Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Secondment allowances, I have questions.

Secondment allowances, I have questions.

Old Feb 26th 2020, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

missybpink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secondment allowances, I have questions.

Hi Hubby is applying for a position moving from uk to Rhode Island, they have given some information but I dont know as to when its acceptable to start asking precise questions, so I thought I would ask on here see if anyone can help, they have said about Location allowance which is based on the differences between home and new area and R&R Leave allowance has anyone come across this before.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secondment allowances, I have questions.

Originally Posted by missybpink
Hi Hubby is applying for a position moving from uk to Rhode Island, they have given some information but I dont know as to when its acceptable to start asking precise questions, so I thought I would ask on here see if anyone can help, they have said about Location allowance which is based on the differences between home and new area and R&R Leave allowance has anyone come across this before.
When you say he's 'applying for a position', is this a job in his current company that he's been asked to apply for as a transfer? If so, I'd ask for full details of their relocation package, it would be fine to ask those questions.

What's the job? 'R&R Leave' sounds like a military position?
Old Feb 26th 2020, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the type of visa, you may or may not be eligible to work here. If you have been relying on 2 incomes, make sure the new salary will support the lifestyle and commitments that you have without any salary from you (if it's a visa that does not permit the spouse to work). Even if you are eligible to apply for a work permit, it will take some time to be issued so you need to allow for at least a few months with no income from your side.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

missybpink is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
When you say he's 'applying for a position', is this a job in his current company that he's been asked to apply for as a transfer? If so, I'd ask for full details of their relocation package, it would be fine to ask those questions.

What's the job? 'R&R Leave' sounds like a military position?
Hi yes his current company has advertised this position they have given a list of what the successful applicant will get but no exact totals and no indication as to what level of Location allowance as it's a blanket information booklet for the company, no it's not military.

Originally Posted by steph0scope
Depending on the type of visa, you may or may not be eligible to work here. If you have been relying on 2 incomes, make sure the new salary will support the lifestyle and commitments that you have without any salary from you (if it's a visa that does not permit the spouse to work). Even if you are eligible to apply for a work permit, it will take some time to be issued so you need to allow for at least a few months with no income from your side.
I'm disabled so me working is irrelevant.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi yes his current company has advertised this position they have given a list of what the successful applicant will get but no exact totals and no indication as to what level of Location allowance as it's a blanket information booklet for the company, no it's not military.
Ah, ok. The exact totals will presumably depend on where the applicant is coming from, somebody moving from Pennsylvania will get a different total to somebody moving internationally. I would just ask the company if it's important to you, moving a family abroad costs a small fortune so hopefully they'll cover most (or all) of it if it's an internal transfer. Presumably it's a L1 visa and he's some kind of executive/manager? This Wiki article should give you some info on what a typical relocation package for that kind of position usually looks like - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compa...on_Packages_US

Do make sure he negotiates to keep his UK holiday allowance, and if you think you may want to stay permanently then it's also worth making sure you have written in to the contract that the company will sponsor green cards within x amount of time.

I'm disabled so me working is irrelevant.
If you have any medical needs then do make sure you look very carefully in to what healthcare coverage the company offers, it'll usually still cost you but make sure they're going to cover the bulk of it.

Good luck with it.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 9:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
..... but make sure they're going to cover the bulk of it. ....
That may or may not be good advice. The way the tax and health insurance works these days in the US, it can be cheaper, because of the tax deduction on funds paid into a Health Savings Account, to pick up some of the tab yourself if, as is often (but not always) the case, substantially less for the insurance that provides the safety net if you have substantial expenses. To be clear, this is the same insurance either way, the difference is only whether it starts after you have paid the first $500-$1,000 per person, or after you have paid the first $3,000 per person.

Bizarrely the "traditional coverage" v "high deductible" coverage decision can be pretty much a one way bet - in other words, if you have substantial medical costs during the year it doesn't make much difference either way in total costs (Insurance premiums + out of pocket costs), but if you have low medical costs during the year you have just salted tax-free money away in your Health Savings Account.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 1:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you receive some kind of incapacity benefit (or whatever they call it these days, my years as a JobCentre Plus employee are well behind me at this point) that will terminate when you leave the UK as this move is not temporary in nature (meaning less than 6 months), and you won't be entitled to any in the US.

Just something else to think about on top of the healthcare.