British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   secured credit card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/secured-credit-card-596989/)

whatadiva Mar 12th 2009 12:25 am

secured credit card

I now have my secured credit card from Citibank.

In a couple of months of usage of the card can I then check with Experian on how my credit score is WITHOUT supplying my SSN? No SSN is not needed when applying for a citibank secured card just a downpayment of min $200 which will be your credit limit.

Poppy girl Mar 12th 2009 12:29 am

Re: secured credit card

Originally Posted by whatadiva (Post 7369944)

In a couple of months of usage of the card can I then check with Experian on how my credit score is WITHOUT supplying my SSN? No SSN is not needed when applying for a citibank secured card just a downpayment of min $200 which will be your credit limit.

I get monthly reports from Experian and I know when I opened the account that you have to have a SSN or supply it I should say.

Before I had the account I did try in the summer to get a credit score and it would not allow me to do so without the SSN.

dbj1000 Mar 12th 2009 1:31 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that you couldn't actually start building a credit history (and hence a credit score) until you had an SSN.

My wife had an ITIN for years because her H4 wasn't eligible for an SSN, and as far as I know she didn't start building a score, despite having her own cards and being on our mortgage.

Poppy girl Mar 12th 2009 2:16 am

http://www.mytruston.com/blog/credit...out_a_ssn.html

http://www.docdroppers.org/wiki/inde...without_an_SSN

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...F815FF8D627%7D

3 interesting links.

whatadiva Mar 12th 2009 2:33 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7370042)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that you couldn't actually start building a credit history (and hence a credit score) until you had an SSN.

My wife had an ITIN for years because her H4 wasn't eligible for an SSN, and as far as I know she didn't start building a score, despite having her own cards and being on our mortgage.

but i thought even with BoA they say you can start establishing credit history by applying for a SECURED CREDIT CARD:confused:

whatadiva Mar 12th 2009 2:40 am

thanks for the links poppy, I have read the 2nd link before but not the other 2

whatadiva Mar 12th 2009 3:39 am

LOL I just saw your location Altamont, I live on Altamont Dr, SD :)

Poppy girl Mar 12th 2009 3:42 am

Originally Posted by whatadiva (Post 7370246)
LOL I just saw your location Altamont, I live on Altamont Dr, SD :)

LOL Altamont Northern California :D

chartreuse Mar 16th 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7370042)

Kind of. You won't be able to get a FICO score until you've got a SSN and 6 months of history, but if you can establish trade lines with an ITIN, then port them to your report when you get your SSN, the age of the account should come with. That's useful, because length of history is a factor in calculating FICO scores. So look at it as prep work to improve your score when you eventually get one.

In this case, the OP should check whether their secured card from Citi reports at all. Not all do and those that do often report differently. As has been posted before, what one wants is a secured card that reports as unsecured. BoA is the gold standard (as it goes unsecured in just under a year) and Orchard Bank the best of the easily obtainable ones.

dbj1000 Mar 16th 2009 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7384604)
Kind of. You won't be able to get a FICO score until you've got a SSN and 6 months of history, but if you can establish trade lines with an ITIN, then port them to your report when you get your SSN, the age of the account should come with. That's useful, because length of history is a factor in calculating FICO scores. So look at it as prep work to improve your score when you eventually get one.

In this case, the OP should check whether their secured card from Citi reports at all. Not all do and those that do often report differently. As has been posted before, what one wants is a secured card that reports as unsecured. BoA is the gold standard (as it goes unsecured in just under a year) and Orchard Bank the best of the easily obtainable ones.

This is really useful information.

Boy, I wish I'd had some of this knowledge 6 years ago when I was starting out in the US!

Deedee13 Mar 16th 2009 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by whatadiva (Post 7369944)

how can u get a credit score with no SSN? u got me on this one..

Poppy girl Mar 16th 2009 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 7385622)

Have a read of the links I posted ;)

dbj1000 Mar 17th 2009 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 7385622)

Have you read any of this thread?

MyGreenCard Mar 17th 2009 1:34 am

could someone rent a car with a citibank secured credit card?
thankyou.

Poppy girl Mar 17th 2009 1:47 am

Originally Posted by MyGreenCard (Post 7386911)
could someone rent a car with a citibank secured credit card?
thankyou.

Call them and ask!