Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Schools - whether US behind UK equivalent

Schools - whether US behind UK equivalent

Old Jul 22nd 2016, 2:31 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools - whether US behind UK equivalent

I have limited experience of English and Maths in the UK, but I would guess that public school in the US would be approximately on par with the UK in these 2 subjects at the end of elementary, possibly somewhat more advanced in English.

Since the US doesn't have a national curriculum, subjects covered can be very variable. I can only speak to what my daughter (going into 5th grade) has covered. As an ex science teacher, I can definitely say that she hasn't done anywhere near as much science as UK students would have covered by this point: the emphasis is very much on English and Maths and there's little time allocated for science at all. Social studies is primarily geography and history of the state we live in plus general US history (presidents, civil rights etc.) but this is likely to be true of any private US school as well.

I think it would be fair to say that any subject knowledge that is lacking is likely to be in the areas of history and geography (since the emphasis is understandably different in the 2 countries) and science. As others have said, it's highly likely that a bright and well-supported kid could relatively easily fill in the gaps. If it's a financial stretch to send him to a private school, I'd say it's probably not worth it (unless your school district is a bad one!)
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 2:39 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

You will come to realise that kids study everything younger and to a much higher level than we did! You can't really compare what we studied all those years ago to what kids are studying now. I think my "O" level math was surpassed when my kids were at about age 13.
AS & A2 levels are nowhere near as demanding as the old A levels were (at least in the subjects I was teaching).

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 22nd 2016 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 5:37 am
Just Joined

sofa272 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, everyone - this is really helpful.

Here in the US, we were about to have him start at a regular public elementary school (i.e. not a charter school or anything). The GreatSchools rating is 10, and it is well regarded locally, so we were basically happy with this choice. If I am being super picky, I would say the school is bigger than I would ideally have chosen, and I think he might well spend time repeating material from his year in TK (although I am sure they would want to deny this).

If we go past 5th Grade, I do have concerns about the middle school, which is not as strong as the elementary and not as well regarded.

The private school is not an IB school but it is academically selective. It pitches itself as a "gifted/talented" school (not a label we're mad keen on, but the school seemed fine). DS got turned down earlier in the year, then they offered us a place this week when someone else pulled out. It has the advantage of being a K to 8 school, so if we were to end up staying longer in the US, we would avoid the "middle school problem".

On the UK side, yes, we are from a county that has grammar schools and the 11+. So if we wanted a clear run at the 11+, it might help to be back in time for the start of Year 5, which is 4 years from now. Though that is midway through a Key Stage. Hmm. Or conceivably if we go private, we could give it another two years, then try for Year 7 entry and common entrance at 13+.

Obviously we can't know what will happen with jobs etc, so long term planning like this is a bit woolly. I think we'd jump at the chance to stay on if we can, so I suppose I'm trying to think through both scenarios - the one where we go back in 4-6 years and the one where we stay on.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:12 am
Return of bouncing girl!

We toyed with the idea of private school during 2nd grade, as our daughter was really treading water the entire year and made little to no academic progress. In the end we decided against it as it would have meant curtailing extra curricular activities and vacations in order to afford it. We decided that an enriched home life was probably more valuable in the long run. I'm glad we didn't - 2nd grade was a low point for a lot of reasons (changes in the curriculum combined with every single one of the 2nd grade teachers experiencing serious personal problems during the year, which impacted on all the 2nd grade classes), but 3rd and 4th grade have been really great.

Since then I've come to realise that, in the case of my eldest, what's most important to her development is security in terms of her close friends. Our long term plans have changed - we have the same issue here, with well-regarded elementary schools and a not-so-great middle school and had originally intended to move somewhere else before she started there. However, we now realise that our socially awkward girl will do much better in a mediocre school where she feels secure than she would if we were to put her through the stress of moving schools to one which is better on paper. We can always supplement her education at home, but forcing her to leave her friendship group would be catastrophic for her.

So... my point is that it's also important to take into account your son's personality - if he doesn't make friends easily, it may be best to have him in a local school where he's geographically close to the kids he's at school with and can take part in extra-curricular activities with the same group of friends.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with PF, in the UK it's much more academic at primary than when I was at school. My daughter (age 11, just finished last year of primary school) has covered stuff that I did at GCSE level already. Even just the basics are much harder now i.e. children being taught 'joined up' writing from age 4, and most having mastered it by age 6, and the spellings my son gets at age 9 are crazy! Although it's worked, there isn't a single word that he'll spell wrong now when he's writing a piece of English or a project on a topic.

There's still plenty of art/music/PE/cookery/etc, but Maths and English are now taught at a much higher level than when I was at primary. History, geography and science I'd say is about the same.

I've no knowledge of the US system at all, but if it helps at all my daughter is about the same age as you are thinking you might be coming back to the UK, so if you want any info on what she's been working on or learning about, feel free to message me. Of course, it may all change again in the next 5-6 years, but hey!

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 22nd 2016 at 6:27 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sofa272
On the UK side, yes, we are from a county that has grammar schools and the 11+. So if we wanted a clear run at the 11+, it might help to be back in time for the start of Year 5, which is 4 years from now.
My daughter took the 11+ and she took it at the very start of Year 5, so you'd need to be back much earlier than that if you did want your child to take it. Preparation generally starts at least a year before the exam for it from what I can gather if you are in a grammar school area (we're not - only a couple of grammar schools, so very few children take it unlike somewhere like Bucks or Kent).

Although you can buy books so you could prepare overseas if that helps. There's also plenty of free material online, although my daughter thought it easier than the real tests and the mock tests/books you can get, so just bear that in mind.

But here is an example of the free stuff you can download - https://d1p4wjjwzl8fa7.cloudfront.ne...SampleTest.pdf

The main thing for the 11+ is that your child has a great vocabulary, words such as 'mercurial', 'superlative', 'refute', 'nomadic' and 'incumbent' were ones that came up in my daughter's exam, if your child is a keen reader then that's half the battle.

Another thing to look at is the SATS papers from this year which might give you an idea of the level your child would be at if they were in the UK and in Year 6.

http://satspapers.org/SATs%20papers/...tions_PDFA.pdf

http://www.satspapers.org/SATs%20pap...oning_PDFA.pdf

HTH.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 7:36 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Would a British child moving from the US public school system to the UK system find themselves behind their British peers, and at a disadvantage?
At age 6, this is a non-issue. Very little is expected of incoming kindergarten students; ability to behave/settle to the classroom setting, count to 10 or 20, recognize a few simple words. My kids were expected to count to 100 after 100 days of kindergarten.

Don't worry too much if a few Asian kindergarten students are already onto trig and calculus :-)

As for private versus public schools, it depends on exactly where you will be living. CA has some very good schools. And some very bad ones. If your local public schools fall into the latter category, I would seriously consider going private.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:24 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by malch
At age 6, this is a non-issue. Very little is expected of incoming kindergarten students; ability to behave/settle to the classroom setting, count to 10 or 20, recognize a few simple words. My kids were expected to count to 100 after 100 days of kindergarten.

Don't worry too much if a few Asian kindergarten students are already onto trig and calculus :-)

As for private versus public schools, it depends on exactly where you will be living. CA has some very good schools. And some very bad ones. If your local public schools fall into the latter category, I would seriously consider going private.
The OP is talking about possibly moving back in 5-6 years, at the beginning of secondary school.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch

I guess absent a directly comparable study one can only go by personal experience, of which I have with children who had been in different states, and experienced of expats I know who have had children in US and UK/EU school systems.

Some parts of country public schools and even majority of private schools have gone down considerably. I know one Midwest state where 30% of students entering a top 10 ranked public university need remedial English and math classes.

As far as northern California I would have a hard time recommending any public or private school in the area I lived ( one of top areas on the SF peninsula), and a very highly considered ( and expensive) school for "gifted" children which frankly though they did have a lot of potentially good students, they hardly received a broad education beyond what was ideologically considered appropriate. For example many families pay exhorbitant prices to live in Palo Alto to be in that public school system, I was hardly impressed with the product of those schools.

Most Expats I knew from Europe, Asia or South America when they came their children were usually ahead of American students, and when they returned were behind, though this might not be a representative sample- students who had been in Mexican private schools for example were far ahead of American students.

I studied in an overseas high school where I received a US high school diploma, and passed my A levels, at that time the A level classes, and the students in them , were far more advanced than American students.

Yet I must say most British Expats I met in Bay Area seemed to feel their children in US primary and middle schools didn't have much problem going to UK school when they returned.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all - Am new on here, sorry for any rookie errors.

Would a British child moving from the US public school system to the UK system find themselves behind their British peers, and at a disadvantage?

We are based in California. DS is 5 rising 6. He has just finished transitional kindergarten (like a pre-K year) and is going into kindergarten. We have the option to take a place at a private school, which will be a big stretch financially. However, I am wondering if it will put him in a better position further down the line, if we move back to the UK in 5-6 years' time.

I did check your wiki, but it seemed to be more about entry into the US system than the return to the UK system.

Thank you!

Where in California are you?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
Given the fact that you've mentioned private school, I would argue that the gap between a decent private school in the USA and a decent private school in the UK isn't so big. I have friends who send their kids (4 years old, 7 years old, and 11 years old) to an exceptionally good private school in California. At about age seven or eight, the kids begin learning mandarin and latin, and by their early teens, they're all (pretty) fluent in it.

My friend's 11 year old can read, write, and speak mandarin, and understand it being spoken. In his math class, his math teacher fairly recently ran a 'who-can-recite-the-most-digits-of-pi' competition. My friend's kid correctly recited up to about 160 digits of pi, and he "only" got second place in his class, with his friend reciting something like 165 digits.

I used to live with a guy who was a math teacher at an exceptionally good private school in Cambridge, UK. He teaches his fifteen and sixteen year olds university-level math, and is often amazed at how much they understand and learn. Some of his kids are so good that they sometimes even stretch his knowledge (as a math teacher who studied math to Masters level).

It just goes to show that if you have a bright, studious kid, and surround him/her with an amazing school, top quality teachers, and very bright peers who all want to excel, you're on to a winning combination.

Hello

We are a young family with a five year old little boy who will be moving to Thousand Oaks, CA in October. My son is already in Reception at a private school in UK and is considered gifted with an ability to pick up languages etc very quickly and advanced reading skills etc. As such finding the right school to keep him challenged is our top priority. I noticed you seemed to have an insight into some private schools that are teaching mandarin and french ... would you be able to share the names of these schools? And in your opinion, would you be able to recommend similar schools (we are open to private schools) in and around the Thousand Oaks area? This is our absolute op priority and any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks !
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute

Our district does a lot of dual language immersion programs so check if TO offer the same thing. Your son will start kinder again here as they start school a year later)
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherrysoda
Our district does a lot of dual language immersion programs so check if TO offer the same thing. Your son will start kinder again here as they start school a year later)

Thanks CS. Would you have any names to recommend? Or is that not permitted in the forum? (sorry - a newbie!)
Old Aug 24th 2016, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute

Not in TO-I just don't know the area. Try greatschools.com- you ar elooking for schools with a 10 rating on there)