Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Security background check for work.

Security background check for work.

Old Feb 16th 2018, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Security background check for work.

Hello,

I've been out of the states for 17 years and will be returning next month. Some of the jobs I’ve been looking into (aerospace manufacturing) often require US citizenship which is fine but also a background check. As I have been away for so long would providing an ACRO as an example be of any use? If not would I be able to pass a US background check (I’m squeaky clean in US and UK).

Thank You
Old Feb 16th 2018, 3:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security background check for work.

Doubt that it would be any assistance as the employer will do their own security check on you.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll likely get sent some third party to handle the security checks.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As above, it'll be a third party.

My employer used a company that handled the background check and also my drug test.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
As above, it'll be a third party.

My employer used a company that handled the background check and also my drug test.
I suppose a 3rd party check might ask for more information about my time in the UK and hopefully that would be enough. Thanks
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends on how in depth the background check is.

Some employers just do a simple name based FBI record search and nothing else.

Others do more extensive searches and verifications of where you lived and worked.

When I worked at airports in the US they required 10 years of employmemt, residents, where you travelled etc.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was fairly comprehensive and I work in the software industry, albeit for banks and insurance companies etc.

If I remember rightly, mine did a nationwide US check (showed results for all 50 states), sex offenders register, verification of my qualifications from the UK, including Cisco, AWS and ITIL certifications and various other things. It took about a week to complete due to them verifying employment and the above in the UK.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BenK91
Mine was fairly comprehensive and I work in the software industry, albeit for banks and insurance companies etc.

If I remember rightly, mine did a nationwide US check (showed results for all 50 states), sex offenders register, verification of my qualifications from the UK, including Cisco, AWS and ITIL certifications and various other things. It took about a week to complete due to them verifying employment and the above in the UK.
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will find out soon enough.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will find out soon enough.
Just be prepared to have documents ready when it comes to the UK side of things. I had to get my family back home to dig out my old GCSE certificates and things like that. In the 7 years I worked in IT (or any job) in the UK, I've never been asked to provide any certificates from high school or college so it was a bit of a surprise needing them out here.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:19 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The essence of a proper security check is that they ask you nothing, just wanting a copy of your CV. The serious guys will comb your history themselves and follow leads they find. In the uk this usefully used to be known as nv and pv, negative vetting just looks for bad stuff in standard places and if it finds nothing untoward you get the job. Positive vetting on the other hand requires they can prove stuff like your financial criminal paternal and other info, and if theres a gap, no job. Everythings shades of grey though, they definitely want to know how bribeable you are, or your potential to be blackmailed, but having a login to a kinky sex websites probably ok, as they know your world better for it, and the people who know wont tell your boss, he/she just gets a yes/no.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:24 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I went through a higher level security clearance some years ago.
A clearance agency handled it, tracked down various ex service commanding officers who thankfully remembered me.
There was no issue appart from having to hand over my UK passport for shredding.
They did not want me having a US and UK passport.
Thankfully now no longer in that role so have replaced my UK passport.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what level of clearance you require.

Third parties will often do it.

Follow the instructions carefully - ie a big one is no time gaps in employment or residential history (not that they care that you have been unemployed or that you moved around, they just want all the time periods accounted for).
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this touch federal government work? If so, then a Security check is way more than a check. You have to be a citizen, and then get a Secret of Top Secret clearance, which is very involved and usually takes a year. If its a simple check then they check your criminal record, credit/finances, etc, and you are good to go.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
Does this touch federal government work? If so, then a Security check is way more than a check. You have to be a citizen, and then get a Secret of Top Secret clearance, which is very involved and usually takes a year. If its a simple check then they check your criminal record, credit/finances, etc, and you are good to go.
Depends on clearance needed. A friend of mine just started at NASA and while citizenship was required the clearance didn't delay anything.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:34 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I held a TS clearance in the UK, and it seems like Developed Vetting is a little intrusive than TS/SCI here.