British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   season's greetings! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/seasons-greetings-244404/)

Brit'n'TX Jul 26th 2004 3:26 pm

season's greetings!

OK ... I know Christmas comes earlier each year in the shops, but before the end of July?!!

We went shopping on Saturday and visited a store called Hobby Lobby (don't know whether this is just a Texas store or in other states as well) - as we walked in I saw a halloween display and told Cheryl I couldn't believe my eyes when, on turning the corner I came face to face with their entire range of Christmas stuff - trees, lights, ornaments, the lot!

Blooming unbelievable! I fully intend now to boycott Christmas and come to work on the 25th! NOT!

Which brings to mind a subject for another thread - I can't believe the incredibly small amount of time off we get in Texas and the draconian laws (or lack thereof) to protect employees rights ...

any comments?

NC Penguin Jul 26th 2004 3:42 pm

In the weekend's newspapers I did see adverts for "Christmas in July" sales but I've never been to one so I don't know if this means the vendor is selling Christmas related stuff...

AmerLisa Jul 26th 2004 3:49 pm

Re: season's greetings!

Originally posted by Brit'n'TX
OK ... I know Christmas comes earlier each year in the shops, but before the end of July?!!

We went shopping on Saturday and visited a store called Hobby Lobby (don't know whether this is just a Texas store or in other states as well) - as we walked in I saw a halloween display and told Cheryl I couldn't believe my eyes when, on turning the corner I came face to face with their entire range of Christmas stuff - trees, lights, ornaments, the lot!

Blooming unbelievable! I fully intend now to boycott Christmas and come to work on the 25th! NOT!

Which brings to mind a subject for another thread - I can't believe the incredibly small amount of time off we get in Texas and the draconian laws (or lack thereof) to protect employees rights ...

any comments?
I think a lot of people start making Christmas gifts, decorations,etc early. I would imagine that since the name of this store is HobbyLobby that its a craft store? That would probably account for you seeing Halloween and Christmas things. I know Christmas advertising starts too eary as well. I remember when we lived in the UK and would see those advertisements for the Christmas party pack stuff. Can't remember the name of the company, but it would be right after Christmas, in January. January isn't typically a good month for me, and to hear any kind of Christmas advertisment is enough to make me run and hide! :scared:

tinaflorida Jul 26th 2004 5:53 pm

The Christmas/holiday season is an absolute farce in the US!

ladyofthelake Jul 26th 2004 5:58 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
In the weekend's newspapers I did see adverts for "Christmas in July" sales but I've never been to one so I don't know if this means the vendor is selling Christmas related stuff...
No chance. I heard a Car Showroom advertising their Christmas in July sale on the radio. What does buying a car have to do with Christmas?

Ash UK/US Jul 26th 2004 6:06 pm

any comments?
Hobby Loby is a nation wide chain... they did the same thing last year with the Christmas stuff ... they put all their celebration stuff out very early valentine, easter, halloween etc products all go out months before... great store though.
They are also starting to do the same kinda thing in England... a local craft store my mum uses have their stuff out months and months before. Shopping channels like ideal world and QVC in the UK have Christmas in July too where they sell a lot of Christmas decorations/lights.

fatbrit Jul 26th 2004 6:27 pm

The brainless marketing crap over here used to drive me nuts; now I think I’m just resigned to it. The American ability to turn any single event, however sick or tragic, into a marketing opportunity is unparalleled. And it isn’t just the regular annual occasions that generate it. Just look at some of the mindless drivel they produced after 9-11 to persuade you, for example, to buy a new car in the name of patriotism and fighting terrorism. Or even to vote for Dubya!

With very few exceptions, it is also the simplistic, in-your-face, hit-them-over-the-head approach that really grates on me. Give me the art, thought and inspiration of a clever Benetton or Guinness marketing campaign any day.

scrubbedexpat097 Jul 26th 2004 7:03 pm

any comments?

I guess as we have been here since the 80's we have become acustomed to the holiday/vacation allowances. It didnt seem so bad to us even from the start as we were self employed back in England and any time off was without pay so we found it quite a novelty to actually be paid to be off work! Both hubby and I always saved either some vacation time or "comp" time for the Christmas period and we often used to volunteer to work at Thanksgiving just so we could be off for "Boxing Day". Now it doesnt really bother us anymore, in fact I enjoy the four day Thanksgiving break more than Christmas as it is more relaxing (no rushing around buying last minute gifts etc) and living on the Gulf Coast it always seems to be the ideal time to spend on the beach and fish!

NC Penguin Jul 26th 2004 7:37 pm

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
No chance. I heard a Car Showroom advertising their Christmas in July sale on the radio. What does buying a car have to do with Christmas?
Just thinking "out of the box" but maybe car dealers are pushing cars as suitable Christmas presents. I'd like to see one under the Christmas tree!

effi Jul 26th 2004 10:47 pm

any comments?
What they do is sell off last years stuff to make way for this years stuff. Hey, you can get some great bargains, don't knock it. Like another poster said, a lot of people over here make a lot of Xmas stuff, essentially they are making it all year.

Pimpbot Jul 26th 2004 11:31 pm

Every time we visit San Francisco and walk through Pier 39, I always feel sorry for those poor sod's who work in the Christmas store. Christmas all year round. Argh!!!!

ScousePete Jul 26th 2004 11:41 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Every time we visit San Francisco and walk through Pier 39, I always feel sorry for those poor sod's who work in the Christmas store. Christmas all year round. Argh!!!!
But do they get the 25th off? :)