Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scrap elementary school homework

Wikiposts

Scrap elementary school homework

Old Sep 21st 2006, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

valscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrap elementary school homework

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Pleasingly I was reading the other day about a recent UK poll where something like 90% of the British (English and Welsh) public would oppose any move to ban smacking.
Talked to my brother about this cos you can't do it in Scotland. Solution: take the offender to the border, cross over and tan their arse. Never hit my kids wanted too at times
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by valscot
Talked to my brother about this cos you can't do it in Scotland. Solution: take the offender to the border, cross over and tan their arse. Never hit my kids wanted too at times
Thats correct. I've only ever once smacked ours (and I felt like shit afterwards) ...since then the threat of it possibly happening again has been enough at times.

I remember when I was 16 thinking I new it all big hard kid on the block etc ...came home one evening and gave my dad a load of grief. His very words were "Think you're big enough?" I foolishly said yes...had the bruises for about a week or so afterwards.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:51 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
What about making learning and school fun again? A little homework is good but not 2-3 hours a day everyday on top of NO RECESS at all...which is how our daughters school (and all others around here) operates.
That's what it was like in NJ. The amount of homework given to the kids was rediculous and my American neighbours seemed to think it was normal! Then I discovered that the majority of the mothers did the homework for the child - what's the point in that

I love the way our school district does it and I get the impression that the homework amounts are set by NYstate. The students get an agenda each year and at the front of the agenda are all the guidelines for homework. It specifically puts the control in the parents hands by stating that if your child has worked for the time alloted for homework for that grade, and you believe that the child has tried and not finished the set homework, do not continue any longer and put a note in the agenda stating as such. I have only ever had to do this once (I wasn't the only parent as well) and the load of homework given was dropped considerably. More often than not the amount given is a lot less than the maximum allowed and our schools are blue ribbon schools so having such regulations over homework has no effect on the quality of teaching and education.

Kids are kids here and are always outside playing. It is just like the neighbourhood I grew up in in the UK but I know this isn't the case everywhere. When we were in NJ there were no children outside during the school year. that is just sad
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ben
That's what it was like in NJ. The amount of homework given to the kids was rediculous and my American neighbours seemed to think it was normal! Then I discovered that the majority of the mothers did the homework for the child - what's the point in that

I love the way our school district does it and I get the impression that the homework amounts are set by NYstate. The students get an agenda each year and at the front of the agenda are all the guidelines for homework. It specifically puts the control in the parents hands by stating that if your child has worked for the time alloted for homework for that grade, and you believe that the child has tried and not finished the set homework, do not continue any longer and put a note in the agenda stating as such. I have only ever had to do this once (I wasn't the only parent as well) and the load of homework given was dropped considerably. More often than not the amount given is a lot less than the maximum allowed and our schools are blue ribbon schools so having such regulations over homework has no effect on the quality of teaching and education.

Kids are kids here and are always outside playing. It is just like the neighbourhood I grew up in in the UK but I know this isn't the case everywhere. When we were in NJ there were no children outside during the school year. that is just sad
Good for your kids...at least somewhere here they are having "real" childhoods still.

And this (like a lot of things) seems to be the problem here. There is no NATIONAL standard to anything much. Everything is left to state and county to decide. I realise thats part of the governing mandate to make Federal Govt minimal in everyday life but seriously it just seems to create a lottery for everything.

12 weeks of summer vacation and barely another child was insight here let alone any playing outside. Back home the streets would be full of kids playing footy, running round, on bikes and having a ball. Here they were all at summer camps (read bible school) or home alone and not allowed out to play.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Sep 22nd 2006 at 12:28 am.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:40 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I'm all for scraping homework!!! It's a big waste of time, like elementary school kids don't spend enough time at school, nagging my kids about their homework is the biggest pain in my A$$ right now.....