British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Seattle to Atlanta? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/seattle-atlanta-504982/)

Jholmes Jan 9th 2008 7:44 pm

Seattle to Atlanta?

Looking to get offer of a better job opportunity(higher position and 20% more in income) , but I need to consider many factors for my family?

Do you think it is a good move from Seattle to Atlanta? Comparing cost of living , crime rate, children education, weather etc.?

Anyone opinion is highly appreciated.

farmerwife Jan 9th 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Seattle to Atlanta?

Originally Posted by Jholmes (Post 5765022)
Looking to get offer of a better job opportunity(higher position and 20% more in income) , but I need to consider many factors for my family?

Do you think it is a good move from Seattle to Atlanta? Comparing cost of living , crime rate, children education, weather etc.?

You will get to pay state taxes!

BritGuyTN Jan 10th 2008 12:09 am

more sunshine
more humidity
more heat
more traffic
cheaper cost of living
probably higher crime
good airport access
worse education

AmerLisa Jan 10th 2008 1:37 am

Oooooh we were almost in that position......you don't work for AT&T do you? :)

Jholmes Jan 10th 2008 5:18 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 5766256)
Oooooh we were almost in that position......you don't work for AT&T do you? :)

no, I will be with a media company. Is AT&T corporate located in Atlanta?

Jholmes Jan 10th 2008 5:20 am

I think the Crime rate and education will make us think twice.

snowbunny Jan 10th 2008 6:04 am

You'd also be moving from one of the more liberal parts of the country to one of the most conservative -- by which I mean religious right conservative.

Steerpike Jan 10th 2008 6:51 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5766831)
You'd also be moving from one of the more liberal parts of the country to one of the most conservative -- by which I mean religious right conservative.

Hear Hear! That could have an impact on your 'quality of life' unless you are a redneck.

And the average waist will be wider ... the diet in that part of the country is a world apart. I swear, I used to go out there for meetings, and they would bring in 'salad' - which consisted of fried chicken pieces on a bed of lettuce.

Some fun facts gleaned from the wikipedia pages on both cities:
==============
Population of Seattle >500k; Atlanta: >5m
% below povery line in Seattle: 11%; Atlanta: 23%

The city of Atlanta is the fastest growing city in the nation since 2000 by numerical increase.

Atlanta is also home to the fastest growing millionaire population in the United States. The number of households in Atlanta with $1 million or more in investable assets, not including primary residence and consumable goods, will increase 69% through 2011, to approximately 103,000 households

Atlanta ranks third in the number of Fortune 500 companies headquartered within city boundaries, behind New York City and Houston

Demographics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta...a#Demographics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Demographics
Economy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta,_Georgia#Economy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Economy
===================

Regarding taxes - note that, while Washington state does not have personal income tax, it's pretty aggressive about getting taxes from property owners, and through sales tax. I don't know how it compares to Atlanta.

another bloody yank Jan 10th 2008 11:40 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5766831)

I still wouldn't do it. It just gets too damn hot in ATL and Seattle is close to some very nice places.

Steerpike Jan 10th 2008 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5768045)
I still wouldn't do it. It just gets too damn hot in ATL and Seattle is close to some very nice places.

"I still wouldn't do it" suggests there is something GOOD about ATL being conservative ...

It's the biggest single reason NOT to move to the place!

I have another memory of being in a meeting in ATL ... a question came up in a meeting, and one woman went silent before answering ... finally she answered. When asked, she said, "I had to consult God before giving an answer". True story!

another bloody yank Jan 10th 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 5769318)
"I still wouldn't do it" suggests there is something GOOD about ATL being conservative ...

It's the biggest single reason NOT to move to the place!

I have another memory of being in a meeting in ATL ... a question came up in a meeting, and one woman went silent before answering ... finally she answered. When asked, she said, "I had to consult God before giving an answer". True story!

;):lol:

Bob Jan 10th 2008 5:29 pm

If you've got family, lot will depend on visa, such as L1 would allow the other half to work, but not the kids, getting an H1 wouldn't allow them to work at all...

miss scouse atl Jan 10th 2008 5:33 pm

I like living in Atlanta...but the traffic, racism and religious crap pisses me off!

BritGuyTN Jan 10th 2008 6:22 pm

to follow up from my earlier post

if i was living in seattle i would probably move to atl

but

i would need to afford to put my kids in private school
i would need to work from home

cost of living and more sunshine would do it for me

Mallory Jan 10th 2008 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5769636)
to follow up from my earlier post

if i was living in seattle i would probably move to atl

but

i would need to afford to put my kids in private school
i would need to work from home

cost of living and more sunshine would do it for me

The northern suburbs of ATL have some excellent schools. My children attended school there for 5 years. There is absolutely no need for them to go to private school. Those areas are very pretty, woodsy and green. The cost of housing is way way cheaper than Seattle, also prop tax. If you like sunshine, then you've got it made. Those areas of the city are full of transplants from all over the US - it certainly is not redneck, more like yuppie.