Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seattle, Portland, or somewhere else?

Seattle, Portland, or somewhere else?

Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seattle, Portland, or somewhere else?

So, after much soul searching the last few days, we have decided to stay in the US (for the time being). For the niche IT market my OH has gotten into, he has better career prospects here in the US. He was considering taking an IT job in Glasgow, but he realized it really would be a step backwards in terms of his career and his salary. It's possible we would consider a move to the UK if the right job was offered, but for now those jobs seem few and far between so we're focusing more on where do we want to live in the US.

He's found a lot of jobs advertised in Portland OR, Seattle, quite a few down in TX, and I think some in CA, FL and NY. For myself, I'm not very interested in anyplace that gets really, really hot in the summer months. I get ill if I get overheated, and I'd rather not have to live indoors for half the year (or more). So if you had the pick of these areas to move to, where would it be and why? I've never lived further west than Louisville, KY. What little I know of the PNW is what I've read from some of you on here, and I do find it enticing.

Myself, I'm leaning more to Portland or Seattle because of the weather, although the cost of living is going to be higher than our current location. Since he's in the tech market, I'm thinking that Seattle might be the best choice. Thoughts?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seattle, Portland, or somewhere else?

Seattle! The land of the Techie! Or something like that... Anyway, the real estate is a bit high, but the weather is pretty good. As I've said before, my husband feels it's one of the reasons he's acclimatised so well, although I'm sure there are other reasons.

Anyway, I think it's an agreeable place to live.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

If it was a choice between Portland and Seattle, I'd go Seattle. Portland comes across as too young and trying to hard to be hip (see the documentary series "Portlandia"). Seattle did its hip young thing in the 90s and has grown up since, it felt much more mature.

Main reason we didn't go to either was the weather, if you can't stand constant grey drizzle half the year forget it. Also apparently in Seattle your quality of life is highly dependent on your commute (I-5 not fun).
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If it was a choice between Portland and Seattle, I'd go Seattle. Portland comes across as too young and trying to hard to be hip (see the documentary series "Portlandia"). Seattle did its hip young thing in the 90s and has grown up since, it felt much more mature.

Main reason we didn't go to either was the weather, if you can't stand constant grey drizzle half the year forget it. Also apparently in Seattle your quality of life is highly dependent on your commute (I-5 not fun).
Yeah the drizzle thing doesn't happen as often as you suggest. However, I'll agree with the commute, but definitely depends on where you live and where you're office is. My husband is working downtown Seattle and thankfully catches the train from where we live, commute is an absolute breeze compared to what he was doing with his previous job.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

They both have mountains to the west, big mountains to the east, further east is flat too.

Seattle has Canada to the north, Vancouver is doable for a day trip, Portland is 3.5 hours to the south.

Portland has Seattle to the north and California to the south.

So, do you want to do cold things on your long weekends or hot things?

Seattle has a good soccer team, Portland has a terrible soccer team, this matters to some. Seattle has a bigger metro population and so I assume Seattle gets more stuff. This is almost certainly true with theater. Lots of New York shows preview in Seattle.

Portland has two places to get proper fish and chips. In Seattle you have to got to Portland for fish and chips.

On the point of Seattle being more mature, I think it is true that Portland defines itself as not being Seattle.

sir_eccles: That's funny, Portlandia is a documentary.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:39 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Seattle and love it here. I've visited Portland lots of times, also a fun city, but I do prefer Seattle. Portland probably has a slightly lower cost of living, but you can find okay deals in Seattle these days for both renting or buying.
Naomi.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

I have lived very close to both (currently living close to Seattle) and while I can't wait to leave, if I had to pick one or the other, it would be Seattle. But traffic in both is a nightmare, public transport is not great, prices in both are high, and the weather in both is generally terrible 8-9 months of the year. If you don't mind any of those things then I would suggest Seattle over Portland. Both have a strong hippie feel to them (that's neither good nor bad, I just wanted to point that out), both have lots happening and both have their fair share of homeless. Personally I would never live 'in' either city.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point

As a side note, Grimm is set in Portland.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:43 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccarose
weather in both is generally terrible 8-9 months of the year
I think reports of bad weather are greatly exaggerated.
I can only speak with good knowledge for Seattle, I have experienced no 'terrible' weather yet, beyond a day or two of snow, when you can still walk about and drive if you have to. Some winters have no snow. The weather is definitely mild. There are few days without rain in the fall, but less rain on average than England over a year.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of IT work? Considered Boston and the burbs? It's a buzzing tech hub, not quite as mental as NYC...
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I think reports of bad weather are greatly exaggerated.
Since I don't live in Seattle itself I guess I can't say for sure, but where I am I can say reports of bad weather are not exaggerated. Yes, we have had an amazing summer and just about anywhere in Europe has paled in comparison, but from about Oct. to well into June you can count on just about endless rain.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What kind of IT work? Considered Boston and the burbs? It's a buzzing tech hub, not quite as mental as NYC...
I couldn't tell you everything he does, as I'm not up on the terminologies. He's in the MySQL DBA and Linux Administration market. Those positions seem to be more plentiful out in Seattle, Portland, and TX. I don't know if he's looked at MA. I'm not sure I want to live in the NorthEast though. It's rather crowded. I'll tell him to take a look up that way though.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I couldn't tell you everything he does, as I'm not up on the terminologies. He's in the MySQL DBA and Linux Administration market. Those positions seem to be more plentiful out in Seattle, Portland, and TX. I don't know if he's looked at MA. I'm not sure I want to live in the NorthEast though. It's rather crowded. I'll tell him to take a look up that way though.
Has he looked at any company in particular in Seattle? Just curious because my husband's company is currently recruiting.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:31 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

The Portland area is very nice. However if you want to make a decent living, prospects are better in the Seattle area.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Has he looked at any company in particular in Seattle? Just curious because my husband's company is currently recruiting.
No, he hasn't looked at any company in particular. There was a startup company that was advertising a position he was interested in; the benefits seemed pretty good. If you want, send me a PM and tell me the company your OH works for and I'll have my OH check out their positions...unless they aren't advertising their positions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.