Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Second US Passport

Second US Passport

Old Oct 30th 2018, 4:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second US Passport

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I just read the question being asked which was about the effect of travelling on a second US passport to the UK whilst a UK spouse visa application is in progress.
I'm not arguing with you but you read it your way, and myself and others read it differently. Which is why I asked why she needed a US passport if she were traveling within Europe as I assumed she was already in the UK. If you have a problem with the posters and postings on this thread, please take it up with the moderators and/or super moderators as you see fit.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 2:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm not arguing with you but you read it your way, and myself and others read it differently. Which is why I asked why she needed a US passport if she were traveling within Europe as I assumed she was already in the UK. If you have a problem with the posters and postings on this thread, please take it up with the moderators and/or super moderators as you see fit.
FWIW (just for your info in future as you admit not nnowing much about UK Spouse - and why should you! ) - the OP said they were waiting for a UK Spouse Visa. These have to be applied for (in almost all cases) offshore, and then waited for offshore, having submitted the passport at the time of application.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 3:02 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why I asked why she needed a US passport if she were traveling within Europe as I assumed she was already in the UK.
The UK while part of Europe is not part of the Schengen Area. Therefore to travel from the UK to “mainland” Europe, or vice versa, a passport or an official government issued ID card is required.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 4:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

The UK while part of Europe is not part of the Schengen Area. Therefore to travel from the UK to “mainland” Europe, or vice versa, a passport or an official government issued ID card is required.
Thanks, Lansbury. I have no idea what the Schengen area is although I know you asked about it in regards to flying once Brexit takes place. I've never been to the UK and have absolutely no plans to ever visit it for holiday so would never have been in the position of needing to produce my US Passport again once I left the UK for another destination on mainland Europe.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 5:36 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Lansbury. I have no idea what the Schengen area is although I know you asked about it in regards to flying once Brexit takes place. I've never been to the UK and have absolutely no plans to ever visit it for holiday so would never have been in the position of needing to produce my US Passport again once I left the UK for another destination on mainland Europe.
The Schengen Area are those EU countries with a common immigration border and therefore the ones you can travel between without having to show a passport. It is not something someone who doesn't live there, or travel there, would be aware off. The UK has never signed the Schengen Agreement and therefore maintains its own border controls.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 10:38 am
Just Joined

darbiw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all! Thought I'd give you an update since I have finally come all the way through the process and this may be helpful for others in the future.

I obtained the second passport in Minnesota in early November and used it to travel to the UK and also France. I decided to stay here in the UK while waiting for the visa to come through. My visa got approved about ten days ago. My documents, of course, had been sent to my old home in NY so a friend forwarded them to my new home in the UK. To satisfy the entry requirements, I flew to CDG on the second passport and turned right around and flew back with my first passport (the one with the vignette inside). I had zero issues with any border control or passport control. Totally smooth sailing all around. Off to pick up my BDP today and can finally start my new life.

I very much appreciate your advice and commiseration through this process. This forum provided a lot of comfort. Happy holidays!