British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scots on TV, here! Really..!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scots-tv-here-really-708384/)

SDDep Mar 8th 2011 3:25 am

Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 
Really,
I'm watching Fox Soccer Report, all about the Man United Thrashing (whoop whoop) and there's a Scotsman helping out the clueless female presenter.

I can't understand a word of it..its not fair, I'm almost waiting for the poor lassie to decipher for me..it would go something like this:

Oh really Jock, so what you said was "I'd love a cup of tea right now, and the game wasn't bad, even if you do feel sorry for poor old Sir Alec" was that it? or anything else to add to that barely intelligible garble you just mouthed?

So no offense to those of you from north of the border, and most of the time I can translate Jockanese without assistance, but this guy must be from that village on "take the high road" or something...and do Fox seriously think any Americans can understand him?

Minor rant over...apologies all around to all the clans...

md95065 Mar 8th 2011 4:00 am

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 9224835)
...and do Fox seriously think any Americans can understand him?

Does it really matter?

When I hear US commentators describing American football the words sound like English but I have absolutely no idea what it is that they are saying ... :(

SDDep Mar 8th 2011 4:14 am

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9224874)
Does it really matter?

When I hear US commentators describing American football the words sound like English but I have absolutely know idea what it is that they are saying ... :(

I was just throwing the yanks a bone, no it doesn't matter:) matters to me though!

Tarkak9 Mar 8th 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 
You both sure the commentators wasn't Charlie Sheen in disguise?? He's been on the tele all over the place.....

ChocolateBabz Mar 8th 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 
Yer lucky i've haud ma pancakes this mornin laddie or I'd be after ye :sneaky:

Brat1 Mar 8th 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 
A wis jist thinking that the americans watchin wouldnae understaun a word o it so you're probably right ya ken, but then again, the numer o times those folks in good ole England cannae understaun me either, even though we speak the same bloody language - YA KEN!!!!!! :D:D

Brat1 Mar 8th 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 
In fact, try this:

"See you. You've enough paste oan yer face as wid make a pile o' pancakes!"
"Aye, an you've enough fat oan yir erse tae fry them in!!!"

Cummoangetaff!!!!

Out a book that my mum sent me with all glaswegian, and you're right, my neighbours haven't a clue!! It puzzles me how I can understand people from Liverpool, Newcastle, Devon, Aberdeen, anywhere in fact, but no-one seems to be able to understand good old Glaswegian - I don't get it, there must be a medical term for it :D

Bluegrass Lass Mar 8th 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9225937)
In fact, try this:

"See you. You've enough paste oan yer face as wid make a pile o' pancakes!"
"Aye, an you've enough fat oan yir erse tae fry them in!!!"

Cummoangetaff!!!!

Out a book that my mum sent me with all glaswegian, and you're right, my neighbours haven't a clue!! It puzzles me how I can understand people from Liverpool, Newcastle, Devon, Aberdeen, anywhere in fact, but no-one seems to be able to understand good old Glaswegian - I don't get it, there must be a medical term for it :D

I understood Weegians after I lived there a few weeks. At first all I could do was nod and smile cuz I didn't have a clue, but then something in my brain clicked and I knew what they were saying. Could I do that now, 7 years later? I have no idea!

Brat1 Mar 8th 2011 4:06 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 9225987)
I understood Weegians after I lived there a few weeks. At first all I could do was nod and smile cuz I didn't have a clue, but then something in my brain clicked and I knew what they were saying. Could I do that now, 7 years later? I have no idea!

I'm sure you could, my neighbours understand me perfectly now and I don't have to slow down, unless I use the odd slang word, where they go "what??" They're even picking up some of our lingo and are describing things as "wee" this and "wee" that, so funny!!

ChocolateBabz Mar 8th 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9225995)
I'm sure you could, my neighbours understand me perfectly now and I don't have to slow down, unless I use the odd slang word, where they go "what??" They're even picking up some of our lingo and are describing things as "wee" this and "wee" that, so funny!!

I was born in Paisley but raised in Aberdeen so I am bilingual, I speak Glaswegian & Doric fluently :rofl: Our friends think it's funny when I say my son is being 'cheeky' - I didn't think that was an odd word?

Bluegrass Lass Mar 8th 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9225995)
I'm sure you could, my neighbours understand me perfectly now and I don't have to slow down, unless I use the odd slang word, where they go "what??" They're even picking up some of our lingo and are describing things as "wee" this and "wee" that, so funny!!

I hope I can. We are moving back to the Scotland this year, so I'll need my brain to 'click' again! :p

SDDep Mar 8th 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 9226097)
I hope I can. We are moving back to the Scotland this year, so I'll need my brain to 'click' again! :p

I would just have it removed and you will fit right back in...or did you already? that would explain why you are moving back..:)

Manc Mar 8th 2011 5:23 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 
Bobby McMan is awesome.

if that's the scottish bloke you're talking about.

ian-mstm Mar 8th 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9225937)
... no-one seems to be able to understand good old Glaswegian - I don't get it, there must be a medical term for it :D

Well not Glaswegian from the north end. If you'd been from the south end like me (Muirend), people would be able to understand you perfectly well.

Ian

CelticRover Mar 8th 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Scots on TV, here! Really..!!
 
Auchawaeyego.:rolleyes:


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:38 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.