Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Schools in Richmond VA

Schools in Richmond VA

Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:48 am
Just Joined

jillianred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in Richmond VA

Hi, might possibly be moving from Singapore to Richmond and have a question for anyone out there who might know about schools! We have two girls, one in Year 2 and one in Year 3, have been attending the British school here in Singapore since both were in Reception. Does anyone have any experience with moving young children to the Richmond area, which schools are highly thought of, etc??

Thanks in advance,
Jillian

Last edited by jillianred; Feb 4th 2009 at 8:08 am.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:47 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Richmond VA

Originally Posted by jillianred
Hi, might possibly be moving from Singapore to Richmond and have a question for anyone out there who might know about schools! We have two girls, one in Year 2 and one in Year 3, have been attending the British school here in Singapore since both were in Reception. Does anyone have any experience with moving young children to the Richmond area, which schools are highly thought of, etc??

Thanks in advance,
Jillian
Hello,

I live about an hour or so from Richmond & have not been there in the 3 years we have lived in Southern VA. Basically, I have yet to hear anyone say anything positive about the Town.

Do you know anything about the "old South"?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Not really....do you have school-age kids? In private or the state schools? Have heard that the public school system is quite good in Richmond, but don't know much about it...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:48 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

First take a look at the wiki for some general notes about schools and immunization requirements

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...s_in_school%3F

Second, where exactly will you be living. The public (free) school you will attend is based entirely on where you live--down to which street, so if you are interested in attending the highest ranked school in that town, you need to live within their attendance boundaries.

http://www.greatschools.net will give you more uptodate information and specifics about the different schools down there. I don't think there is a 'British' school in Richmond with the nearest one being in DC about 2 hours away.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Cal 74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jillian,

I am replying to your posting from my husband's log in. He is English and frequents this web site often. I am American and from Richmond and am actually a teacher. I have lots of information to offer you in regards to schools in the area. I previously lived and taught in England before moving back here with my husband. I attended Collegiate as a student and now I teach at St. Catherine's School, which is an all girls school.

I will provide you with the web sites of several schools and please reply with any questions. I had asked for your email address, which I di dnot realize was not allowed.

www.collegiate-va.org
www.st.catherines.org

Thanks,
Sloan Hiscock

Thanks in advance,
Jillian

Last edited by Cal 74; Feb 4th 2009 at 4:06 pm. Reason: email address
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cal 74
Hi Jillian,

I am replying to your posting from my husband's log in. He is English and frequents this web site often. I am American and from Richmond and am actually a teacher. I have lots of information to offer you in regards to schools in the area. I previously lived and taught in England before moving back here with my husband. I would be happy to email you separately if you would like. Please reply to this with your email address and I will contact you.

Thanks,
Sloan Hiscock
Please could you delete the last sentence? You should not ask for or divulge a private email address on a public forum.

Please read the Site Rules...particularly #5.

http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:30 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Not really....do you have school-age kids? In private or the state schools? Have heard that the public school system is quite good in Richmond, but don't know much about it...
Yes we do, they are both in the local elementary school (state run).
The private schools where we live are religious-based wheras the state schools have zero religious elements in them (an American thing).

I just spoke with a work colleague who grew up in Richmond and moved away a year ago. He has small children and would not recommend living in the city.

"NW of Chesterfield is a nice area and the Hannover schools are pretty decent." he says.

Suggest you ask a lot of questions about living in this region other than what the schools are like. A lot depends on what you, as a family, are looking for.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cal 74
Hi Jillian,

I am replying to your posting from my husband's log in. He is English and frequents this web site often. I am American and from Richmond and am actually a teacher. I have lots of information to offer you in regards to schools in the area. I previously lived and taught in England before moving back here with my husband. I attended Collegiate as a student and now I teach at St. Catherine's School, which is an all girls school.

I will provide you with the web sites of several schools and please reply with any questions. I had asked for your email address, which I di dnot realize was not allowed.

www.collegiate-va.org
www.st.catherines.org

Thanks,
Sloan Hiscock
Hi Sloan, thanks for your info....as soon as I can figure out how to private message you (or to receive the one you sent me), I'll tell you more about the situation.

Jill
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Yes we do, they are both in the local elementary school (state run).
The private schools where we live are religious-based wheras the state schools have zero religious elements in them (an American thing).

I just spoke with a work colleague who grew up in Richmond and moved away a year ago. He has small children and would not recommend living in the city.

"NW of Chesterfield is a nice area and the Hannover schools are pretty decent." he says.

Suggest you ask a lot of questions about living in this region other than what the schools are like. A lot depends on what you, as a family, are looking for.
Thanks for the websites, really appreciate the help...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:27 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Richmond but don't have kids so unfortunately can't really offer any first-hand knowledge. I agree with the other poster -- it entirely depends on where you live. There's the City of Richmond (downtown) but then the "Greater Richmond area" in general refers to the city AND the surrounding counties (Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover, etc).

The West End in Henrico County has good schools, I've heard. Keep them out of the City of Richmond schools; they're quite bad, unfortunately.

Lots of people around here do put their kids in private and/or parochial schools, such as the aforementioned Collegiate and St. Catherine's schools, both of which are located in the Near West End (as opposed to the Far West End, where we live).

I will say that although I've never been to Singapore, I imagine that Richmond's going to be quite a culture shock for your family. I'm originally from Northern Virginia just outside DC, just 2 hours away, and I still feel like an outsider here...

~ Jenney
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:01 am
Just Joined

I will say that although I've never been to Singapore, I imagine that Richmond's going to be quite a culture shock for your family. I'm originally from Northern Virginia just outside DC, just 2 hours away, and I still feel like an outsider here...

~ Jenney[/QUOTE]

Yep, Jenney, I think you've hit the nail on the head! Culture shock to say the least. Thanks for your info, am just keeping fingers crossed that we might have another year here before we have to move.....

Jillian