Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Secret to Making Gravy Brown (when living in the US)

The Secret to Making Gravy Brown (when living in the US)

Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:05 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The Secret to Making Gravy Brown (when living in the US)

I saw a request for this on one of the usenet groups but I don't want to share my secret with all and sundry in cyberspace...

I like to experiment and I've discovered that I can make brown colored gravy by simply substituting one ingredient.

When making the roux, instead of using regular plain wheat flour, I use buckwheat flour.

It is naturally brown so the finished gravy is brown too. It's not such a dark brown as Bisto type gravy, but it is brown and its taste is not any different to roux made with wheat flour.

Happy gravy making! This is my little Xmas present to you all!

NC Penguin
Karma gladly received if you like the results of this tip!!

Last edited by NC Penguin; Dec 6th 2004 at 6:07 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:12 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Secret to Making Gravy Brown (when living in the US)

Use bisto, oxo and meat juices - simple (and brown)
Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:17 pm
Displaced Canadian

Amywen is an unknown quantity at this point

I just have a bottle of gravy browning I got sent to me in a CARE package from home :P
Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Use bisto, oxo and meat juices - simple (and brown)
Yeah but what if you don't want to use (in my case) or can't get hold of Bisto?

There's probably a lot of Brits out there that fall into the latter category...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I just have to ask this. Why does the gravy have to be brown?
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I just have to ask this. Why does the gravy have to be brown?
I don't know the answer to that unfortunately. I'll remember to ask my Mum next time I speak to her by phone.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:05 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

I have found this stuff called "Maggie seasoning" in the supermarkets over here and add it to my gravy, gives a really nice taste, it's become my replacement oxo's!!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:22 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by robskatie
I have found this stuff called "Maggie seasoning" in the supermarkets over here and add it to my gravy, gives a really nice taste, it's become my replacement oxo's!!
That "really nice taste" I suspect is from the inclusion of MSG in the product. I'll be you some Karma that I'm right!

Please check the ingredients...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:33 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
That "really nice taste" I suspect is from the inclusion of MSG in the product. I'll be you some Karma that I'm right!

Please check the ingredients...

NC Penguin
O.K here goes:
water, salt, wheat gluten, wheat, sugar, wheat bran, acetic acid, caramel color, disidium inosinate, disodium guanylate, dextrose monohydrate, yeast
not sure if all that adds up to MSG (not sure if I want to use it again either!)
Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:44 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by robskatie
O.K here goes:
water, salt, wheat gluten, wheat, sugar, wheat bran, acetic acid, caramel color, disidium inosinate, disodium guanylate, dextrose monohydrate, yeast
not sure if all that adds up to MSG (not sure if I want to use it again either!)

"Disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate do not contain MSG, but work synergistically with free glutamic acid. When disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate are found on a food label, consumers can be fairly certain that the labeled product contains some hidden processed free glutamic acid (MSG). Disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate are relatively expensive food additives that would not be cost effective if they were not used in the presence of MSG.
E627 Disodium guanylate
E631 Disodium inosinate"

The above came from http://www.truthinlabeling.org/Enumbers.html

and

"MSG Labeling
Don't be fooled by product labels that claim No MSG, No MSG added, or no added MSG because they may contain MSG. Due to current labeling laws, it may not be listed on the label.

The FDA requires most products to label MSG containing ingredients with their common names. The term monosodium glutamate is reserved for the ingredient that is a 99 percent pure combination of glutamic acid and sodium.

Terms for products on labels that always contain MSG include any protein that is hydrolyzed, autolyzed yeast, calcium caseinate, glutamate, glutamic acid, gelatin, hydrolyzed soy protein, monosodium glutamate, monopotassium glutamate, sodium caseinate, textured protein, yeast nutrient, yeast extract, and yeast food.

When broth, bouillon, and stock are used as ingredients in other products, manufacturers do not have to disclose their MSG-containing components."

The above came from http://allergies.about.com/cs/msg/a/aa022100a.htm

So, my conclusion is that MSG is lurking in your product...

Karma for you!

NC Penguin
Old Dec 7th 2004, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
"Disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate do not contain MSG, but work synergistically with free glutamic acid. When disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate are found on a food label, consumers can be fairly certain that the labeled product contains some hidden processed free glutamic acid (MSG). Disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate are relatively expensive food additives that would not be cost effective if they were not used in the presence of MSG.
E627 Disodium guanylate
E631 Disodium inosinate"

The above came from http://www.truthinlabeling.org/Enumbers.html

and

"MSG Labeling
Don't be fooled by product labels that claim No MSG, No MSG added, or no added MSG because they may contain MSG. Due to current labeling laws, it may not be listed on the label.

The FDA requires most products to label MSG containing ingredients with their common names. The term monosodium glutamate is reserved for the ingredient that is a 99 percent pure combination of glutamic acid and sodium.

Terms for products on labels that always contain MSG include any protein that is hydrolyzed, autolyzed yeast, calcium caseinate, glutamate, glutamic acid, gelatin, hydrolyzed soy protein, monosodium glutamate, monopotassium glutamate, sodium caseinate, textured protein, yeast nutrient, yeast extract, and yeast food.

When broth, bouillon, and stock are used as ingredients in other products, manufacturers do not have to disclose their MSG-containing components."

The above came from http://allergies.about.com/cs/msg/a/aa022100a.htm

So, my conclusion is that MSG is lurking in your product...

Karma for you!

NC Penguin
WOW! All that and I only wanted brown gravy... :scared:
Old Dec 7th 2004, 5:09 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I just use Bisto that I buy from the many Brit stores in the US.

Put granules in bowl, pour in hot water. Simple
Old Dec 7th 2004, 5:29 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I just use Bisto that I buy from the many Brit stores in the US.

Put granules in bowl, pour in hot water. Simple
that's even simpler than mine - have some karma
Old Dec 7th 2004, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
that's even simpler than mine - have some karma

I found this FANTASTIC Thing... its called.. "Vons Brown Gravy Mix" ...
Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:34 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Tone's beef base is a similar but slightly saltier thea oxo.
If you want brown gravy use a little burnt sugar.