Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Second week in US, homesick starts!

Second week in US, homesick starts!

Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second week in US, homesick starts!

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
From experience, everything changes once you're out of the hotel and in your own place. We almost packed it in after 3 days in a hotel with 3 young kids.
I think so ... I can't wait for Friday to get the key !
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm a big believer in this! I understand that until you get into your home, OP, it will be difficult to start settling in, but when you do, please look ahead to the great things your new environment has to offer, not back to what you had before. Don't look for Brit meetups, instead join local organizations that mesh with your personal interests, whether they be reading, dogs, needlework, cooking. It really will help, OP! Best of luck.
Thanks a lot guys .....I am looking forward to the future . I m planning to to take kids to Dublin library tmr . Hopefully we will find some interesting things to do .
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It sounds like you've agreed with me because that is exactly what I meant by "long-term home sickness issues".

BTW I wouldn't recommend US TV to anyone it is almost entirely çräp.
So far I can't even stand the US Tv. The high pitch voice really making me depressing ......
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:19 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
So far I can't even stand the US Tv. The high pitch voice really making me depressing ......
We lived in the US for twenty five years with no TV and never missed it. We sometimes flick through the channels when we are staying at a hotel, and there's nothing to watch on any channel (unless you're into car chases or commercials.) Occasionally end up watching the local school board meeting or similar. One time we were staying somewhere a couple of days and were able to watch an entire season of downtown abbey ...
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very interesting and useful thread!

I've found that watching British TV shows while I'm in the US (I'm only basing this on my back-and-forth visits, of course, but most notably my recent extended stay) makes me feel a bit alienated; I think it highlights the fact that I'm 'away', and I'm convinced that would contribute to what Pulaski highlights/describes as a catalyst for long-term homesickness, at least for me personally. I'm not enthralled by American TV either (I watch Food Network and that's about it, though I even avoid that channel at the weekend - the presenters are SO EXCITED FOR NO REASON) so perhaps I might also benefit from growing some cucumbers.

I like Nutmegger's advice, about not seeking out Brit meet-ups but instead looking to integrate into your new environment and find groups for like-minded people/hobbies/etc. We're all just people, at the end of the day! It would be such a shame to limit ourselves by only sticking to what's familiar, when there are so many potentially fun/meaningful connections to make out in the big wide world. I made myself a local at the sports bar in my soon-to-be American town (I appreciate I am in a fortunate position of not needing to take care of children) and was soon adopted by a wonderful gang of friends (all American) who have made me feel so, so welcome in the States, and that has gone a long way in easing some of the emotional pain of my upcoming move. America is not so big, scary and lonely once you've made a couple of friends!

Good luck to you, S.Susan. It certainly sounds like a very difficult transition. I hope it's not too long before you and your family can feel more settled.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:13 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I get homesick for France and in particular the food....
Yes, we do too. We last lived in France over 20 years ago. (One of our children was born there, now all grown up.) We STILL talk about the bakeries, the coffee, the milk, butter, cheese, meat, fish.... oh everything edible.

Little did we know we would spoil ourselves for eating anywhere else in the world.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:50 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It took us a number of years to finally admit that we weren't getting value for our cable contract, not even close. Now we just dip into Netflix occasionally.

I'm off now to tend my tomatoes and cucumbers, work on the fence, grub out some tree roots with a mattock, and remove the garage door opener so I can replace it. Who needs TV?
Cable TV is insanely overpriced.

A Netflix subscription is really quite reasonable. I have one although I hardly ever watch it -- our daughter (college student) certainly gets value and the cost is a drop in the bucket relative to the tuition.

But I did download a (not quite legit) copy of the British Grand Prix this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yeah, great job Lewis :-)
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:54 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Yes, we do too. We last lived in France over 20 years ago. (One of our children was born there, now all grown up.) We STILL talk about the bakeries, the coffee, the milk, butter, cheese, meat, fish.... oh everything edible.

Little did we know we would spoil ourselves for eating anywhere else in the world.
apart from Italy!
or Thailand?

I really like US (Texan?) beef. I really got fed up with bad quality beef steak and chips in France.

I'm about to make tarte citron to take to dinner tonight.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 8:21 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
apart from Italy!
or Thailand?

I really like US (Texan?) beef. I really got fed up with bad quality beef steak and chips in France.

I'm about to make tarte citron to take to dinner tonight.
Well, almost any European food is better than the stuff we occasionally have out in the USA. (Others' mileage may differ.) And you're right, when we lived in France, the biftek or onglet could be very dubious in quality, and I never --ever-- ordered chips in France....

I didn't have much experience of the food in Thailand, but Japanese food could be extremely good. In fact, Japanese beef--terrific!

Last edited by WEBlue; Jul 19th 2017 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

leepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond repute

The high pitch voice really making me depressing ......
You won't last long in Cali then.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leepne
You won't last long in Cali then.
I know right.......................
Old Jul 19th 2017, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

leepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I know right.......................
Right!!!!!
Old Jul 20th 2017, 8:53 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Cable TV is insanely overpriced.

A Netflix subscription is really quite reasonable. I have one although I hardly ever watch it -- our daughter (college student) certainly gets value and the cost is a drop in the bucket relative to the tuition.

But I did download a (not quite legit) copy of the British Grand Prix this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yeah, great job Lewis :-)
In the US we have a public library and a college library that have very good DVD collections, so tens of thousands of movies, documentaries and tv series available, free of charge. Old technology, I know. We have a twenty year old TV set (Walmart, $60) and a DVD player.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:02 pm
Banned

Chippie79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Second week finished , the best thing for the second week is we signed the contract for our own rented house . Hurray ! Another week, we should be able to move in.
For this week , I have learned 1) always bring a cardigan with you. No matter where you go and how hot is outside , always bring a cardigan with you . Because as soon as you go inside of a mall or restaurant , it will be freezing cold

2) don't order a ice tea with little ice. I ordered a ice tea and told the stuff I don't like too much ice . However I m wrong . It's not about I like it or not , it is about I need it or not . Soon after 5 minutes , that's once called ice tea is turning into a warm tea...ever since that , I stop order the drinking without ice ..

3) don't feel dodgy if your estate agent ask you to meet up in a coffee shop. Seriously I didnt feel comfortable at all after my agent told me . I thought meeting in the coffee shop to give the deposit is just wrong. Later I checked with my local friend she said it is totally normal. What can I say , they probably just love coffee!

Second week is a bit harder for me , since husband is at work , i m on my own and children are getting enough with living in a hotel and no toys no friends, they cry every other day and saying they want to Go back. Frankly , I also miss England , miss our home in Sunbury . Miss my local MS, Miss have a walk to the river to feed the ducks. Actually I secretly had a little cry the other day when hubby turned on the radio magic FM. I never thought I will be this homesick, because firstly I m not English and secondly I have done international move before. However I have ignored the fact that 15 years is a really long time in my life and I was in my comfort zone. Anyway I m sure I will be ok after all and especially hubby promised me he will get me English TV somehow . I really miss BBC!

Thanks for listening to my rambles and have a great week guys.

Oh bless you! Where have you moved to in the US? I swear you'll settle in soon! Moving to another country is one thing but moving to a large country like the US is a whole different story. Unless you live in a small neighbourhood with long term residents who are friendly and want to talk, it can be tough to get to know people at first. But once you're in your new home you'll make friends quickly as you have children. They'll be your gateway to making friends and you'll soon settle down and feel much happier.

We are considering a move to the US from the UK. I already feel very anxious about it and we are in the VERY early stages of it all. But I know the US well and have lived there before (pre children).

Keep posting your updates. I'll keep checking. I'm always here for a chat! You're not alone
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:13 pm
Banned

Chippie79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you . Be kind to myself . That's what I need. I m so busy and I don't even care about what do I feel sometimes. I need to slow down and look after myself first otherwise it's not good for my children either.
Hello there! Where in Texas are you? We "may" be relocating to Arizona but my husband's family are in Texas and I'd need to stay with them with our children while my husband gets everything set up in Arizona (to avoid the whole staying in a hotel with children thing).

I'll admit, I'm nervous about possibly moving. A transfer application is in progress. Whether he'll get approval or not is another matter. It's in the hands of fate now! How do you find it out there? Life I mean. Are you enjoying it?

Best wishes,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.