Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scotland to America - looking for work.

Wikiposts

Scotland to America - looking for work.

Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:28 am
Just Joined

JohnnyMac80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scotland to America - looking for work.

Howdy Folks,

I'm in the process of trying to line up work in America. I have a US green-card as my Dad is American. I have extensive experience working in administration within the construction, building and maintenance industry. Currently I work as a facilities administrator/coordinator. I have management experience also. I am looking for any work at all that would at least allow me to get out there and get started.

Ill hopefully talk with some of you soon!

Cheers,
Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:54 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland to America - looking for work.

If you dad is American are not a US Citizen?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Hi There,

I wish I was an American citizen, but unfortunately because my Dad didnt register my birth with the US Embassy until after I was 21, then I didnt qualify for US citizenship and passport. My young brother has this though. I had to go through the I-130 green-card process.

Cheers,
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't work in construction, but my experience was that until I was actually in the US it was just about impossible to get any serious interest. The agent I was using shopped my resumé around, with lots of "interest", but no interviews were forthcoming. Then I booked a trip for a week in the US and bingo! Five interviews in less than a week.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Hi There,

You are right about that, it is virtually impossible to land work while im still here in the UK. I just posted on here on the off chance that there might be a business owner or manager who might be able to help me out just so that I had a job to arrive to - it may not happen like that, but if you dont ask you dont get! :-) I dont need to work in admin within the construction or building and maintenance industries as admin is admin, regardless of what the industry is. If I need to work in a grocery store or a bar then this is what I will do while I land the better job. But hopefully there is a British expat on here who might be able to help me out.

Cheers,
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:00 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I'd double check whether you are a US citizen of not.

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...ship_5199.html
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that!

But I cant get US citizenship until I have lived there for 5 years. The reason I missed out on it is because my Dad left the US when he was in his late teens and has been in the UK since. He should have registered my bith with the Americans when I was born and it would have been a done deal, however he waitied until 2001/2002 to do it and by that time I was over 21 and missed out on it, where as my brother younger than 21 so he got the citizenship. If there are any other loopholes that are there to be capatalised on then i would love to hear of them :-)
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:37 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnnyMac80
Thanks for that!

But I cant get US citizenship until I have lived there for 5 years. The reason I missed out on it is because my Dad left the US when he was in his late teens and has been in the UK since. He should have registered my bith with the Americans when I was born and it would have been a done deal, however he waitied until 2001/2002 to do it and by that time I was over 21 and missed out on it, where as my brother younger than 21 so he got the citizenship. If there are any other loopholes that are there to be capatalised on then i would love to hear of them :-)
If your father meets the number of years of US residence requirements then you are a US citizen by derivation. The issue seems to be proving that. I was unaware that failing to register the birth of a US citizen would in any way change that citizenship. However, I would want to understand all the responsibilities and pros and cons of US citizenship before arguing for it.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Yes I can recall something that meant if my Dad spent enough time in the US then I would have got the US citizenship - but now that i think of it, if this is the case, then how did my brother end up with US citizenship and a US passport? If you have any information that could help me then I would be most grateful if you could inform me further?

Thanks,
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:12 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Yes I can recall something that meant if my Dad spent enough time in the US then I would have got the US citizenship - but now that i think of it, if this is the case, then how did my brother end up with US citizenship and a US passport? If you have any information that could help me then I would be most grateful if you could inform me further?

Thanks,
I just read the rules in the link I posted. The thing is the rules regarding US citizenship by derivation and the US residency of your father might be different depending on the birth date of you and your brother. I don't think failing to register has any effect on your US citizenship, but those different residency rules might. I would advise that you do some research.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Companies like SERCO operate in both countries.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

But I cant get US citizenship until I have lived there for 5 years. The reason I missed out on it is because my Dad left the US when he was in his late teens and has been in the UK since. He should have registered my bith with the Americans when I was born and it would have been a done deal, however he waitied until 2001/2002 to do it and by that time I was over 21 and missed out on it, where as my brother younger than 21 so he got the citizenship.
So you were born in 1980, or earlier. At the time, a U.S. citizen parent had to have lived in the United States for 10 years, at least 5 of which were after age 14. Also note that there may have been special rules if your father was (unmarried)?

The rules for automatic U.S. citizenship changed in November 1986. When was your brother born? Depending on the answer, and whether your father was married or not, may help us help you understand how he is a U.S. citizen. Or - although it's unlikely - that his passport was issued by mistake.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Hi There,

I was born in 1980 and my Mum and Dad were married before my bith. My Mum is British and my Dad American. My Brother was born in 1991 - yet he has the US passport!!!

I doubt there are any loopholes for me - I have a greencard which I am grateful for.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a greencard which I am grateful for.
How long have you been outside the USA?

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Phew

Thought you were going to close the thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.