Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

See you in June!

See you in June!

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:53 pm
  #1  
Utter Newbie
Thread Starter
 
st326's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 88
st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of
Default See you in June!

Well, it is all happening.

I signed my contract and sent it back yesterday, so as of roughly 1st June I am going to be starting work at NASA Ames. And, amazingly, they are intending to pay me about 40% more than I was expecting. My H1-B documentation is all complete and the application itself is being processed -- I'm told it should be through fine (the research institute I'm working through has some kind of special status for visa applications apparently).

About the only thing I need to do now is organise three quotes from removals companies. I have one already -- can anyone recommend good companies? I'd rather that all three quotes came from good places rather than a lowballer who will dump my stuff in the middle of the atlantic or something!

That, and actually finish my PhD, but that's a simple matter of working flat out for the next few months... oh well, can't have everything I suppose.

It seems a little odd in some ways. I spent summer '04 there, so it feels like home. I visited briefly last December, and in some ways it didn't feel like I'd really left. Going back there indefinitely feels a bit like going home in some ways, even though it's really *not*. Sorry, I'm rambling a bit here and probably not making much sense.

On the subject of Indian food, I have tried a couple of places in CA. There is an Indian buffet on Castro St. in Mountain view that (to my overindulged British curry tastes) is really, really awful. I was taken somewhere in Berkeley a couple of years ago, however, which *was* good. I can't remember what the place was called, but it was basically a takeaway with a few places to sit and eat. Not really English restaurant curry, more a Kerala style, but very tasty and pretty cheap as I remember. Very good for veggie stuff (in fact, it may have been 100% veggie, I don't remember). I suppose it's just as well that I like tex/mex, really -- I have found that Britishised tex mex is about as bad as Americanised Indian food.

Mountain View is excellent for Chinese and Japanese, however. There's a superb dim sum place just behind Castro where I managed to eat until pretty much unable to walk once (whoops!). Definitely as good as anything I've had in Chinatown in London (or indeed in Hong Kong). And I remember an excellent sushi place on Shoreline east of the railway line, near the supermarket.

The big down side of all this, of course, is that I'm going on my own. My (same sex, unfortunately) partner is in the middle of a longer term PhD here in the UK, and when that is finished (in 2 or 3 years) will probably want to either stay where she is (basically one of the best places in the world for her subject, kind of the NASA of botany, really) or will end up somewhere random and tropical for a few years. Hello, long distance relationship d00m. Has anyone here gone through that kind of separation? How has it gone? How did you cope? DID you cope???
st326 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:28 pm
  #2  
A lion in your lap
 
elfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Sparta NJ
Posts: 7,605
elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by st326
. My (same sex, unfortunately) partner ....
unfortunate for whom?
elfman is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:31 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 418
lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by st326
Well, it is all happening.

I signed my contract and sent it back yesterday, so as of roughly 1st June I am going to be starting work at NASA Ames. And, amazingly, they are intending to pay me about 40% more than I was expecting. My H1-B documentation is all complete and the application itself is being processed -- I'm told it should be through fine (the research institute I'm working through has some kind of special status for visa applications apparently).

About the only thing I need to do now is organise three quotes from removals companies. I have one already -- can anyone recommend good companies? I'd rather that all three quotes came from good places rather than a lowballer who will dump my stuff in the middle of the atlantic or something!

That, and actually finish my PhD, but that's a simple matter of working flat out for the next few months... oh well, can't have everything I suppose.

It seems a little odd in some ways. I spent summer '04 there, so it feels like home. I visited briefly last December, and in some ways it didn't feel like I'd really left. Going back there indefinitely feels a bit like going home in some ways, even though it's really *not*. Sorry, I'm rambling a bit here and probably not making much sense.

On the subject of Indian food, I have tried a couple of places in CA. There is an Indian buffet on Castro St. in Mountain view that (to my overindulged British curry tastes) is really, really awful. I was taken somewhere in Berkeley a couple of years ago, however, which *was* good. I can't remember what the place was called, but it was basically a takeaway with a few places to sit and eat. Not really English restaurant curry, more a Kerala style, but very tasty and pretty cheap as I remember. Very good for veggie stuff (in fact, it may have been 100% veggie, I don't remember). I suppose it's just as well that I like tex/mex, really -- I have found that Britishised tex mex is about as bad as Americanised Indian food.

Mountain View is excellent for Chinese and Japanese, however. There's a superb dim sum place just behind Castro where I managed to eat until pretty much unable to walk once (whoops!). Definitely as good as anything I've had in Chinatown in London (or indeed in Hong Kong). And I remember an excellent sushi place on Shoreline east of the railway line, near the supermarket.

The big down side of all this, of course, is that I'm going on my own. My (same sex, unfortunately) partner is in the middle of a longer term PhD here in the UK, and when that is finished (in 2 or 3 years) will probably want to either stay where she is (basically one of the best places in the world for her subject, kind of the NASA of botany, really) or will end up somewhere random and tropical for a few years. Hello, long distance relationship d00m. Has anyone here gone through that kind of separation? How has it gone? How did you cope? DID you cope???
Good luck - you are in Cambridge lucky you, always loved to go to Aunties Tea shop off Kings Parade.
lolly is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:51 pm
  #4  
Utter Newbie
Thread Starter
 
st326's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 88
st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by elfman
unfortunate for whom?
Unfortunate from the point of view of US immigration law. She'd need to find someone prepared to hire her in order to get an H1-B, because there is no equivalent for us of the getting married and getting her a visa on that basis. In other respects, there's nothing terribly unfortunate about it!
st326 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:52 pm
  #5  
Utter Newbie
Thread Starter
 
st326's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 88
st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by lolly
Good luck - you are in Cambridge lucky you, always loved to go to Aunties Tea shop off Kings Parade.
Cambridge is nice. I miss it, actually -- I'm currently writing up at home in London, so I rarely get there these days.
st326 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:55 pm
  #6  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by st326
Cambridge is nice. I miss it, actually -- I'm currently writing up at home in London, so I rarely get there these days.
Make sure to visit the gardenia one last time before you leave
Good luck with the phd and the move
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:10 pm
  #7  
The American Job
 
britontour's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 579
britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by st326
Unfortunate from the point of view of US immigration law. She'd need to find someone prepared to hire her in order to get an H1-B, because there is no equivalent for us of the getting married and getting her a visa on that basis. In other respects, there's nothing terribly unfortunate about it!
Can't you get married now or is that not worth the paper its written on here or for a visa?
britontour is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:17 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 418
lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Make sure to visit the gardenia one last time before you leave
Good luck with the phd and the move
Was that in Rose Crescent off the market square ????there was also a restaurant called The Whim - good food
lolly is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:34 pm
  #9  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by lolly
Was that in Rose Crescent off the market square ????there was also a restaurant called The Whim - good food
Not sure the name of the street, but it sounds like you have the right place.
Best kebab I've ever had - fact. The yoghurt and cucumber sauce beats the pants of the usual radioactive molten lava stuff i get.
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:45 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Philgr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 872
Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Congratulations on your move. We used Graebels to move from London to Mountain View so you might want to try them (at least they know the way ) I'd guess they are pretty expensive but the company was paying so I don't know for sure.

If you like Mexican food there are loads of places around here but one of the best I've found so far is Maria Elena's at 1450 Gold St in Alviso (a few miles east on 237). It's pretty run down but the food is good.

Hope all goes well.
Philgr is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:55 pm
  #11  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,725
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by st326
... Hello, long distance relationship d00m. Has anyone here gone through that kind of separation? How has it gone? How did you cope? DID you cope???
Good chunk of us are here through marriage and have gone through it...so wouldn't worry about it.
Bob is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:56 pm
  #12  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,725
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by britontour
Can't you get married now or is that not worth the paper its written on here or for a visa?
USCIS won't recognise it, so doesn't make a difference for immigration.
Bob is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:00 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
ladylisa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West >> UK
Posts: 1,239
ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See you in June!

Congratulations on the move. As for movers we used Sterling International removals and they were brilliant. I have nothing bad to say about them. My OH company paid however I think they were quite expensive. Give them a call.
ladylisa is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:07 pm
  #14  
Utter Newbie
Thread Starter
 
st326's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 88
st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Make sure to visit the gardenia one last time before you leave
Good luck with the phd and the move
Gardies is indeed good, as is the (in)famous Van of Death.

For the benefit of any non-Cambridge people here, there are two vans in the market square that sell food each night. The Van of Life (which actually says that on the sign), which sells burgers mostly. Of course, the other van is always called the Van of Death. It sells kebabs that are also very good -- generally a bit cheaper than Gardies, and you tend to get a bit more meat.
st326 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:10 pm
  #15  
Utter Newbie
Thread Starter
 
st326's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 88
st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of
Default Re: See you in June!

Originally Posted by lolly
Was that in Rose Crescent off the market square ????there was also a restaurant called The Whim - good food
Yes, that's the one. I'm not sure about the Whim, though, I don't remember it. Mind you, the shops in that street change hands extremely often due to Trinity's incredibly extortionate rents coupled with the city council also wanting its own pound of flesh. A friend used to own a games and puzzles shop near there that was essentially put out of business due to completely insane rent hikes mandated by the college. Not nice.
st326 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.