Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

See you in June!

See you in June!

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by st326
Gardies is indeed good, as is the (in)famous Van of Death.

For the benefit of any non-Cambridge people here, there are two vans in the market square that sell food each night. The Van of Life (which actually says that on the sign), which sells burgers mostly. Of course, the other van is always called the Van of Death. It sells kebabs that are also very good -- generally a bit cheaper than Gardies, and you tend to get a bit more meat.
Best Italian I have ever been to was Don Pasquale on the market square - wonderful, is it still there ? and there was another restaurant in the Lion Yard The Eros, Cambridge was always good for food too many to mention.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:12 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Philgr
Congratulations on your move. We used Graebels to move from London to Mountain View so you might want to try them (at least they know the way ) I'd guess they are pretty expensive but the company was paying so I don't know for sure.

If you like Mexican food there are loads of places around here but one of the best I've found so far is Maria Elena's at 1450 Gold St in Alviso (a few miles east on 237). It's pretty run down but the food is good.

Hope all goes well.
Thanks for the tips. I must check out that restaurant. To be honest, I find even the worst tex mex in CA *so* much better than anything here that it is difficult to be disappointed. Even the NASA cafeteria manages edible burritos, and that's saying something! The locals moan about them, however, so I'm given to wonder what I must be missing...
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's the one. I'm not sure about the Whim, though, I don't remember it. Mind you, the shops in that street change hands extremely often due to Trinity's incredibly extortionate rents coupled with the city council also wanting its own pound of flesh. A friend used to own a games and puzzles shop near there that was essentially put out of business due to completely insane rent hikes mandated by the college. Not nice.
Yes the colleges closed down loads of nightclubs back in the 80's too.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:16 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Gardies is indeed good, as is the (in)famous Van of Death.

For the benefit of any non-Cambridge people here, there are two vans in the market square that sell food each night. The Van of Life (which actually says that on the sign), which sells burgers mostly. Of course, the other van is always called the Van of Death. It sells kebabs that are also very good -- generally a bit cheaper than Gardies, and you tend to get a bit more meat.
There is always a guy that sits across from M&S in a red cart selling hot dogs/sausages and stuff, they're really good too!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:17 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lolly
Best Italian I have ever been to was Don Pasquale on the market square - wonderful, is it still there ? and there was another restaurant in the Lion Yard The Eros, Cambridge was always good for food too many to mention.
Is that the one on the corner opposite Starbucks? If so, yes it is. I've actually never eaten there because it looked touristy and expensive, but I'll probably give it a try now.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:19 pm
Utter Newbie

Originally Posted by blaze
There is always a guy that sits across from M&S in a red cart selling hot dogs/sausages and stuff, they're really good too!
Oh, there is also a van selling ostrich burgers some days in the market itself (during the day, not at night). They are actually rather good, in a somewhat non-vegetarian-to-say-the-least kind of way. :scared:
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is that the one on the corner opposite Starbucks? If so, yes it is. I've actually never eaten there because it looked touristy and expensive, but I'll probably give it a try now.
There wasnt a Starbucks there last time I was there !!! but yes it is on the corner there used to be a cinema next door - many years ago !! and also a good pub.The restaurant was named after the guy who owned it but he would be getting on now - if he is still around !!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, there is also a van selling ostrich burgers some days in the market itself (during the day, not at night). They are actually rather good, in a somewhat non-vegetarian-to-say-the-least kind of way. :scared:
Back in the late 70's there was always this old guy called Trevor who would sit begging in the market square he was such a character. We found out after he died that he had been a well known lawyer then his wife died and he just lost the plot. Cambridge was always full of life and such a fun place to grow up.