British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Seeking a Lawyer with experience in household moving/shipping matters, in NC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/seeking-lawyer-experience-household-moving-shipping-matters-nc-533472/)

Anthony919 May 1st 2008 2:11 am

Seeking a Lawyer with experience in household moving/shipping matters, in NC

Does anyone know of a lawyer experienced with household moving/shipping issues, preferably located somewhere in North Carolina (the moving company is based in another state - does this make a difference where we hire a lawyer)?

I have run out of free/low cost legal options to try and get our case resolved without any of those options able to consider our somewhat complex case and now I feel that the only choice is to hire a lawyer, privately.
I have tried the state attorney general who isn't interested and I have also tried contacting the FMC, who have yet to respond.

This matter has got us enormously depressed and has cast a very large, permanent, UK/November-level cloud over us coming to the USA and enjoying our new life and all that we hoped.

farmerwife May 1st 2008 2:22 am

Re: Seeking a Lawyer with experience in household moving/shipping matters, in NC

Originally Posted by Anthony919 (Post 6290434)
Does anyone know of a lawyer experienced with household moving/shipping issues, preferably located somewhere in North Carolina (the moving company is based in another state - does this make a difference where we hire a lawyer)?

I have run out of free/low cost legal options to try and get our case resolved without any of those options able to consider our somewhat complex case and now I feel that the only choice is to hire a lawyer, privately.
I have tried the state attorney general who isn't interested and I have also tried contacting the FMC, who have yet to respond.

This matter has got us enormously depressed and has cast a very large, permanent, UK/November-level cloud over us coming to the USA and enjoying our new life and all that we hoped.

Sorry, can't help with a recommendation.

But to comment, legal costs can rack up and even if you get some recovery, it may not even equal what it costs you to get it. (Lawyers and court costs being $$$). Doesn't sound like an area of law where you can get those kind of lawyers who are happy to take on a case for shares.

Kaffy Mintcake May 1st 2008 2:29 am

Re: Seeking a Lawyer with experience in household moving/shipping matters, in NC

Hi there,

To answer your question about where you hire a lawyer - you may want to see if the company you used has some sort of dispute resolution agreement that you may have signed when you hired them. If so, it may designate whether or not an arbitrator would be used, and where proceedings might be held. Otherwise I think you can file in your state or theirs ... but may want to choose a federal court in your own state to avoid the possibility of the other company filing to move the procedures.

That's my understanding, but please doublecheck me, I'm not a lawyer. :)

BritGuyTN May 1st 2008 6:24 am

whats actually happened?

Deedee13 May 1st 2008 6:39 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 6291016)
whats actually happened?

yeah dying to know too... tell us the ins and outs...

Anthony919 May 1st 2008 11:08 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 6291016)
whats actually happened?

There has been a lot of damage to our stuff (not to regular HH items, like furniture, glass/crockery, etc.) and both companies involved are denying liability / responsibility for the damage.

lisag8070 May 1st 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Anthony919 (Post 6292018)
There has been a lot of damage to our stuff (not to regular HH items, like furniture, glass/crockery, etc.) and both companies involved are denying liability / responsibility for the damage.

Did you have insurance?.

jumping doris May 1st 2008 12:53 pm

Who do you suspect damaged it?
Was your container opened at customs? We were told by our UK packers of damage done by customs searches and I don't know if you have any come back then.

If it is insured would it be better to take a big breath and just walk away and start your new life

farmerwife May 1st 2008 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 6290493)
Hi there,

To answer your question about where you hire a lawyer - you may want to see if the company you used has some sort of dispute resolution agreement that you may have signed when you hired them. If so, it may designate whether or not an arbitrator would be used, and where proceedings might be held. Otherwise I think you can file in your state or theirs ... but may want to choose a federal court in your own state to avoid the possibility of the other company filing to move the procedures.

That's my understanding, but please doublecheck me, I'm not a lawyer. :)

That was my thought too - similar words on the back of shipping contract docs I saw last year. Arbitration first, then they specify the jurisdiction where any legal action would be.

HoosierDaddy May 1st 2008 3:14 pm

Do you have :

- Customer check off sheets
- Inventory exception receipts
- Rider to Inventories
??

All these can help to provide a timeline of who had the shipment and what condition they were in at that time.

NC Penguin May 1st 2008 4:55 pm

Hi and welcome to BE.

Since you don't describe much about the actual reason for searching for an attorney, here's my thoughts:

Who packed the shipment and is it noted on the contract. For example, the shipping company had employees pack all our stuff when we moved from London to Durham, NC.

Did you get insurance for the shipment and what does it cover?

Have you read the written contract thoroughly? Does it describe what should be done or who to contact if you wish to make a claim for damages?

If you can't find the information on the contract, does the shipping company have a website? Maybe the information about making a claim is explained there.

Also, check out this website about moving companies. If yours happens to appear on it, you may be able to glean information on how to tackle getting compensation for damages.
http://www.movingscam.com/

Anthony919 May 1st 2008 11:54 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions.

As to your questions, I don't wish to respond to them individually and I'm not looking for actual help on this site, just a pointer to a lawyer. I don't want to go through explaining the whole thing again on this site, as it is lengthy arduous and distressing. We believe we know who is liable, but there may be technicalities that free the guilty party from responsibility.

We have been through many months of fighting and trying to get justice and we've long passed the stage where either of the companies are willing to engage with us, never mind admit to liability.

The case is complex and needs the help of a lawyer who has experience in such matters. That's all I'm looking for.

md95065 May 2nd 2008 12:12 am

OK - assuming that you have made at least a preliminary estimate that the amount of damages that you are seeking makes it worth your while to spend money on an attorney I would suggest that you contact your local bar association who will be able to put you in touch with attorneys in your area who may be able to help you.

I would also suggest that you start out with a 1 hour consultation and really listen to the advice that the attorney gives you - in particular, you may beleive that you know who is liable, but if the attorney tells you that you don't have a particularly good case you should think very carefully before throwing money at legal proceedings.

scrubbedexpat099 May 2nd 2008 7:15 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 6296088)
OK - assuming that you have made at least a preliminary estimate that the amount of damages that you are seeking makes it worth your while to spend money on an attorney I would suggest that you contact your local bar association who will be able to put you in touch with attorneys in your area who may be able to help you.

I would also suggest that you start out with a 1 hour consultation and really listen to the advice that the attorney gives you - in particular, you may beleive that you know who is liable, but if the attorney tells you that you don't have a particularly good case you should think very carefully before throwing money at legal proceedings.

Sounds like you eed a lawyer familiar with Marine Law, might be an ask in NC, usualy they congregate in the main Maritime centres.

Presumably we are talking about serious sums, but then it appears there is no Cargo cover.