Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Securing a job in the U.S.

Securing a job in the U.S.

Old Jul 14th 2004, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: London...But originally born, bred and raised in NY!!
NYState of Mind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Securing a job in the U.S.

My husband and I have decided to move back to my homeland and are pretty much half-way through the visa process.

I know getting a job "without a green card" (or a good paying job that's legal) I should say is impossible.

My husband has been down the road before with headhunters in NY. He's in the IT industry w/over 14 years experience. Has his masters and speaks five languages. Has travelled the world extensively and is a very well rounded person. The headhunters go insane over him (they see nothing but $$$$ signs with him) BUT of course the first question is, Do you have your "green card?" A very fair question, one he does not have a problem with and completely understands the circumstances surrounding it. It's simple no green card, no work. You play by the rules.

The current company he works is a large international entertainment company with his boss being based in my beloved -- NYC. Problem is there are no opportunities on the horizon. So we're basically going throw "all our cards on the table" and see what happens when the time comes to tell his boss it's time we move back to NY. Either they will hang on to him 'cause they don't want to lose him or we cut our losses and fly out to NY.

We have enough money saved up that we can live comfortably for six months while he's looking (and of course living at my parent's house for the time being in the downstairs apartment).

What would you do? I''m just looking to read the experiences of others and the hurdles you had to overcome.

(We've been in London for almost three years and if we don't leave within the year I'm going to lose my mind. I miss my family, my friends, my country, the great weather, etc. London is just not for me and thank god my other half agrees.)

Thanks and looking forward to read some of your stories.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana headed for Nottinghamshire in May, 2012
Kady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Securing a job in the U.S.

Hi: I don't know how it is in New York but my husband came over from England. We went through the immigration process and he received an authorization to start work in March. Found a job in April and didn't receive his green card until the end of September. So technically, he was allowed to work before green card arrived. Hope this helps out. Of course, I realize your situtation is the other way around but since you both are American (I am assuming), I wouldn't think you would have a problem.

Cheers, Kady

Originally posted by NYState of Mind
My husband and I have decided to move back to my homeland and are pretty much half-way through the visa process.

I know getting a job "without a green card" (or a good paying job that's legal) I should say is impossible.

My husband has been down the road before with headhunters in NY. He's in the IT industry w/over 14 years experience. Has his masters and speaks five languages. Has travelled the world extensively and is a very well rounded person. The headhunters go insane over him (they see nothing but $$$$ signs with him) BUT of course the first question is, Do you have your "green card?" A very fair question, one he does not have a problem with and completely understands the circumstances surrounding it. It's simple no green card, no work. You play by the rules.

The current company he works is a large international entertainment company with his boss being based in my beloved -- NYC. Problem is there are no opportunities on the horizon. So we're basically going throw "all our cards on the table" and see what happens when the time comes to tell his boss it's time we move back to NY. Either they will hang on to him 'cause they don't want to lose him or we cut our losses and fly out to NY.

We have enough money saved up that we can live comfortably for six months while he's looking (and of course living at my parent's house for the time being in the downstairs apartment).

What would you do? I''m just looking to read the experiences of others and the hurdles you had to overcome.

(We've been in London for almost three years and if we don't leave within the year I'm going to lose my mind. I miss my family, my friends, my country, the great weather, etc. London is just not for me and thank god my other half agrees.)

Thanks and looking forward to read some of your stories.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Kady
Hi: I don't know how it is in New York but my husband came over from England. We went through the immigration process and he received an authorization to start work in March. Found a job in April and didn't receive his green card until the end of September. So technically, he was allowed to work before green card arrived. Hope this helps out. Of course, I realize your situtation is the other way around but since you both are American (I am assuming), I wouldn't think you would have a problem.

Cheers, Kady

Husband is not American. So you get the authorization to work once the visa goes through? So let me get this straight, technically you don't have to phsically have the card in hand to work just the correct immigration processes and papers in place so that s/he has the authorization to work?

Thanks Kady.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

In your profile you wrote that you were born and raised in NY. If you hold an American passport then your husband would be eligible for a spousal visa, an I-130, to live and work in the States. He wouldn't need to get an employment visa and could work for anyone he chooses.

Please read and search through the US Marriage Based Visas forum on British Expats as well as looking at the US Embassy in the UK's website for information about applying through London, direct consular filing (aka DCF) though this is not officially recognized at the Embassy (so don't search under that phrase).

If you're American and you fulfill the eligibilty requirements for filing in London by DCF, it should be a fast process (subject to no complications in your application).
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Also have a look at www.visajourney.com
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana headed for Nottinghamshire in May, 2012
Kady is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi: Read my timeline and that will probably help you out. Your husband will have to have a social security number before he can start work but after he receives one, he's clear to go. Also, what the other member said I believe to be correct. That will probably be easier that way to achieve your goal. Good luck.

Kady

Husband is not American. So you get the authorization to work once the visa goes through? So let me get this straight, technically you don't have to phsically have the card in hand to work just the correct immigration processes and papers in place so that s/he has the authorization to work?

Thanks Kady.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 4:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kady.
NYS,
I didn't read all of your past posts, but isn't your husband applying for an Immigrant Visa via London? Not sure why your case has taken so long, but here's the IV drill:

Husband gets visa, which will be attached to the Envelope with all his case papers in it.

Arrive at US POE (whichever airport you choose). Husband checked in briefly at first Immigration desk, sent to Secondary Processing.

Relieved of Envelope, fingerprint and autograph collected. US mailing address confirmed.

Stamp I-551 placed in passport. This is the stamp equivilant of a Green Card. Husband is in Green Card/Perm Residnet status immediately. You can confidently answer that he has a Green Card, is fully authorized to work and travel.

Card arrives in about 3 weeks. Card may be more recognized than the stamp, but is no more 'valid' than the stamp alone.

NO AOS, no waiting for work authorization.

Problem solved?
Old Jul 14th 2004, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by meauxna
NYS,
I didn't read all of your past posts, but isn't your husband applying for an Immigrant Visa via London? Not sure why your case has taken so long, but here's the IV drill:

Husband gets visa, which will be attached to the Envelope with all his case papers in it.

Arrive at US POE (whichever airport you choose). Husband checked in briefly at first Immigration desk, sent to Secondary Processing.

Relieved of Envelope, fingerprint and autograph collected. US mailing address confirmed.

Stamp I-551 placed in passport. This is the stamp equivilant of a Green Card. Husband is in Green Card/Perm Residnet status immediately. You can confidently answer that he has a Green Card, is fully authorized to work and travel.

Card arrives in about 3 weeks. Card may be more recognized than the stamp, but is no more 'valid' than the stamp alone.

NO AOS, no waiting for work authorization.

Problem solved?
Thanks, that does solves it. Awesome. We decided to put it on hold due to pregnancy reasons and have now decided to continue on with it. We're halfway through the process (our DCF that is) all we need to do is mail in our I-864 forms then await our interview.

Thanks to all.. That was painless. Definitely looking forward to going back home to my roots.

Last edited by NYState of Mind; Jul 14th 2004 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that does solves it. Awesome. We decided to put it on hold due to pregnancy reasons and have now decided to continue on with it. We're halfway through the process (our DCF that is) all we need to do is mail in our I-864 forms then await our interview.

Thanks to all.. That was painless. Definitely looking forward to going back home to my roots.
excellent
Another step: if Husband doesn't have a SS# from previous incarnations, wait aprox 10 working days from entry and go in person to SS office to apply (form available online). There is a 'new' program called Enummeration on Entry which *may* net him a number ahead of time (there's a related question on DS-230 II) but I've yet to hear of anyone who got the number automagically. This program only applies to IV entries like his.

SS# is required, of course, but he may start working if he is 1) entitled to the SS# (he is) and 2) can show employer that he has applied for the card (which will hopefully take 4 weeks to arrive).

So, back to the headhunters etc (rereading your post): if he wants to apply for jobs now, he can def. say he is/will be a Perm Resident/Green Card when he arrives in the US. I'm sure it is easier to hunt for work when you're still working.

We, too, did DCF and everything has been so easy. You can add DH to your bank accounts, open new accounts, get a DL, credit cards... it really makes the process painless.
Congrats on the new AmeriBrit/BritAmer or whatever they're called these days!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:52 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

We're halfway through the process (our DCF that is) all we need to do is mail in our I-864 forms then await our interview.
You don't mail the I-864 froms. You take those with you on the day of the interview at the London Embassy.

We have just gone through the same process. Interview on 6th May. Travelled to the US on 28th May. SS number arrived in the mail mid-June. Green Card arrived in the mail on 5th July.

Alex.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Congrats on the new AmeriBrit/BritAmer or whatever they're called these days!

Actually American/Belgium Thanks everyone for the info.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:36 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

There is a 'new' program called Enummeration on Entry which *may* net him a number ahead of time (there's a related question on DS-230 II) but I've yet to hear of anyone who got the number automagically.
I got mine without having to do anything. It just turned up in the mail about two weeks after I entered the US.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:28 pm
Occl

> NYS,
    > I didn't read all
of your past posts, but isn't your husband applying for an Immigrant
Visa via London? Not sure why your case has taken so long, but here's
the IV drill:
    >
    > Husband gets visa, which will be attached to the
Envelope with all his case papers in it.
    >
    > Arrive at US POE
(whichever airport you choose). Husband checked in briefly at first
Immigration desk, sent to Secondary Processing.
    >
    > Relieved of
Envelope, fingerprint and autograph collected. US mailing address
confirmed.
    >
    > Stamp I-551 placed in passport. This is the stamp
equivilant of a Green Card. Husband is in Green Card/Perm Residnet
status immediately. You can confidently answer that he has a Green Card,
is fully authorized to work and travel.
    >
    > Card arrives in about 3
weeks. Card may be more recognized than the stamp, but is no more
'valid' than the stamp alone.
    >
    > NO AOS, no waiting for work
authorization.
    >
    > Problem solved?

Question: is a K1'er in
"Green Card/Perm Resident status" once he/she receives his/her EAD? I.e.
can answer tha he/she has a green card ans is fully authorized to work.

Thanks,
Ola

--
Please see signature on britishexpats.com/forum

Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:19 pm

Originally posted by occl
Question: is a K1'er in "Green Card/Perm Resident status" once he/she receives his/her EAD? I.e. can answer tha he/she has a green card ans is fully authorized to work.

Thanks,
Ola
hi:
no and no.

By going thru the Immigrant Visa process, the alien is more thoroughly vetted than the K Visa holders. It's a different animal altogether.
However, it is available to you, in the least painful way possible.
You may be interested in reading up on DCF & Sweden. A brief outline is here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...pg=compare#dcf
This process involves first being married and the USC spouse being present in Sweden to file the I-130. If you're really into getting married to your g/f, I don't know why you haven't explored this one yet. It would allow you to finish school and immigrate directly afterward. You would be fully work authorized and resident then.
If you pursue a K1, you must complete the AOS process once in the US.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:20 pm

Originally posted by g1ant
I got mine without having to do anything. It just turned up in the mail about two weeks after I entered the US.
Super! Glad to hear from someone who actually got their SS# this way. I'll be sure to let DCFers know.
Have you posted your experience at kamya.com? I'm sure others would be happy to read of your experiences!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.