British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Schools in USA - illinois (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/schools-usa-illinois-315014/)

fad_shen Jul 20th 2005 2:43 pm

Schools in USA - illinois

Dear All,

I am thinking of relocating to the USA in a small town called Macomb, IL.

I have mixed thoughts about schooling and which Education is better for my 5 year old kid. I know it is very difficult to compare eduation systems UK/USA.

The town is quite small with 4 public schools one in each age category.
http://iirc.niu.edu/scripts/search2....rchText=MACOMB
Not sure if small town is positive or negative?

However as many of you have chosen to live in USA I thought you might have some thoughts on this subject.

Many thanks,

Fady

Manc Jul 20th 2005 2:50 pm

Re: Schools in USA - illinois

I think the US education system is pants compared to the UK system.

just my humble opinion

britvic Jul 20th 2005 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

just my humble opinion

Have to agree with you Manc, thats why we'er returning home much sooner than first planed, so are Son starts School in England.

ImHere Jul 20th 2005 4:03 pm

just my humble opinion

Pretty much.

Humble :confused: Opinion

krizzy Jul 20th 2005 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by fad_shen
Dear All,

I have mixed thoughts about schooling and which Education is better for my 5 year old kid. I know it is very difficult to compare eduation systems UK/USA.

However as many of you have chosen to live in USA I thought you might have some thoughts on this subject.

Many thanks,

Fady

I'm glad my kids did a lot of their schooling in the UK.......at 17 my son is just learning stuff he did aged 10 back in the UK....in fact he teaches the maths class over here if they have a sub teacher because he knows more than they do.......and the kids turn to him for help.......

If your kids are young enough.......it should be OK..some States are way better than others......but older kids get bored and forget how to learn......

fad_shen Jul 20th 2005 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by krizzy
I'm glad my kids did a lot of their schooling in the UK.......at 17 my son is just learning stuff he did aged 10 back in the UK....in fact he teaches the maths class over here if they have a sub teacher because he knows more than they do.......and the kids turn to him for help.......

If your kids are young enough.......it should be OK..some States are way better than others......but older kids get bored and forget how to learn......

My eldest will go to school next year and the other is still few years from going. What States are better in Education .. any web sites about this?

Thanks,

Fady

Hiro11 Jul 20th 2005 4:32 pm

just my humble opinion

What a helpful, complete and insightful answer. :rolleyes:

Education quality varies extremely widely in this country. There are schools (like Stuyvesent in NYC, Roxbury Latin in Boston or New Trier here in Chicago) that are world beaters. There are also schools that adhere roughly to Zambian education standards (no knock on the assuredly wonderful educators of Zambia, but you know what I mean). Education quality varies not only by state, but there are also huge variation from town to town and even within different school districts within each town. Also, one school district might have excellent primary education but terrible high schools, so the variation in quality is literally school-to-school (probably like anywhere in the world). Lastly, there's a HUGE variety of private education choices available if you have the means and inclination. Many, many American kids are educated privately (I was...).

Basically, intensive research is in order and it's not easy to do. The standardized test scores will tell you a little. No Child Left Behind has probably made these comparisons a little easier and more accurate but it's still only going to give you a small portion of the total picture. I would talk to people who live in the specific school district and get their opinion. If you're relocating for employment reasons, talk to employees who live in the area. Also, generally real estate agents have good insight into the particular strengths and weaknesses of local school systems.

britvic Jul 20th 2005 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
What a helpful, complete and insightful answer. :rolleyes:

Education quality varies extremely widely in this country. There are schools (like Stuyvesent in NYC, Roxbury Latin in Boston or New Trier here in Chicago) that are world beaters. There are also schools that adhere roughly to Zambian education standards (no knock on the assuredly wonderful educators of Zambia, but you know what I mean). Education quality varies not only by state, but there are also huge variation from town to town and even within different school districts within each town. Also, one school district might have excellent primary education but terrible high schools, so the variation in quality is literally school-to-school (probably like anywhere in the world). Lastly, there's a HUGE variety of private education choices available if you have the means and inclination. Many, many American kids are educated privately (I was...).

Basically, intensive research is in order and it's not easy to do. The standardized test scores will tell you a little. No Child Left Behind has probably made these comparisons a little easier and more accurate but it's still only going to give you a small portion of the total picture. I would talk to people who live in the specific school district and get their opinion. If you're relocating for employment reasons, talk to employees who live in the area. Also, generally real estate agents have good insight into the particular strengths and weaknesses of local school systems.

Well there you have it, you went to a PRIVATE school, worlds apart :rolleyes:

britchicknyc Jul 20th 2005 5:29 pm

I generally think British schools are better, but there are good schools in the US. You just need to live in the "right" district.

If you are interested there is a British School in Chicago:

http://www.britishschool.org/

Ben Jul 20th 2005 5:38 pm

Actually, I'm really pleased with the school district my children are in. their teaching techniques are very similar to what they experienced in the UK (at their first school and not the one that they were at for just 3 months before moving to the states - which I might add was a blue ribboned school, passed ofsted with flying colors but I could see a huge difference in quality of education the kids received compared to my children's other school) and added to that there is an enthusiasm for children to put effort in and not just rely on brain power to get them through school (which is what it was like when I was at school!). Teachers are paid well and therefore stay in their jobs for life, however, this doesn't prevent them for doing a good job. And no, they don't go privately. It is a state school.

Their education is much more rounded and while there is a lot of emphasis on sports, there is also a lot of emphasis on the arts (music, theatre etc) which helps cater for all children. The teachers also realise there is more to life than just book learning so their homework levels are not rediculous (compare 3 hours homework at least 5 times a week my 3rd grader got in NJ to 20 minutes 4 times a week my youngest got when in 3rd grade in our Long Island school district).

ImHere Jul 20th 2005 5:42 pm

Actually virtually all the schools in FL are crap. Fact.
Its something like 48th in the States school league. So I pity the two states behind us.

anotherlimey Jul 20th 2005 5:42 pm

An off but related topic:

Someone here mentioned Naperville, IL was good; they were listed 3rd in a national survey of schools last week I think.

DDL Jul 20th 2005 5:56 pm

Schools in USA - illinois

Originally Posted by fad_shen
Dear All,

Many thanks,

Fady

I was raised in the far western suburbs of Chicago (Geneva: a superb school district, by the way) - far enough away from the City to have been surrounded by farms and cornfields; close enough to take advantage of its world class museums, etc.

Macomb is definitely Small Town, USA at its best. Of course, there will be some disadvantages of small-town schools, but there are some great positives, as well.

I have lived for thirty years now in a small Southern town outside of Charleston, SC. My 3 children all attended school here. When you live and attend school in a small town, you will see your teachers (and classmates) everywhere: in church, at the grocery store, at the 4th of July parade, etc. It's the "It Takes A Village" philosophy. My children really got to know their teachers, and vice versa. It's especially poignant when those same teachers begin teaching the *children* of their past students. It's a wonderful cycle that really brings a sense of community to a town.

I love small town life, but only if close enough to a large town to "fill the gap" on those things small town living cannot afford.

Good luck. I think you'll find the people of Illinois to be genuine, warm and friendly. :)

britchicknyc Jul 20th 2005 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
An off but related topic:

Someone here mentioned Naperville, IL was good; they were listed 3rd in a national survey of schools last week I think.

Do you know where I can see this?

Thanks!

anotherlimey Jul 20th 2005 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Do you know where I can see this?

Thanks!

It was on CNN HN I think, might be on their website somewhere.