Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scottish moving to Houston, Texas (baby!)

Scottish moving to Houston, Texas (baby!)

Old Aug 30th 2016, 8:28 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish moving to Houston, Texas (baby!)

Originally Posted by wheldo View Post
i like Jemm shall be relocating to houston between now and Christmas! (Scottish too),
24 years of age and will be working on the east side of the city (richmond Ave).

What areas should i realistically look at living within a say 40 minute commute?
Websites do say a commute time but unsure how accurate these things are!
You will be working within spitting distance of my hubby's work in Westchase. We live in East Pearland which he does in 40 minutes most mornings but he does leave early for an early start and leave work early 4.00pm ish. The good news is that the Beltway on the South is in the process of being widened and when that is done it *should* make it quicker. His colleagues live anywhere from Clear Lake (nightmare commute) to Katy (sorry I wouldn't do an I-10 commute for all the tea in China), so they really are all over. When kiddo heads off to college we will probably downsize and I quite fancy Sugarland. Cinco Ranch or Lakes on Eldridge maybe if you want to deal with the Westpark Tollway. Traffic is what it is and what it is isn't pretty during rush hour but he'd still take it over the A90
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:03 am
Just Joined

wheldo is an unknown quantity at this point

Sugar land is somewhere we keep getting recommended,
but thanks everyone for your Advice.

further Advice for those with Relocation packages, ive been offered the job but they are compiling a relocation package to offer me this week.

what kind of things am i allowed to ask for?
any examples of what partners or yourselves were offered when coming out.
(not looking for financials just things like car moving stuff etc)
Old Aug 31st 2016, 12:19 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

You can and should ask for everything, what's the worst that can happen - they'll say No?

Hubby had a company car in UK but the US side don't have them so he got his salary bumped to compensate.

Paid flights back to UK for first 3 years.

6 months accom and bills until we were settled. Car Hire for a month.

$3,000 white goods allowance - to replace electrical stuff that would no longer work.

Tax return prep first and last year.

Actual relocation costs - shipping, flights, hotels, etc.

Costs for reapplying for Visa's and Green Card applications.

Costs associated with selling our UK home - it wasn't in the contract but he negotiated a 'sign on' bonus which more than covered this. His main objective was that we would not be out any money to make the move and I think we actually came out on top.

It's equally important how these things are paid - some of it was simple expenses - others were added to his paycheck in which case they were 'grossed up' to account for tax.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

jemmlove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
You can and should ask for everything, what's the worst that can happen - they'll say No?

Hubby had a company car in UK but the US side don't have them so he got his salary bumped to compensate.

Paid flights back to UK for first 3 years.

6 months accom and bills until we were settled. Car Hire for a month.

$3,000 white goods allowance - to replace electrical stuff that would no longer work.

Tax return prep first and last year.

Actual relocation costs - shipping, flights, hotels, etc.

Costs for reapplying for Visa's and Green Card applications.

Costs associated with selling our UK home - it wasn't in the contract but he negotiated a 'sign on' bonus which more than covered this. His main objective was that we would not be out any money to make the move and I think we actually came out on top.

It's equally important how these things are paid - some of it was simple expenses - others were added to his paycheck in which case they were 'grossed up' to account for tax.
That's a great package!

I agree, ask for EVERYTHING. They didn't offer hubby accommodation nor transportation first time round and since we have been living in ME for past 5 years that is pretty standard so we asked for that and got it, in the form of, company car and accommodation allowance added to salary. We asked for extra salary amount as well to compensate for the steep tax rates!! Again being in ME we have not paid tax for so long! All they can do is say no
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

Good tips, I'm moving to Houston (north, Spring/Woodlands most likely) soon and am angling for an internal transfer with work. Although as I'm getting a K1 visa (US spouse) I'll also have a few months of unpaid leave while my employment authorisation is processed.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugilation View Post
Good tips, I'm moving to Houston (north, Spring/Woodlands most likely) soon and am angling for an internal transfer with work. Although as I'm getting a K1 visa (US spouse) I'll also have a few months of unpaid leave while my employment authorisation is processed.
You could ask them for an intra-company transfer on an L1-A or L1-B, if you fit the requirements and they value you enough. The L1 is much quicker to process than K1, and you could work immediately. This is essentially what I did, basically, "I'm moving to the US. Would you like me to keep working for you?"