Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Second week in US, homesick starts!

Second week in US, homesick starts!

Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:18 pm
Banned

Chippie79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Second week in US, homesick starts!

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I nearly choked on my coffee at that one!!

I would have thought that eating "typical" US foods and watching US tv programmes would have made the homesickness much, much, much worse.

I couldn't give a hoot about a lot of US tv but take away my iplayer and I'm a very unhappy PF.

In my 15 years of living outside the UK, I think that living in a culture/country not your own is a continuous low level of stress, like tinnitus perhaps that you don't notice most of the time. I need my little bit of Britishness (food, friends or tv) to retreat to so that I feel fortified to go out there again.

I agree! We lived in Texas for a year (had to return to the UK for family reasons but are in the process of a possible relocation to Arizona). While in Texas I felt so isolated and alone. I'd say it was likely I was even a bit depressed in the clinical sense. If I'd have had the foresight to get some Alan Partridge on, some original Kitchen Nightmares and even some Top Gear I know I would have felt a huge comfort. I know now for next time
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:21 pm
Banned

Chippie79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
We lived in the US for twenty five years with no TV and never missed it. We sometimes flick through the channels when we are staying at a hotel, and there's nothing to watch on any channel (unless you're into car chases or commercials.) Occasionally end up watching the local school board meeting or similar. One time we were staying somewhere a couple of days and were able to watch an entire season of downtown abbey ...
Hello! Can I ask why you moved back home? (Assuming you moved home and not just elsewhere). Sorry to ask but we're possibly moving and I'm feeling a tad anxious. My anxiety is making me ask!!! ) )
Old Jul 20th 2017, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chippie79
Oh bless you! Where have you moved to in the US? I swear you'll settle in soon! Moving to another country is one thing but moving to a large country like the US is a whole different story. Unless you live in a small neighbourhood with long term residents who are friendly and want to talk, it can be tough to get to know people at first. But once you're in your new home you'll make friends quickly as you have children. They'll be your gateway to making friends and you'll soon settle down and feel much happier.

We are considering a move to the US from the UK. I already feel very anxious about it and we are in the VERY early stages of it all. But I know the US well and have lived there before (pre children).

Keep posting your updates. I'll keep checking. I'm always here for a chat! You're not alone
We moved from Bay Area from Surrey . Good luck to your move !i can't wait to move to my new house and start making friends.....
Old Jul 20th 2017, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
We moved from Bay Area from Surrey . Good luck to your move !i can't wait to move to my new house and start making friends.....
Happy move day tomorrow. It's a huge milestone and hopefully a great tonic for you, too
Old Jul 20th 2017, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

leepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond repute

You know you're getting used to it when you start referring to SF as The Bay Area.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leepne
You know you're getting used to it when you start referring to SF as The Bay Area.
The Bay area refers to the areas surrounding San Francisco Bay. Specifically not San Francisco.

https://www.bayarea.com/

Last edited by johnwoo; Jul 20th 2017 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:57 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
The Bay area refers to the areas surrounding San Francisco Bay. Specifically not San Francisco.
I beg to differ. The [San Francisco] Bay Area DOES specifically include the city of San Francisco.

The generally accepted definition of the Bay Area is the nine counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
I beg to differ. The [San Francisco] Bay Area DOES specifically include the city of San Francisco.

The generally accepted definition of the Bay Area is the nine counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma.
You are correct on geographical terms, but I think as common usage, anyone living in the city wouldn't say they lived in the Bay Area, more likely to say they lived in San Francisco. In fact I often say I live in San Francisco to people who probably would have no idea where or what the "Bay Area" is.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:39 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct on geographical terms, but I think as common usage, anyone living in the city wouldn't say they lived in the Bay Area, more likely to say they lived in San Francisco. In fact I often say I live in San Francisco to people who probably would have no idea where or what the "Bay Area" is.
Yeah, "Bay Area" is clear and unambiguous to folks in the [SF] Bay Area.

But for others, I usually say "San Francisco Bay Area" or "near San Francisco".
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 12:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chippie79
Hello! Can I ask why you moved back home? (Assuming you moved home and not just elsewhere). Sorry to ask but we're possibly moving and I'm feeling a tad anxious. My anxiety is making me ask!!! ....
I see Robin has replied, so I will take the liberty of replying for him based solely on previously posted information.

Robin's wife is a born US citizen, and when they retired they agreed to buy a second home in the UK, then split there time between the two countries, but with a twist: Robin spends slightly more than half a year in the UK and is tax resident in the UK, and his wife spends slightly more than half the year in the US and is tax resident in the US.

AFAIK they haven't agreed and end game and they know there is a risk that medical issues could ultimately strand them each in a different country, or that one may be forced to move full time to take care of the other - they are both dual citizens.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 22nd 2017 at 12:52 am.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
We have been here 4.5 weeks and still in temp accommodation so l honestly feel your pain about routine as l have a young son and as off the weekend we are now down to one car for a couple of weeks!!! 😳 The apartment we are in is beautiful but there is only so long you can keep kids happy when they aren't in a home and l remind myself that l will look back on this time fondly one day as it was the start of our adventure.
We have recently started going to the library that has story times most days. I also go food shopping every couple of days (don't buy much) but it fills the time and l start working out which stores are good and which to avoid and generally l end up chatting with someone.
I do an hour of school work each day with my little one which gives us a little bit of a routine and hopefully is beneficial to him.
Try joining your local ymca near your new house as that apparently will have loads on for you and the kids.
I have noticed (in my v brief time here) that lots of people here move about quite a lot and therefore there are plenty of people in a similar situation to us.
Please don't underestimate how big a move this is and just because everyone is excited for you and we are lucky to have this chance, that doesn't mean it is any less daunting or emotional.
I have another carless day and 10 hours to fill so wish me luck!!! 😀
How are you now ? We got the key to the new house but still not moved in as the beds not deliveried yet . How is your car situation with you . Hopefully you will get your car back soon . all the best!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Live "off-grid". Disengage from all that nonsense beamed at you through TV and Radio !
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

How are you now ? We got the key to the new house but still not moved in as the beds not deliveried yet . How is your car situation with you . Hopefully you will get your car back soon . all the best!
How are you finding the bay area? After deciding against moving to Texas we have gone full circle and are reconsidering California (Livermore, Mountain House, Stockton kind of areas). We are struggling with Florida and have decided its as near to SF as we can afford or home! Hope you feel more settled once you get into your new home, being in limbo is definitely unhelpful when you're missing home
Old Jul 26th 2017, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
How are you finding the bay area? After deciding against moving to Texas we have gone full circle and are reconsidering California (Livermore, Mountain House, Stockton kind of areas). We are struggling with Florida and have decided its as near to SF as we can afford or home! Hope you feel more settled once you get into your new home, being in limbo is definitely unhelpful when you're missing home
Livermore is OK, good downtown scene, if you can find a home at your price level, be aware it you have to commute traffic is a nightmare here.
The Bay area in general is overcrowded and over priced. If you are young and can endure the hassle of traffic, high prices and overcrowding it's fine. There are lots to recommend it.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

Livermore is OK, good downtown scene, if you can find a home at your price level, be aware it you have to commute traffic is a nightmare here.
The Bay area in general is overcrowded and over priced. If you are young and can endure the hassle of traffic, high prices and overcrowding it's fine. There are lots to recommend it.
Thanks, the husband wouldn't have to commute too much so he doesn't mind being around those areas. The high prices concern me, as much as i'd like to think our income could rise significantly in the near future, it could also go the opposite way! Stupidly i've just been comparing what we could have back home (UK) for the same money and based on that I think we've lost the plot Are other areas like mountain house/stockton or north of there ok? Or are we starting to hit what might be problem areas? They are much lower in price than Livermore seems to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.