British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Seeing some cheaper airfares (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/seeing-some-cheaper-airfares-598599/)

penguinsix Mar 19th 2009 11:47 am

Seeing some cheaper airfares

Just saw $465 from NY the other day. Haven't seen prices like that in a number of years. What sort of fares are people seeing right now (just wanted to get some comparison ideas)

valis Mar 19th 2009 12:45 pm

Re: Seeing some cheaper airfares

$312+tax EWR>>>BRS!!! via Continental

Englishtart Mar 19th 2009 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by valis (Post 7397589)
$312+tax EWR>>>BRS!!! via Continental

I have been 'haunting' the cheap flight sites for the last week or so, looking to surprise hubby for our anniversary with a trip to Vegas. The fares were pretty good last week (should have booked then!) but they seem to be going up on a daily basis since then! Packages (air-hotel-car) seem to be the way to go, but even those are starting to go up. I was trying to book for late May, but that's probably the reason for increases, just realised it is memorial Day on the 24th (Anniv 23rd) Darn it!
Sorry, I'm guessing you are talking about flights across the pond? I'm just venting! done now ;)

BigDavyG Mar 19th 2009 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7397634)
Packages (air-hotel-car) seem to be the way to go, but even those are starting to go up.

Lots of big air and hotel sales underway or about to start - check out sites like expedia and orbitz for discounts (no booking fees, free hotel nights, etc).

Englishtart Mar 19th 2009 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 7397645)
Lots of big air and hotel sales underway or about to start - check out sites like expedia and orbitz for discounts (no booking fees, free hotel nights, etc).

Believe me, I am a regular visitor to any travel site out there right now. I am still hopeful of finding a good deal, thank you for the post ;)

Paul S Mar 19th 2009 2:42 pm

yup, just been looking as we have to head back in April for the 'dreaded' visa interview. Seeing return flights from Cleveland to Heathrow for under $500 per person will all the taxes

Poppy girl Mar 19th 2009 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7397381)
Just saw $465 from NY the other day. Haven't seen prices like that in a number of years. What sort of fares are people seeing right now (just wanted to get some comparison ideas)

I booked my flight to the UK a few weeks back for $550 rtn SFO to LHR, checked yesterday and departure is in 10days, Virgin, BA and United are all coming in at $458, thats cheap espcially for BA and lets not forget for Easter.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 19th 2009 7:00 pm

I got mine direct flight to Dublin from San Francisco for $699.

Bob Mar 19th 2009 10:18 pm

BA Boston Logan to Heathrow, $100 all in for cattle class standby with chance for free upgrades if there's space.

Contacts certainly help, but not much use to me.

naomi Mar 19th 2009 10:19 pm

U.S. Airways had some great deals (around 550 inc. tax round trip from Seattle). Problem was there was a 6 hour wait for the next flight in Phoenix. Since I'd be traveling alone with my 5-year old, don't think I could deal with that much waiting around. I'm looking everyday though, really want to get back in July.
Naomi.

Englishtart Mar 20th 2009 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7397634)
I have been 'haunting' the cheap flight sites for the last week or so, looking to surprise hubby for our anniversary with a trip to Vegas. The fares were pretty good last week (should have booked then!) but they seem to be going up on a daily basis since then! Packages (air-hotel-car) seem to be the way to go, but even those are starting to go up. I was trying to book for late May, but that's probably the reason for increases, just realised it is memorial Day on the 24th (Anniv 23rd) Darn it!
Sorry, I'm guessing you are talking about flights across the pond? I'm just venting! done now ;)

Update.... I booked the trip today, ended up changing dates to later in month, will miss Anniv by 2 days, but we can just celebrate it later, after hubby being gone over 6 months, I don't think 2 days will matter much:-)
Thanx for help on here guys you are a great bunch! :thumbsup:

Okuda Mar 20th 2009 3:50 pm

I got a return to Heathrow for the 1st for $525, its not direct tho, but for that price cannot grumble. This was with United... other airlines were about 6 or 700$.

Poppy girl Mar 20th 2009 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Okuda (Post 7401475)
I got a return to Heathrow for the 1st for $525, its not direct tho, but for that price cannot grumble. This was with United... other airlines were about 6 or 700$.

From where? mine is direct from SFO.

Brit3964 Mar 20th 2009 11:46 pm

Bought my ticket last month for the Easter period, CHS to LGW round trip for $697 inc taxes. It worked out cheaper going from CHS via CLT than direct from CLT! Weird.

AmerLisa Mar 21st 2009 2:40 am

I'm looking for SEA to LHR in late June or early July (or whenever its cheapest) I'm coming up with $900+ which isn't bad considering what we paid last year.....:eek: