Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

See you at the pool!

See you at the pool!

Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:46 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

How comparable/unbearable is the usually arrid 100F in AZ, to 90/100 in NYC with the baggage of incredible humidity levels?
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:32 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nathan barley
How comparable/unbearable is the usually arrid 100F in AZ, to 90/100 in NYC with the baggage of incredible humidity levels?
I cant stand the humidity round here, Its got to be more bearable with 0 humidity??
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

I've lived in both New York City and Arizona. I'll take the dry heat over the wet heat and sloppy snow any day.
I do miss NYC's culture and arts, though. Don't miss the crowds, terrible roads and awful subways.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Its a different world. I visted NYC once in late july early august. Never again!. Just simply walking out of the hotel had me in a sweat. Just before we hit the 100's last week, we had a couple of weeks in the mid 90's and it was beautifull weather. It was nice and warm, but without the sticky feeling. Today was around 110 and was pretty bearable as long as you were not in the direct sunlight. The only thing that really sucks, is when you first get in the car after its been sitting outside for awhile. Damn near burnt my arm on the center console of my brother in laws truck earlier.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I shall take comfort from the thought of all those rose petals landing in effi's pool there.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
I shall take comfort from the thought of all those rose petals landing in effi's pool there.
Yeah but think of the nice tan I shall be getting by cleaning my pool in my bikini.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 7:28 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the pool ready for the kids coming home from school. Not as warm as Arizona (we are normally at good 10 to 15 degrees warmer by this time of the year, but oh well) and a much smaller pool, but the feeling is still good

I will join you later, effi, with the cleaning

It can get very humid here but we are lucky with being on the island because we have the sea breeze. Helps keep us cooler than the city. I have heard from others, however, that the dry heat is a lot easier to handle. the temperature it is is the temperature you feel, whereas here, it could be 100f but feel more like 130f because of the humidity factor. When the humidity is high you can't sweat so your body can't cool itself naturally. thank heavens for air-conditioning. Couldn't cope without it (or the pool for that matter )

Old Jun 4th 2004, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Ben
Just got the pool ready for the kids coming home from school. Not as warm as Arizona (we are normally at good 10 to 15 degrees warmer by this time of the year, but oh well) and a much smaller pool, but the feeling is still good

It can get very humid here but we are lucky with being on the island because we have the sea breeze. Helps keep us cooler than the city. I have heard from others, however, that the dry heat is a lot easier to handle. the temperature it is is the temperature you feel, whereas here, it could be 100f but feel more like 130f because of the humidity factor. When the humidity is high you can't sweat so your body can't cool itself naturally. thank heavens for air-conditioning. Couldn't cope without it (or the pool for that matter )

Dry heat is pretty ok, until it gets to like today, 110. Mind you if you are in the shade it is a good 20° cooler. I hate the humidity, lived in Philly for 10 years and the humidity sucked, along with the mossies. You do get used to the heat though, it was 108 yesterday and I was out doing yard work, planting cactus, 10 mins of planting, 1/2 hour in the pool that is always my reward if I am working outside. Just gotta drink lots, I have had heat exhaustion a couple of times playing golf, mind you it was 123°, but a cold wet towel usually fixes me right up.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Ben

Where do you live? I really miss the ocean, if AZ had an ocean it would be heaven on earth.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 8:40 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I live on Long Island so we have water north and south of us. The south shore is really good for surfing and the north shore is really good for small children paddling and boats.

Got heat exhaustion a couple of times too and felt pretty rough. You do get used to the heat, though and the humidity as long as you can get away from it for a while.

I would love to come to Arizona one day. Just to see what it is like if nothing else. Only ever been as far as Michigan, going west. Have been up and down the east coast, though.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ben
I live on Long Island so we have water north and south of us. The south shore is really good for surfing and the north shore is really good for small children paddling and boats.

Got heat exhaustion a couple of times too and felt pretty rough. You do get used to the heat, though and the humidity as long as you can get away from it for a while.

I would love to come to Arizona one day. Just to see what it is like if nothing else. Only ever been as far as Michigan, going west. Have been up and down the east coast, though.
Think of Jones Beach, but no ocean. That's Arizona (at least until the big one hits California).
Old Jun 4th 2004, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Ben

It is probably nothing like what you imagine it to be. People think of desert, but it is really quite green here, and in the Spring the desert is full of wild flowers. Lotsa people are moving here, the eco system is slowly changing. People putting pools in, man made lakes, planting grass etc, still lots of virgin desert left though and some of the views are amazing. Long Island sounds nice, I would love to live by the ocean, maybe one day when I retire.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We drove up to Pinnacle peak on tuesday to look at my wifes bosses new house thats under construction. Its just past the 4 seasons hotel. That area is growing very quickly, but is still full of lush desert scenery. Also has the best view of the entire valley in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails See you at the pool!-pinpeak.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2004, 10:14 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

(rose) bush......bikinni.....pool.

reminds me of my 6 month stint at my apartment pool too!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Yosser
(rose) bush......bikinni.....pool.

reminds me of my 6 month stint at my apartment pool too!
Mine is not an apt though, it is a lovely little place on a golf course. Luckily the pool is below the level of the golf course and unless the hackers come right up to the fence they cannot see me in there. Good thing too, they probably would not come back here to play golf, the sight would probably scare them to death!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.