British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Secondry Insepction at Border (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/secondry-insepction-border-759430/)

civilservant May 24th 2012 8:57 pm

Secondry Insepction at Border

Has anyone ever been throught the above? What were your experiances? Just cuiosity really - I like many others have seen UK Border Force and what happens on 2nd inspections in the UK and wondered if it was the same in the US.

SultanOfSwing May 24th 2012 9:03 pm

Re: Secondry Insepction at Border

I went through secondary when I entered on my K1. It was really rather boring, for me anyway, all I did was sit there until they got a package of stuff (among which was an application form for the EAD) for me and called me up to hand it to me.

While I was there, there was a Chinese bloke in the process of being denied entry, poor bugger. Lots of people sitting around and waiting. I didn't even know it was called 'secondary' then and I didn't expect to have to do it but it was a giant non-event and helped to kill a bit of time of my four hour connection ...

Steve_ May 24th 2012 10:59 pm

I've been through secondary inspection in the US dozens of times, what exactly do you want to know?

Basically it's usually so they can deal with something they can't sort out at primary inspection.

If they're suspicious about whether you have non-immigrant intent, that can land you in secondary inspection, had that happen a few times. Then they just quiz you.

Nowadays I haven't got the time for it so I carry a portfolio with me that has plenty of evidence, utility bills, pay slips, property paperwork, etc.

The key point is that the law (for visitors) requires you to have a home abroad and be able to demonstrate that you are a visitor for business or pleasure. So for example, proof of funds (credit card doesn't really cut it, I carry a bank statement, although you don't really need to go that far), return ticket etc.

A lot of people get excessively hung up on the number of days they plan on staying. CBP isn't so much interested in that, they're looking for non-immigrant intent. Duration of stay is only one determining factor.

Pombat May 25th 2012 12:51 am

I had to go once in San Francisco. At the time my husband was on an L1 visa and the kids and I were on L2 visas. We were returning from a trip to the UK without hubby. Apparently the computer at immigration couldn't recognise my L2 status for some reason, so we got sent to secondary questioning where the computer was 'better'. 10 minutes waiting, 2 minutes at the desk and we were cleared. There was a woman in front of us who was a green card holder and had been out of the country for just over 1 year - they denied her entry and were talking about sending her back minus her green card......scary stuff.

kimilseung May 25th 2012 1:00 am

Did it like nearly everyone else when entering on the visa.

Also went through secondary when I entered when visiting my wife (then she was a girlfriend) and I did not have a flight ticket out.
I was getting a Korean work visa (kill two birds, get the visa and do a visit), and the employer was going to sort out my flight back, It took an hour and a half or so of telling the same story to a few different people, lots of siting around. But all the visa and job documentation I had, made them happy and they let me in.

Getting the visa in America also caused a slight problem, because the Korean consulate in America expected a four year degree, and there was a fair bit of phone calls back and forth before it went through.

Ash UK/US May 25th 2012 5:53 am

I went through secondary inspection at Detroit when I entered on my K1, It was not the most pleasant experience but it had to be done.

civilservant May 25th 2012 6:01 am

Anyone done it while travelling in the VWP?

kimilseung May 25th 2012 6:22 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10080864)

May I refer you to my previous reply.

markwm May 25th 2012 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10080864)

Yes, every time for the last few years. It's time consuming and boring - they ask you questions to verify whatever it is they need verified and then send you on your way. They've always been polite and business like with me and it's no more than a minor inconvenience. Note that is me: I have no idea what it would be like for others.

If you keep getting pulled in for the same reason you can try this site:

http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1169676919316.shtm

No idea if it works. Good luck.

civilservant May 25th 2012 3:18 pm

Oh no, never been pulled. Entering the US in October to see my wife while our I-130 application is progressing and was curious to know what secondary may entail if I do get pulled.

SultanOfSwing May 25th 2012 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10081810)
Oh no, never been pulled. Entering the US in October to see my wife while our I-130 application is progressing and was curious to know what secondary may entail if I do get pulled.

They won't necessarily know the I-130 is in progress. Unless asked directly, you don't need to bring it up either. Provided you've had more days out than you had in (or close to it) on your last visit and meet all the other standard VWP requirements, chances are you'll be waved on in as normal.

If you are, it'll just be for more detailed questioning to ensure you're not intending to overstay. One would think, having just forked out all that money for the I-130, you'd not waste it by getting yourself banned from the US, but logic and common sense aren't job requirements for immigration control.

RICH May 25th 2012 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 10080854)
I went through secondary inspection at Detroit when I entered on my K1, It was not the most pleasant experience but it had to be done.

I did K1 via Detroit, and did not get secondary. I handed over the mystery envelope, and tried to give the guy my X-ray, which he declined. That was pretty much it:)

Egon May 25th 2012 5:24 pm

I came through JFK on a K1.

It was all rather simple really. The initial check was a guy who opened my envelope of documents and muddled his way through the process (by his admission he'd not done one before but it seemed pretty straightforward).

Then he showed me where to go and wait which I did. I handed in some documents and waited some more. This was around 4pm. No one else was waiting so after a short while I was called up. I expected more questions but he handed me my passport and I was good to go.

It happened far quicker than I was expecting.

Steve_ May 25th 2012 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10081810)

They can find it in their system if they put enough effort into it but it doesn't pop up automatically in your entry record, is my understanding. I asked that question on here myself, no-one seemed to know so I asked specifically at the POE and that was what CBP told me. They have access to all kinds of databases in order to check up on people, for example if they've lost their passport.

Immigrant petition filings such as an I-130 or I-140 do not show immigrant intent, because it is being filed by another person and technically you do not have control over it, unless you are filing an I-140 on your own behalf under EB-1.

It's when the petition is approved and you apply for an immigrant visa or AOS that immigrant intent is shown, usually.

scrubbedexpat099 May 25th 2012 10:54 pm

UK Border Force going by the TV series are a bunch of wussies.

Bob May 25th 2012 11:44 pm

Went through it when I came over on the K1.

It was shit because the airport was being renovated and there wasn't any AC and I was stuck in a pokey little lounge area with about 10 people who were being bounced back to the Bahamas or somewhere there abouts. Was there for about an hour, my name is very common and it flagged something or other up.

Had a mate who was coming to my wedding, he was supposed to then get a connecting flight to Bangor, Maine.

When they called the contact number on his I-94, he had transposed a couple of numbers around and the number didn't work, so he was taken to secondary and they wouldn't let him ring anyone else or get to his bag. So he couldn't ring my mobile or anything.

He was held up for 4 hours until they could find someone that could be bothered to get his bag to look at his address book and to call us to verify he was coming to our wedding.

The delay meant his missed the connecting flight and as it was now late, he missed my stag do, sleeping in the airport and getting the first flight out.

One of the missus cousins, she drove the 1.5hr out at the crack of dawn to pick him up at the airport and back, while he got dressed in the back of her car. Interesting way to meet the extended family. He made it to the wedding with about 5 minutes to spare and I had another mate ready to be a replacement best man in case he didn't make it, so ended up with two best men :lol:

scrubbedexpat091 May 26th 2012 2:19 am

I have entering Canada, it was overall very boring. I went inside, sat in a chair for 15 minutes while the lady at the counter typed at a computer, then she gave me my PR Card back and said have a nice day.

Didn't search the car, or my luggage and no idea what she was typing. I assume they were verifying I still met the residency requirements as my PR card had expired.

Ash UK/US May 27th 2012 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10082560)
get to his bag. So he couldn't ring my mobile or anything.

I had to wait until I was done being interviewed until I could collect my luggage too... I must admitt I was bricking it!