Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

secure credit cards Offered in US ??

secure credit cards Offered in US ??

Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default secure credit cards Offered in US ??

My Sister is moving to US soon and she is wondering if the US ( MI) offers Secure credit cards like they do in Canada? she just wants to establish credit in the US as we all know how important that is.

tHANKS EVERYONE!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: secure credit cards Offered in US ??

Originally Posted by celine_uk
My Sister is moving to US soon and she is wondering if the US ( MI) offers Secure credit cards like they do in Canada? she just wants to establish credit in the US as we all know how important that is.

tHANKS EVERYONE!
Search for past threads about establishing credit in the US and the pros and cons about getting a secured credit card.

I considered it myself but decided against it since there was no guarantee that having one would build up a credit score.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Celsius
Search for past threads about establishing credit in the US and the pros and cons about getting a secured credit card.

I considered it myself but decided against it since there was no guarantee that having one would build up a credit score.
Having one definitely builds a credit score - I got a BOA one and after having one for just over 6 months had a score of about 700. It reports exactly like any other credit card, except they normally put a note on it saying it is secured - the note is exactly that though and has no bearing on your score, although a potential lender may look at this later on and consider it not so good.

I applyed for an unsecured credit card a few months after getting the score and got one with a $3500 credit line.

I can't recommend doing this enough, as I wasted most of my first year here before getting one thus delaying having a score - the target as far as I can see is to get a 3 year history before things start looking pretty good for you, so the earlier you do this the better.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the adverts for them but couldn't see the point, my Cheque guarantee card had a visa logo and so why put money into a secure card when I could leave it in my savings account
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:26 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
I had the adverts for them but couldn't see the point, my Cheque guarantee card had a visa logo and so why put money into a secure card when I could leave it in my savings account
becase it doesn't build credit history and this was the question asked by the OP?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
becase it doesn't build credit history and this was the question asked by the OP?

Just because Your debit/cheque card/bankcard has a visa sign on it doesn't mean your borrowing money from the bank, they have simpler Visa/MasterCard debit cards in the UK and this has nothing to do with building credit, what my sister is looking for is a secure credit card that she say for example, puts Down $1000 the bank holds it for a year and if she has paid her card off every month or so they would refund the money back to her, i did exactly that when i moved to Canada and i have a great credit rating now!

btw thanks for everyones reply.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:50 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
Just because Your debit/cheque card/bankcard has a visa sign on it doesn't mean your borrowing money from the bank, they have simpler Visa/MasterCard debit cards in the UK and this has nothing to do with building credit, what my sister is looking for is a secure credit card that she say for example, puts Down $1000 the bank holds it for a year and if she has paid her card off every month or so they would refund the money back to her, i did exactly that when i moved to Canada and i have a great credit rating now!

btw thanks for everyones reply.
I was replying to the earlier poster who didn't seem to get that you wanted to build credit

get bank of america secured card as another poster suggested
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:02 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
Having one definitely builds a credit score - I got a BOA one and after having one for just over 6 months had a score of about 700. It reports exactly like any other credit card, except they normally put a note on it saying it is secured - the note is exactly that though and has no bearing on your score, although a potential lender may look at this later on and consider it not so good.

I applyed for an unsecured credit card a few months after getting the score and got one with a $3500 credit line.

I can't recommend doing this enough, as I wasted most of my first year here before getting one thus delaying having a score - the target as far as I can see is to get a 3 year history before things start looking pretty good for you, so the earlier you do this the better.
This is what I did also.I LOVE Bank of America. I got a secured card (a $500 one, but they had an offer on at the time where I only had to put down a $99 deposit ) and after a year of using it for groceries, gas, etc, it was upgraded to unsecured and my limit was raised to $7000.

I've learned a harsh lesson about credit though, and have no intention of getting much, if any at all, when I move back to the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:36 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Would concure with those recommending BOA secured card (but that is about all BOA is good for...)

My $500 card became unsecured after 6 months without my having to ask and credit limit increased to $3500. Within the next 6 months I was approved for two other (non BOA) credit cards (that I applied for mainly because of the offers that were attached).

Last edited by tonrob; Nov 9th 2007 at 11:15 am.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:09 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Would concure with those recommending BOA secured card (but that is about all BOA is good for...)
Awww, I'd have to disagree with that. I've been with them for almost 5 years, and have been impressed by their service the whole time. I've had a few bad experiences when I went through an Ebay phase, and the bank took care of it immediately and without question. Debit purchases also seem to go through much faster with them than they do with another account I have with a different bank.

Sorry you've not been happy with them, though.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Werrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Awww, I'd have to disagree with that. I've been with them for almost 5 years, and have been impressed by their service the whole time. I've had a few bad experiences when I went through an Ebay phase, and the bank took care of it immediately and without question. Debit purchases also seem to go through much faster with them than they do with another account I have with a different bank.

I got a little annoyed when there was an online system I wanted to use which HAD to have money deposited through a Bank of America. I quickly discovered that there are apparently NO Bank of America branches in the state of Ohio. I looked up their list of 'branches', and took long drives to visit two of them, only to find they weren't branches, just ATMs at Turnpike service plazas :curse: I'd have to consider them 'Bank of Parts of America'.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You've been lucky

BoA has a great reputation for being utterly shit for anything that requires service.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:56 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest gripe is with their internet banking. I kept getting locked out all the time, and then started getting automatic e-mail responses (up to two or three each day) letting me know that my password reset request had been processed, delivering me a temporary passcode thingy to unlock my account. All of this happening when I hadn't even tried to access their service! After repeated phone calls I got the lame excuse that my username was too common and that other people must be typing it by mistake! The whole system is shoddy in the extreme.

And don't get me started on their many-layered automated menu on their phone system where you have to try to second guess how to get through to a live person!!!!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:38 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy

This is good to know as I am about 3 months into my secured card with BOA. I am thinking about getting a new car in about 6 months so hopefully will be in better shape by then. Thanks for the info.