Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seattle to Atlanta?

Seattle to Atlanta?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seattle to Atlanta?

Originally Posted by Mallory
The northern suburbs of ATL have some excellent schools. My children attended school there for 5 years. There is absolutely no need for them to go to private school. Those areas are very pretty, woodsy and green. The cost of housing is way way cheaper than Seattle, also prop tax. If you like sunshine, then you've got it made. Those areas of the city are full of transplants from all over the US - it certainly is not redneck, more like yuppie.
Not redneck, no, but definitely politically conservative. I have inlaws in those green leafy burbs, and the NASCAR/Republican/religious right trinity definitely has a place there.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:59 pm
Old Southern Belle

gemini is an unknown quantity at this point

The northern suburbs of ATL have some excellent schools. My children attended school there for 5 years. There is absolutely no need for them to go to private school. Those areas are very pretty, woodsy and green. The cost of housing is way way cheaper than Seattle, also prop tax. If you like sunshine, then you've got it made. Those areas of the city are full of transplants from all over the US - it certainly is not redneck, more like yuppie.
Totally agree with Mallory.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:41 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl
I like living in Atlanta...but the traffic, racism and religious crap pisses me off!

You and me both. Where are you in Atlanta?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:43 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
You and me both. Where are you in Atlanta?

Oh I remember, never mind :-)
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:54 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jholmes
Looking to get offer of a better job opportunity(higher position and 20% more in income) , but I need to consider many factors for my family?

Do you think it is a good move from Seattle to Atlanta? Comparing cost of living , crime rate, children education, weather etc.?

Anyone opinion is highly appreciated.
Try this tool to help:

http://www.bestplaces.net/City/

Enter the two cities and it gives you the comparison of demographics, weather, crime, etc
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

no, I will be with a media company. Is AT&T corporate located in Atlanta?
no

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jan 13th 2008 at 3:31 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
to follow up from my earlier post

if i was living in seattle i would probably move to atl

but

i would need to afford to put my kids in private school
i would need to work from home

cost of living and more sunshine would do it for me
Have you ever lived in Seattle?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:22 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Not redneck, no, but definitely politically conservative. I have inlaws in those green leafy burbs, and the NASCAR/Republican/religious right trinity definitely has a place there.
So what you are saying is "peeps who like NASCAR, vote Republican and go to church are bad people, and you wouldn't want to live around them?

Most of the people in the northern burbs of ATL play golf or tennis, they take their boats to Lake Lanier, they dine at the excellent restaurants in the area, they are involved in the excellent schools in the area, and shop at the great malls and stores that abound. Where we lived, most of the people were transplants from all over the country. The Catholic church I attended was modern, and full to overflowing with northern people.

I guess you have to live somewhere to know what it's really like.

Downside to ATL - traffic, hot in summer months, not near coast, and not near other large cities.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are saying is "peeps who like NASCAR, vote Republican and go to church are bad people, and you wouldn't want to live around them?
That's an excellent summation of my view

In fact, you had me at, 'Vote Republican'. It sugguests they support the war, think nothing is worse than paying taxes, don't believe in evolution (judging by the recent debates ), think torture is fine, think imposing MPG restrictions on cars is 'un-American', etc. So I would most certainly not want to be surrounded by people who think that way. And if they don't think that way, why the hell do they vote Republican?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:17 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

no, I will be with a media company. Is AT&T corporate located in Atlanta?
AT&T corporation is headquartered in San Antonio, TX. However they do have corporate offices countrywide in AT&T territory. Check the site.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:23 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
That's an excellent summation of my view

In fact, you had me at, 'Vote Republican'. It sugguests they support the war, think nothing is worse than paying taxes, don't believe in evolution (judging by the recent debates ), think torture is fine, think imposing MPG restrictions on cars is 'un-American', etc. So I would most certainly not want to be surrounded by people who think that way. And if they don't think that way, why the hell do they vote Republican?
Then why do you live in a state with a Republican governor?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:40 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Before Steerpike answers, I would like to say that Gov. Schwarzenegger is perhaps the most moderate of all Republicans out there. He doesn't kiss up to Bush and has actually publicly rebuked Bush for some of his policies including the re-evaluation of emission standards that would require car manufactures to come out with better vehicles with better mileage. Bush's administration was against this. As a registered Democrat I would have no problem voting for him regardless of his party affiliation. If you really want to get a good idea of how he is faring as a Governor, look at his approval ratings. Right now he's hovering at around 60% in a historically Democratic stronghold. Much better than the POTUS right now. Those ratings are actually in step with what Clinton received while he was in office, even during Monicagate.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Well, first, I live in San Francisco, which according to Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco#Government ) ...

"Following the arrival of writers and artists of the 1950s, who established the modern coffeehouse culture, and the social upheavals of the 1960s, San Francisco became one of the epicenters of liberal activism, with Democrats, Greens, and progressives dominating city politics. Indeed, San Francisco has not given the Republican candidate for president greater than 20 percent of the vote since 1988"

If you recall, your comment was "So what you are saying is "peeps who like NASCAR, vote Republican and go to church are bad people, and you wouldn't want to live around them? " - I most certainly DON'T live around them!

Now, as for our Guv - he ain't all that bad. As Ugacrew points out, he's not a Bush follower, and in addition to fighting for emissions standards, he's a strong supporter of immigration (he admits our economy would collapse if we actually kicked out all the illegals), and he was a supporter of the $3 billion stem-cell research bond that CA passed in response to Bush banning stem cell research. His wife is a Kennedy, too - so she obviously keeps him in check! The Republican party are scared to death of him as he represents so much of what they despise - and yet he's very popular here.

Check out this map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...percentage.JPG - and look at CA. see how the strong blue counties are on the coast, while the red counties are inland.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:14 pm
In the pink

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well, first, I live in San Francisco, which according to Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco#Government ) ...

"Following the arrival of writers and artists of the 1950s, who established the modern coffeehouse culture, and the social upheavals of the 1960s, San Francisco became one of the epicenters of liberal activism, with Democrats, Greens, and progressives dominating city politics. Indeed, San Francisco has not given the Republican candidate for president greater than 20 percent of the vote since 1988"

If you recall, your comment was "So what you are saying is "peeps who like NASCAR, vote Republican and go to church are bad people, and you wouldn't want to live around them? " - I most certainly DON'T live around them!

Now, as for our Guv - he ain't all that bad. As Ugacrew points out, he's not a Bush follower, and in addition to fighting for emissions standards, he's a strong supporter of immigration (he admits our economy would collapse if we actually kicked out all the illegals), and he was a supporter of the $3 billion stem-cell research bond that CA passed in response to Bush banning stem cell research. His wife is a Kennedy, too - so she obviously keeps him in check! The Republican party are scared to death of him as he represents so much of what they despise - and yet he's very popular here.

Check out this map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...percentage.JPG - and look at CA. see how the strong blue counties are on the coast, while the red counties are inland.
I'm not knocking the governator - I like him. I also like California very much. I don't watch Nascar, and I'm voting for Hillary. I just don't get people who can't live around people with views other than their own. Don't you like diversity in your life?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not knocking the governator - I like him. I also like California very much. I don't watch Nascar, and I'm voting for Hillary. I just don't get people who can't live around people with views other than their own. Don't you like diversity in your life?
I do like diversity, and I have it in my life. I do have one or two Republican friends and I enjoy debating with them. I even have one friend who tries to drag me to NASCAR races (and she's a Republican too!). But I would not want to be surrounded by them, and have their opinions and sentiments be the overriding message I hear every day.

What's interesting about SF is that it has possibly the highest house prices and the highest incomes in the nation. So you'd think people there would vote with their Pocket Book, and vote for Bush tax cuts, less government, etc - but no, they still overwhelmingly vote Democrat despite the very real impact on their incomes. That tells me they have conscience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.