
    > > born before March 29, 1957, should call 1-703-605-4047);
    > > * Receive a "status information letter" from the selective service; and *Send the
    > > "status information letter" with your application. Suggest you call the INS and
    > > order a copy of the Guide. It is also available on their web site in .pdf
    > > format. Hope this helps. Ranjini
    > >
    > > "icantthink" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Now that I'm a PR, do I need to register with the selective service?
    > > >
    > > > I was on H1 before this and I got my H1 when I was under the age of
    > > > Hmmm...I wonder if I should have registered back then....
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >
    >

Rete Feb 19th 2002 5:28 pm

http://www.sss.gov/inslink.htm

Federal law requires that men who are at least 18 years old, but not yet 26 years old, must be registered with Selective Service. This includes all male non-citizens within these age limits who permanently reside in the U.S. Men with "green cards" must register. Men living in the U.S. without INS documentation (undocumented aliens) must also register. Men cannot register after reaching age 26.

Non-immigrant men who are in the U.S. temporarily (diplomatic corps, trade mission personnel, men holding valid visitor or student visas, etc.) do not register.

A male non-citizen who first enters the U.S. as a permanent resident after he has already passed his 26th birthday is not required to register because he is over the age limit.

Women do not register because the law does not apply to them.

By registering with Selective Service, a man is not joining the U.S. military. He is only telling the government where he may be contacted if men must be called to serve in the military in a future national emergency. Even in an emergency, not all men would be called, and not all who are called would serve.

If a man fails to register as the law requires, he may not obtain:

U.S. citizenship (when a non-citizen applies for citizenship)

Government jobs

Vocational training (under the JTPA program)

Student loans and grants for college

It takes only a minute to register on-line. You must have a valid Social Security number to register this way.

Question:

Since an H-1B is a dual purpose visa and one can adjust status from it, why would they NOT be included?

David Turner Feb 19th 2002 6:52 pm

When I filled out my I-485 I though I read that by filling the I-485 it would
automatically enter you into the Select Serivces?

If this is not the case then I best get myself signed up.

icantthink Feb 19th 2002 7:50 pm

I checked with the SSA site and I am *not* registered.

But I had filed the 485 in 2000, when I was over 26 years of age.

icantthink Feb 19th 2002 9:04 pm

I just got off the phone with the Selective Service (847-688-6888) and they said that H1B holders are *not* supposed to register for Selective Service.

The rep said "It's a non-immigrant visa, right?" when I told her it's a dual-intent, she tapped a few keys and said that they list it as non-immigrant visa so I need not have registered.

Newyorker Feb 20th 2002 2:26 pm

Rete [email protected] wrote:

>New Yorker ... you do not have to have pr status to be liable to register for the
    >selective service. A pending application requires that you register if you fall
    >between the ages of 18 and 25.

I worded that real bad thanks for catching it Rete.

On the same note, this is the reason why (if applicable) a K1 non-immigrant visa
holder would register as soon as they married and filed for AOS, correct?

Regards, NewYorker

All advice given is personal, not professional. If you need professional immigration
assistance, please consult a lawyer.

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Rete Feb 20th 2002 2:31 pm

Correct. And if they didn't register when age required then when and if they go for naturalization they will have to submit the other forms that Ranjini mentioned otherwise their N-400 petition might be rejected.

Rete