Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scouts reaffirm anti-gay policy

Wikiposts

Scouts reaffirm anti-gay policy

Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scouts reaffirm anti-gay policy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18879828

I am very torn on this issue, I was a scout and I know they provide great opportunities and resources for kids; but so do raving Jesus camps.

Do the positive elements out balance the excluding of children who are atheists or gay?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scouts reaffirm anti-gay policy

It is a little messed up...don't quite see why they have a problem with it, sure they started out as a religious thing, but it doesn't seem like the religious thing is quite as strong these days.

Chik-Fil-A, also in the news, well the president of the company, going into a major rant as well.

Very disturbing.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18879828

Do the positive elements out balance the excluding of children who are atheists or gay?
Not for me they don't, no. I've always taught my son to be tolerant of religions and the non-religious alike, unless anyone is getting hurt. I've also taught him that the sexual spectrum is wide and varied and none of it is either wrong, unnatural, or anything anyone can or should do anything about, unless anyone is getting hurt. So I couldn't sign him up for an organization that does not subscribe to that view, and when push came to shove at some Scout meeting, what would he have done? Stayed quiet, when I have taught him that he should speak up for people and fair treatment?

Signed,

A non-scouting parent
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It is a little messed up...don't quite see why they have a problem with it, sure they started out as a religious thing, but it doesn't seem like the religious thing is quite as strong these days.
Come on, this is the US we are talking about - the "religious thing" always seems to be there somewhere ...

Anyway, as a gay atheist, I think that the Boy Scouts of America are a private organization and have a perfect right to exclude gays, atheists, women and anyone else that they don't want to have as member - I really couldn't care less about them or what they do.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Come on, this is the US we are talking about - the "religious thing" always seems to be there somewhere ...

Anyway, as a gay atheist, I think that the Boy Scouts of America are a private organization and have a perfect right to exclude gays, atheists, women and anyone else that they don't want to have as member - I really couldn't care less about them or what they do.
I think I do care if an organization is teaching homophobia, private or not. They may have a legal right to their opinions and also to voice them. But I do care, and I wouldn't send my child there. At the end of the day, if the tolerant and educated outnumber the intolerant and ill-educated, customers for organizations with such views as these might just fade away, and then before you know it you have effected a change in society.

All sorts of repulsive behaviour that used to be tolerated no longer is - not by law, but by social standards. I view that as a plus, so yes, I care. It matters, even if it does not affect you as an individual.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jul 17th 2012 at 3:36 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I think I do care if an organization is teaching homophobia, private or not. They may have a legal right to their opinions and also to voice them. But I do care, and I wouldn't send my child there. At the end of the day, if the tolerant and educated outnumber the intolerant and ill-educated, customers for organizations with such views as these might just fade away, and then before you know it you have effected a change in society.

All sorts of repulsive behaviour that used to be tolerated no longer is - not by law, but by social standards. I view that as a plus, so yes, I care. It matters, even if it does not affect you as an individual.
Yes, this is a bit different than Chik-Fil-A, Curves and Michaels, because this is aimed at kids.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, this is a bit different than Chik-Fil-A, Curves and Michaels, because this is aimed at kids.
I'm still not sure how fried chicken contributes to the greater glory of god, but anyway the Scouts are a teaching organization and I think that makes a difference.

I presume you can still eat the nasty chicken, even if you are not a Southern Baptist - you just can't buy it on Christmas Day. It matters less, I think, though it's a bit odd..
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I do care if an organization is teaching homophobia, private or not. They may have a legal right to their opinions and also to voice them.
Well at least they are open about it so I know exactly where they stand.

But I do care, and I wouldn't send my child there.
... and neither would I ...

At the end of the day, if the tolerant and educated outnumber the intolerant and ill-educated, customers for organizations with such views as these might just fade away, and then before you know it you have effected a change in society.
Absolutely, and that is precisely what I hope will happen - that they will become increasingly isolated and ignored and will eventually disappear from view.

The overall state of the society that we live in affects all of us - and I *do* care about that - but, to be honest, the Boy Scouts of America are really low on the list of things that I am concerned about - I can't boycott them by not sending my kids there because I don't have any to not send - I can't withhold donations from the because I have never given them and I just don't think that they are worth bothering with - it's the attitudes of the parents that you have to change - do that any the Boy Scouts of America will either drag themselves into the 21st century or become an anachronism and eventually die out.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
[url]Do the positive elements out balance the excluding of children who are atheists or gay?
No.

Maybe they should allow them in, but then have a badge they can earn for it like they do with cooking.
To keep things equal (very important apparently), there could be an opt-out badge the "normal" people could earn for intolerance.

Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:53 pm

The overall state of the society that we live in affects all of us - and I *do* care about that - but, to be honest, the Boy Scouts of America are really low on the list of things that I am concerned about - I can't boycott them by not sending my kids there because I don't have any to not send - I can't withhold donations from the because I have never given them and I just don't think that they are worth bothering with - it's the attitudes of the parents that you have to change - do that any the Boy Scouts of America will either drag themselves into the 21st century or become an anachronism and eventually die out.
Agreed. I don't really worry about the Boy Scouts, except when they were pitching themselves to my son at his school.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:14 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

How can the decision be "unanimous" when two members of the 11-member board have revealed they would support a change??
Jim Turley, chairman and chief executive of consulting firm Ernst and Young, and Randall Stephenson, head of the US telecoms company AT&T, were two of the organisation's board members who said they would support a change in policy.
Apparently it'll take a bit longer for the Boy Scouts leadership to become as enlightened as that of the USA Girl Scouts & Campfire Girls, which have pledged to accept gays & lesbians . . . .
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:17 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Can men be allowed to watch girl scouts, alone, in the woods?

Pete
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Can men be allowed to watch girl scouts, alone, in the woods?

Pete
When you say "watch", do you mean "take care of"?

I must say I thought Girl Scout leaders were all women - that that was a good part of the point. On the other hand, plenty of men in positions of leadership and authority over boys' groups have abused the boys in their charge, so I'm not sure what difference it makes.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

From what I've seen, the US Scouts are far more religious than their UK counterparts. Still (and this will come as a shock to some), religious doesn't have to mean bigoted.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Not for me they don't, no. I've always taught my son to be tolerant of religions and the non-religious alike, unless anyone is getting hurt. I've also taught him that the sexual spectrum is wide and varied and none of it is either wrong, unnatural, or anything anyone can or should do anything about, unless anyone is getting hurt. So I couldn't sign him up for an organization that does not subscribe to that view, and when push came to shove at some Scout meeting, what would he have done? Stayed quiet, when I have taught him that he should speak up for people and fair treatment?

Signed,

A non-scouting parent
Lion in the Winter, thats the problem I'm having at the moment.

My son aged 11 has just this month asked if he could join the scouts. I saw this on the news this morning and was horrified. I have taught my son the exact same values as yourself. I have asked with that in mind would he still want to join. He doesn't want to join, but I could still see the disappointment on his face

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.