Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seeking Intl. tax attorney in NYC for inheritance advice

Seeking Intl. tax attorney in NYC for inheritance advice

Old Oct 12th 2018, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold
Default Seeking Intl. tax attorney in NYC for inheritance advice

Does anyone have an recommendations for an international tax attorney in NYC? I'm soon to receive a large inheritance from a British relative and want to make sure I have a plan in place so I don't trip over any IRS reporting rules.

In short, my current plan is to open an offshore account (Barclays International) to hold the bulk of the inheritance in sterling, pending a more favorable exchange rate, since I no longer have a UK bank account, but that brings its own FACTA issues that potentially complicate the form-3520 inheritance reporting thing. I've no idea if this is the best, or even a good, plan, so am after some professional advice.

Any leads appreciated.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all
Default Re: Seeking Intl. tax attorney in NYC for inheritance advice

There’s no federal inheritance tax, but check your state to see whether it has its own state inheritance tax.

Your only reporting requirements are the form 3520 to the IRS of receipt of foreign gift if in excess of $100k. If opening an account in the UK then you’ll need to declare the account on your annual tax return as well as file an FBAR, and declare to IRS any income generated on the account.