British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scottish vs American Kilts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scottish-vs-american-kilts-683362/)

jillmurray Aug 30th 2010 2:58 pm

Scottish vs American Kilts

Hey, just wondering your views on this. My friend that I am staying with in NY had a visitor last night and we got talking and he was saying how he has some Scottish in his blood (about 1/300th by the sound of it ;) )and that he fancies getting a kilt made for an upcoming wedding. He asked if he should get one from a place in the US or order one from Scotland. Being a true Scots women I of course said to get one from the bonnie wee country so its "real"- though I have a feeling I may be shot down in flames for that one. Just wondering what you thoughts are on this? Also if you can recommend a good Scottish place that does deliveries (I think I persuaded him) ?

Let the burning me at the stake commence

Jill

AmerLisa Aug 30th 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Scottish vs American Kilts

My husband would like a kilt (he is the real McCoy;):D) But I'm sure he'd only consider going home to get a kilt made and not getting one here....

ChocolateBabz Aug 30th 2010 3:30 pm

Hubby had his made at a place in Kirkcaldy while we were still in the UK - their website is heritageofscotland.com and it looks like they will ship. He was really pleased with it - I will try to find a decent picture to post to show your friend.

ian-mstm Aug 30th 2010 5:51 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jillmurray (Post 8813595)
He asked if he should get one from a place in the US or order one from Scotland.

While US-made kilts may look like traditional Scottish kilts... they just aren't the same! :) Be prepared to pay good money though... they're not cheap. Sheila and I got married with me in my family's kilt (... as did my older brother, and our father before us)!

Ian

Bluegrass Lass Aug 30th 2010 6:00 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8814015)
While US-made kilts may look like traditional Scottish kilts... they just aren't the same! :) Be prepared to pay good money though... they're not cheap. Sheila and I got married with me in my family's kilt (... as did my older brother, and our father before us)!

Ian

Not enough leg showing Ian. ;) :p

My OH had his made by a seamstress. She was somewhere in the Highlands (couldn't tell you where). But he rented his black jacket and his shoes from an internet store..and they also did kilts IIRC.

I think there is a big difference in the weight of fabric as well as how much fabric is actually used. A true Scots kilt should be very heavy, and some of the ones I've seen here don't have that weight.

jackattack Aug 30th 2010 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by jillmurray (Post 8813595)
Hey, just wondering your views on this. My friend that I am staying with in NY had a visitor last night and we got talking and he was saying how he has some Scottish in his blood (about 1/300th by the sound of it ;) )and that he fancies getting a kilt made for an upcoming wedding. He asked if he should get one from a place in the US or order one from Scotland. Being a true Scots women I of course said to get one from the bonnie wee country so its "real"- though I have a feeling I may be shot down in flames for that one. Just wondering what you thoughts are on this? Also if you can recommend a good Scottish place that does deliveries (I think I persuaded him) ?

Let the burning me at the stake commence

Jill

A good friend of mine also claims some Scottish ancestry (I suspect it is a similar fraction to your friend's), and at his wedding, he and all the groomsmen wore kilts. It was quite funny to see this wedding up in Bellingham, WA with a ton of guys in kilts and no Scottish accents anywhere. Apparently nobody other than myself found it odd.

Anyway, the guys all rented their kilts. I can't help with where they rented them since it was about 5 years ago and I wasn't organising it. But just letting you know that if your friend doesn't want the expense of purchasing, then it is possible to rent them from some wedding outfitters.

SarahG Aug 30th 2010 6:12 pm

My little brother is getting married next Spring in Edinburgh and we are flying over for it. My OH wore a kilt when we got married, I am the Scottish native out of the 2 of us, and bought one of his own a few years later. My son will be wearing a kilt when we go to the wedding and I have been debating trying to get one here (rental of course) or sending sons measurements to my mum and getting her to get one. However, I am sure if I left it until we were in Edinburgh I would not have much problem getting one with only days to go until the wedding. Plus my family have a lot of tartans to choose from. The Queen even uses one! If there is one thing Edinburgh has a lot of it is kilt places! :thumbsup:

If you want to buy a kilt I would try to get it from Scotland but they are heavy so shipping might cost a bit. I brought OH kilt over with me as he had already brought the shirt, shoes and sporran when he came over.

ian-mstm Aug 30th 2010 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 8814032)
A true Scots kilt should be very heavy, and some of the ones I've seen here don't have that weight.

Aye - 8 yards of material for a proper kilt. You can find 5 yard kilts which are less expensive but, IMHO, they just don't hang properly.

Ian

Thydney Aug 30th 2010 6:16 pm

OMG a cross dressing thread:ohmy:

Englishtart Aug 30th 2010 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 8814083)

:lol: Cute pics though!:thumbup:

Englishmum Aug 31st 2010 1:27 am

When my half-English/half-Welsh cousin got married in Saundersfoot, Wales a couple of years ago he wore a Welsh kilt (which I didn't know existed) and the tartan was navy blue and black. I don't know if there are/were any such things as 'clans' in Wales compared to Scotland which would denote the pattern and colours of the tartan.

He did look very smart, but he likes dressing up anyway as he does a lot of amateur dramatics (and one of his Summer jobs as a student was to dress up in a Red Dragon outfit at a caravan park's clubhouse...:lol:)

I once looked up my (maiden) surname in a tartan shop in Scotland and apparently the tartan I would need to wear would be the Buchanan one (but I didn't like it that much!)

Sally Redux Aug 31st 2010 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8814251)
:lol: Cute pics though!:thumbup:

:tounge_smile:

scrubbedexpat097 Aug 31st 2010 1:57 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8814015)

Ian

Very nice, but did you mean it was the same kilt and you passed it on to each other. That makes it a bit like the brides mother passing her wedding dress down to her daughters...great idea!

CelticRover Aug 31st 2010 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 8814083)

There you go again, confusing it with the English kilt FFS.:rolleyes:

http://www.skilt.co.uk/S-kilt-ClassicStGeorge.htm

kimilseung Aug 31st 2010 2:07 am

I want a Utilikilt, a 100% American kilt and nowt to do with Scotland
http://www.utilikilts.com/
but they are more for day to day than weddings.