Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seattle vs San Francisco

Wikiposts

Seattle vs San Francisco

Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seattle vs San Francisco

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think the learning for constant tests is very pressurized, and not actually a good way to gain insight into a subject.
Unfortunately, this is the trend though. There is very much a trend to teach to a test, and not so much emphasis on critiquing and in-depth understanding of the subject.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Unfortunately, this is the trend though. There is very much a trend to teach to a test, and not so much emphasis on critiquing and in-depth understanding of the subject.
Indeed. Very unfortunate.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, in the UK she would be given a whole year to develop a subject. There would be opportunities to research and prepare a small project - this is the type of work she enjoys. At the end of term they would sit a test which would count towards the level they are working at. At the end of term we would get a report to show if she was on target and this would also coincide with parent's evening so we would have the opportunity to discuss any concerns with the teachers. The children also attend so they have the chance to have a say too.

I would say though, that although Maths is her weakest subject, she has really got to grips with it here. They seem to build on what they have learnt in the previous lesson, and as she has Maths every day she is finding it easier to retain new concepts, but she does work at a very slow pace. She had a test last week, which she was supposed to finish in 45 mins. She bought the test home a few days afterwards and it took me over an hour to complete it, and I know what I'm doing! There was no way she would have ever completed it in time given so she rushed, made mistakes and got a low mark. It's pointless getting her to sit tests that do not reflect her ability and mean that she's never going score much above a "C", when the teacher expects her to get B+/A.

Never mind, rant over, as you were! At least the "Walking Dead" is about to start again - am wondering what on earth we have cable for........
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
Yes, in the UK she would be given a whole year to develop a subject. There would be opportunities to research and prepare a small project - this is the type of work she enjoys. At the end of term they would sit a test which would count towards the level they are working at. At the end of term we would get a report to show if she was on target and this would also coincide with parent's evening so we would have the opportunity to discuss any concerns with the teachers. The children also attend so they have the chance to have a say too.

I would say though, that although Maths is her weakest subject, she has really got to grips with it here. They seem to build on what they have learnt in the previous lesson, and as she has Maths every day she is finding it easier to retain new concepts, but she does work at a very slow pace. She had a test last week, which she was supposed to finish in 45 mins. She bought the test home a few days afterwards and it took me over an hour to complete it, and I know what I'm doing! There was no way she would have ever completed it in time given so she rushed, made mistakes and got a low mark. It's pointless getting her to sit tests that do not reflect her ability and mean that she's never going score much above a "C", when the teacher expects her to get B+/A.

Never mind, rant over, as you were! At least the "Walking Dead" is about to start again - am wondering what on earth we have cable for........
I hope your daughter settles into the work and doesn't let the pressure get her down.

Are you doing OK generally?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:00 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

There is a bit of a movement towards Test boycotting, supported by parents and teachers. It has been led here in Seattle by Garfield High School.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...ldtestxml.html

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/5/2...storic_victory

I think if I was here for two years and had a child that had issues with testing, I might have a few words with my child and support a partial boycott of testing, maybe sit them, but not may any heed to their score, provided the child was participating in class and making progress.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
There is a bit of a movement towards Test boycotting, supported by parents and teachers. It has been led here in Seattle by Garfield High School.

I think if I was here for two years and had a child that had issues with testing, I might have a few words with my child and support a partial boycott of testing, maybe sit them, but not may any heed to their score, provided the child was participating in class and making progress.
That sounds different from the ongoing tests for grading purposes though.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

HartleyHare my heart goes out to you! It's so tough. I realised we'd done the right thing a few weeks after we got back. For the first time in months it dawned on me that I needed to cut his fingernails. They'd got really long - he's stopped biting them - he never had before, but in Asia he started, and kept them bitten down to the skin.

As I said though, feel very scared about trying an overseas move again because we just can't risk a similar situation.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

In the public schools over there do they have LTA (learning support assistants) like they do here? DS2 has been having some extra support in a small group to catch him up and build his confidence. It's working REALLY well.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pupsiecola
In the public schools over there do they have LTA (learning support assistants) like they do here? DS2 has been having some extra support in a small group to catch him up and build his confidence. It's working REALLY well.
I don't think so. You could try asking directly at schools you are interested in.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, thank you Sally. I'm hoping that my daughter does begin to feel more settled. She's looking forward to the Halloween disco at the school next week and has made a good friend who is also new to the school.

We have been well and truly sucked into the US health system - you know, go for a simple appointment and before you know it they've ordered blood tests, heart scan, ultrasound. Between the three of us we've had treatment costing $5500 - this just basic checkup and immunisations - we only need to pay $102 of this. My hubby is having some physio too, so by the end of the year. I estimate we will have spent around $1000.

What I've found:

TV - crap
Food - good selection in supermarkets, mega portions when eating out.
People - very friendly - especially the ladies at the YMCA, who just love Engerland!
Rules & Regulations - I thought this was the "Land of the Free", but there are rules for just about everything - from owning a dog to riding a bicycle!

What was really great was that we spent met up with my brother who lives in Long Beach and has been here for 20 years. He's a guitarist so went to watch him & the band play at a gig on Long Island. It was the first time my daughter had seen him play live as she would have been too young to go to gigs when he's played in the UK. We hope to visit him and his family next summer for my 50th
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

There's none at my daughter's school - my daughter had help in a small group in the UK for Maths, and you're right, they are very effective. As Sally said, you would need to check with the school. I don't know anything about elementary schools I'm afraid.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
Yes, thank you Sally. I'm hoping that my daughter does begin to feel more settled. She's looking forward to the Halloween disco at the school next week and has made a good friend who is also new to the school.

We have been well and truly sucked into the US health system - you know, go for a simple appointment and before you know it they've ordered blood tests, heart scan, ultrasound. Between the three of us we've had treatment costing $5500 - this just basic checkup and immunisations - we only need to pay $102 of this. My hubby is having some physio too, so by the end of the year. I estimate we will have spent around $1000.

What I've found:

TV - crap
Food - good selection in supermarkets, mega portions when eating out.
People - very friendly - especially the ladies at the YMCA, who just love Engerland!
Rules & Regulations - I thought this was the "Land of the Free", but there are rules for just about everything - from owning a dog to riding a bicycle!

What was really great was that we spent met up with my brother who lives in Long Beach and has been here for 20 years. He's a guitarist so went to watch him & the band play at a gig on Long Island. It was the first time my daughter had seen him play live as she would have been too young to go to gigs when he's played in the UK. We hope to visit him and his family next summer for my 50th
Sounds par for the course.

I'm sure your daughter will enjoy Halloween.

That's great that you met up with your brother. It will be fun to visit for your
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of them, but they could exist in some school districts (not sure what they do, tbh). Its far more common for you to employ the services of a private tutor if you think your child is having issues learning a subject
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Thanks for the links. We had a similar situation with SAT tests in the UK a few years ago - some schools were boycotting them.

I have already had a chat with my daughter about her grades along the lines you have suggested above. As long as she continues to work hard, get homework in on time etc.. I'm not going to make a big deal about these test grades. I emailed her Math teacher about a month ago so that he's aware and I've also replied to the other teacher too. In the UK they have the occasional classroom test and parents would not be aware of the score - it would be one of several factors when assessing whether current levels were being met and any concerns would be discussed at parent's evening. Interestingly, she had MAP tests a couple of weeks ago and I have no idea how she got on!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

DS2 had MAP tests just before we left, we got the results when we were back here. Average growth of pupils was 11. DS' growth was 18. Makes nonsense at all and made me bloody furious. The upheaval we went through, and the financial cost of two international moves in 11 months (DH is well paid but we received no relocation help).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.