Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Second week in US, homesick starts!

Second week in US, homesick starts!

Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second week in US, homesick starts!

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I always fear that people who surround themselves by British TV and British foods/snacks are just building up long-term home sickness issues.
I nearly choked on my coffee at that one!!

I would have thought that eating "typical" US foods and watching US tv programmes would have made the homesickness much, much, much worse.

I couldn't give a hoot about a lot of US tv but take away my iplayer and I'm a very unhappy PF.

In my 15 years of living outside the UK, I think that living in a culture/country not your own is a continuous low level of stress, like tinnitus perhaps that you don't notice most of the time. I need my little bit of Britishness (food, friends or tv) to retreat to so that I feel fortified to go out there again.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... a continuous low level of stress, ....
It sounds like you've agreed with me because that is exactly what I meant by "long-term home sickness issues".

BTW I wouldn't recommend US TV to anyone it is almost entirely çräp.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Look for new fun things to do, try not to obsess about things you used to do.

I always fear that people who surround themselves by British TV and British foods/snacks are just building up long-term home sickness issues.
Embrace your new environment!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Look for new fun things to do, try not to obsess about things you used to do.

I'm a big believer in this! I understand that until you get into your home, OP, it will be difficult to start settling in, but when you do, please look ahead to the great things your new environment has to offer, not back to what you had before. Don't look for Brit meetups, instead join local organizations that mesh with your personal interests, whether they be reading, dogs, needlework, cooking. It really will help, OP! Best of luck.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm a big believer in this! I understand that until you get into your home, OP, it will be difficult to start settling in, but when you do, please look ahead to the great things your new environment has to offer, not back to what you had before. Don't look for Brit meetups, instead join local organizations that mesh with your personal interests, whether they be reading, dogs, needlework, cooking. It really will help, OP! Best of luck.
That was my policy when I moved here way back when, including turning down those "I know someone from England, you must meet them" kind of invitations. Now I've been here for ever and am a few decades past "home-sickness", I do do more "British" stuff and watch more British television.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That was my policy when I moved here way back when, including turning down those "I know someone from England, you must meet them" kind of invitations.

I attended such an occasion once, and only because I didn't have the option not to as it involved OH and work. The woman, from London, looked me up and down and went, "Well, you don't sound as if you come from Yorkshire . . ." and ignored me for the rest of the evening!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

That was my policy when I moved here way back when, including turning down those "I know someone from England, you must meet them" kind of invitations. Now I've been here for ever and am a few decades past "home-sickness", I do do more "British" stuff and watch more British television.
me too.
I get homesick for France and in particular the food....
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
Second week finished , the best thing for the second week is we signed the contract for our own rented house . Hurray ! Another week, we should be able to move in.
For this week , I have learned 1) always bring a cardigan with you. No matter where you go and how hot is outside , always bring a cardigan with you . Because as soon as you go inside of a mall or restaurant , it will be freezing cold

My wife has the a/c so low I have to wear a sweater in the house

2) don't order a ice tea with little ice. I ordered a ice tea and told the stuff I don't like too much ice . However I m wrong . It's not about I like it or not , it is about I need it or not . Soon after 5 minutes , that's once called ice tea is turning into a warm tea...ever since that , I stop order the drinking without ice ..

3) don't feel dodgy if your estate agent ask you to meet up in a coffee shop. Seriously I didnt feel comfortable at all after my agent told me . I thought meeting in the coffee shop to give the deposit is just wrong. Later I checked with my local friend she said it is totally normal. What can I say , they probably just love coffee!
I wouldn't think that was usual, although I haven't bought a house in a long time.
The first house I bought, the estate agent was English, from Feltham. We became friends and through him I got to meet a lot of other British people in the area. Mostly Scots as it turned out, and friends for life, most of whom have sadly passed on.

Second week is a bit harder for me , since husband is at work , i m on my own and children are getting enough with living in a hotel and no toys no friends, they cry every other day and saying they want to Go back. Frankly , I also miss England , miss our home in Sunbury . Miss my local MS, Miss have a walk to the river to feed the ducks. Actually I secretly had a little cry the other day when hubby turned on the radio magic FM. I never thought I will be this homesick, because firstly I m not English and secondly I have done international move before. However I have ignored the fact that 15 years is a really long time in my life and I was in my comfort zone. Anyway I m sure I will be ok after all and especially hubby promised me he will get me English TV somehow . I really miss BBC!

Thanks for listening to my rambles and have a great week guys.
There are ways you can get British TV here, We watch BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
Also in this area channels 9,10,(PBS} show a lot of British stuff and Channels 162 and 167are BBC channels.
For starters try TVCatchup - Channels
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:41 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

BTW I wouldn't recommend US TV to anyone it is almost entirely çräp.
Amen to that. But a lot of British TV is pretty dreadful these days.

The OP's move provides an opportunity to drop TV entirely. You'll save a ton of money compared to a cable subscription. And you'll have about 5 hours of extra time each day (based on average USA viewing) do engage in healthier and more constructive activities.

Seriously, it doesn't take that long to wean a family away from the box :-)
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say I've never felt homesick, I have often and still do consider the option of moving back, but for reasons other than homesickness.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Amen to that. But a lot of British TV is pretty dreadful these days. ....
I nearly said that, but I already say enough things that p裏 some people off that I backed away from that one!
..... The OP's move provides an opportunity to drop TV entirely. You'll save a ton of money compared to a cable subscription. And you'll have about 5 hours of extra time each day (based on average USA viewing) do engage in healthier and more constructive activities.

Seriously, it doesn't take that long to wean a family away from the box. ....
This this this this THIS!

It took us a number of years to finally admit that we weren't getting value for our cable contract, not even close. Now we just dip into Netflix occasionally.

I'm off now to tend my tomatoes and cucumbers, work on the fence, grub out some tree roots with a mattock, and remove the garage door opener so I can replace it. Who needs TV?
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

From experience, everything changes once you're out of the hotel and in your own place. We almost packed it in after 3 days in a hotel with 3 young kids.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off now to tend my tomatoes and cucumbers, work on the fence, grub out some tree roots with a mattock, and remove the garage door opener so I can replace it. Who needs TV?

Jesus, that sounds awful.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
From experience, everything changes once you're out of the hotel and in your own place. We almost packed it in after 3 days in a hotel with 3 young kids.
When I came, the company paid for 3 days in an Hotel and 14 days rental car, so we had to move fast. I came with a 18 month old and a 4 year old.
Luckily we found an apartment with lots of European immigrants, so my wife got to hang out with other women in the same situation during the day. Every day was like being on vacation and on the weekends explore the area.
Happy days. I don't believe similar situations apply anymore?
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
My wife has the a/c so low I have to wear a sweater in the house

I wouldn't think that was usual, although I haven't bought a house in a long time.
The first house I bought, the estate agent was English, from Feltham. We became friends and through him I got to meet a lot of other British people in the area. Mostly Scots as it turned out, and friends for life, most of whom have sadly passed on.

There are ways you can get British TV here, We watch BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
Also in this area channels 9,10,(PBS} show a lot of British stuff and Channels 162 and 167are BBC channels.
For starters try TVCatchup - Channels
We lived in Feltham for a year before we bought our house in Sunbury on Thames. By the way , The owner of a house we viewed in Dublin last week used to live in Sunbury , his street was right next to ours. We were laughing how small this world is ..and he even worked the same company as my husband...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.