Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scottish vs American Kilts

Scottish vs American Kilts

Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish vs American Kilts

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My best friend's Sister in Law (His Wife's sister) is marrying an Englishman who hails from a town right on the border with Scotland (Carlisle). In fact, Hadrian's wall runs along one side of his family's farm. At least I think that's what he said. Anyway, the wedding is shaping up to be a pretty big deal, renting a castle somewhere in Scotland flying guests over from the US etc... The one sticking point is the USC Bride to Be is refusing the Grooms request to wear his kilt. Apparantly the colors clash with the "wedding palette". Last I heard, the groom has conceded and will wear a tux*. On the plus side, the weather in Scotland in late October should be nice for a wedding. Should make a nice change from ATL where they live here in the States.

Cue "cracking whip" sound effect.
Originally Posted by AmerLisa
OMG, how can you have a wedding in a castle (especially in Scotland) and not be in a kilt? Sacrilege!

We were married in a castle in Scotland and my husband wore a kilt and so did his best man.
Totally agree!! How can you not allow the men to wear kilts in a Scottish castle!! My OH wore his (see pic on previous page) and I loved it!

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Ya think? If you like grey skies, Arctic temperatures and horizontal rain it'll be just fine
I don't know..I didn't find the weather to be that cold in October. Cloudy & rainy, aye, but not really cold (but I imagine that may depend on how far north one is!).
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:26 am
Just Joined

jillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nice

Wow everyone- been offline a few days and amazed by the response. Spoke to my dad back in Paisley and he said the one round from him does worldwide stuff (and he offered to go in and check its ok before shipped over etc) but any thoughts on it- http://www.kiltmakers.com they are called Houstons.

Said to him about Hector Russell cos thats the name I know but he said its more of a tourist shop as its on Buchanan street and full of Americans

haha after all of this the guy better bloody get one!!!! Think he will be popping by in next few days so I will let him know- hopefully the convo wasn't just the product of too many vinos

Also thoughts on how long it takes to make and send over?

Thanks again everyone- glad many people agree with me on the Scottish argument

Jill
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

There's a place in Upstate New York (Highland) called The Kiltmakers Apprentice, that may be worth a look.
I'd worry about doing a mail order thing without being properly measured and the ensuing difficulty if anything doesn't fit properly.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
There's a certain 'tude that goes with wearing any kind of kilt, and some of the guys in those photos definitely ain't got it.
heheheh.. we had 2 brothers living across the street, true geeks the both of them, with a full wardrobe of UtiliKilts. We fondly call them the UtiliCult.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
heheheh.. we had 2 brothers living across the street, true geeks the both of them, with a full wardrobe of UtiliKilts. We fondly call them the UtiliCult.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

grenfellruth is an unknown quantity at this point

my Husband (of one month ) got a kilt for our wedding to change into after the ceremony. We got it from atlanta kilts in the us. pretty reasonable and they do outfit packages including shoes socks..everything really. I thought it might not be a good quality but it was 100% wool and couldn't tell the difference between his and the mens from my family

http://www.atlantakilts.com/
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grenfellruth
my Husband (of one month ) got a kilt for our wedding to change into after the ceremony. We got it from atlanta kilts in the us. pretty reasonable and they do outfit packages including shoes socks..everything really. I thought it might not be a good quality but it was 100% wool and couldn't tell the difference between his and the mens from my family

http://www.atlantakilts.com/

Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
She probably didn't want the audience members to swoon over his sexy legs or huge... um, sporrin! And of course, after the ceremony, she needed to discover if um... there's any truth to the stories!

Ian
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

PaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant future

Most of the kilts I see in the US are way too short.

As I understand it, a kilt should be long enough that you can kneel on the edge when you kneel down.

I lived in the Scottish Highlands for several years, and all the kilts I saw were that way.

LOL at the 1/300th Scots thing. I also get a kick out of the yanks who claim to be 'Scotch'.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:22 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulK
As I understand it, a kilt should be long enough that you can kneel on the edge when you kneel down.
The modern way is to flash a wee bit of leg:

The Kilt is worn with the pleats to the back, and should sit well up on the body – approximately 2" above the waist. The bottom of the kilt should be approximately at the top to middle of the knee cap, and should NOT be touching the ground if kneeling (this is the old fashioned Regimental method).
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a wedding where it transpired that the brother of the grooms kilt was just a teeny tiny bit too short. There are a few official wedding photos where the men in kilts are on one knee in photos. Granny was looking through the wedding album and started giggling. She said look there's little Alex. No one thought anything of it as he is named after his dad but everyone usually called him 'young Alex'. However she kept laughing and eventually someone else looked at what she was pointing at. Sure enough there was young Alex and there was 'little Alex' having a little peek out too!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:43 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I want a Utilikilt, a 100% American kilt and nowt to do with Scotland
http://www.utilikilts.com/
but they are more for day to day than weddings.
Locally made, and very popular here: one of my team members wears one occasionally. He rides the ferry from Bainbridge, and says that he loves the breeze from the Sounds caressing his nads on a warm summer day...
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:48 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
especially as they are Germans
When I was working for a biotech company in Slough, a Canadian guy joined us from EMBL in Heidelberg. I asked him why on earth he why would move from Heidelberg to Slough, and he said that his wife couldn't stand living next door to some Nazis. I asked him where he moved to the in the UK. His answer? "Windsor"!!!!!