Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Wikiposts

Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Originally Posted by Bob
I've mentioned it previously, that my experience has been in registering our kid into public, kindergarten.

Run by the town, to get into the free, half day program.

There are loads of private, all day kindergarten programs around, but have no experience of those.

I guess a valid reason for wanting to see "US" ID would be because there's a massive Brazilian population around here and faking a Brazilian birthcert/passport is fairly trivial in comparison. That and the schools probably don't have the resources to get a translator in every time.
Hmmm...even that's pushing it. I doubt that they can insist on seeing US ID. That would be a problem even for people here legally. And how much Portuguese translation do you actually need to read a name and DOB from a birth cert or passport?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Extreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you live on the border and send your kids to school in the US though...
That's a no-go. You must live within the boundaries of your school (district). It's related to property taxes. Officially, a US citizen living in Tijuana can't come to school in San Diego. Unofficially, hundreds (probably thousands) of Tijuana residents get up at 5 o'clock every morning to fight the hour long border wait. Those students are in my experience usually very good and motivated!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Extreme
If you live on the border and send your kids to school in the US though...
That's a no-go. You must live within the boundaries of your school (district). It's related to property taxes. Officially, a US citizen living in Tijuana can't come to school in San Diego. Unofficially, hundreds (probably thousands) of Tijuana residents get up at 5 o'clock every morning to fight the hour long border wait. Those students are in my experience usually very good and motivated!
I think he meant this:

Commuter Student (F3) Visa
This visa is for Canadian or Mexican citizens who maintain an actual residence outside the U.S. and commute to the United States temporarily in order to engage in academic studies.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Extreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I think he meant this:

Commuter Student (F3) Visa
This visa is for Canadian or Mexican citizens who maintain an actual residence outside the U.S. and commute to the United States temporarily in order to engage in academic studies.
Who? Me? No, I'm talking about US citizens living in Mexico.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Who? Me? No, I'm talking about US citizens living in Mexico.
Not you - the person you replied to (Steve). I think he was talking about Canadian and Mexican students who travel into the US to attend school on F3 visas.

My point was that you were talking about something different.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Has a school asked you about your immigration status?
We haven't registered yet. I'll be very surprised if they do ask. IF they do I don't know if I'll be brave enough to tell them to get lost out of principle... This is not about me, we are not illegal. The thread was created out of general interest and curiosity.

Originally Posted by kodokan
My school not only didn't ask for my immigration status, it handed me a piece of paper as part of the registration pack roughly saying 'We're not allowed to ask your immigration status! If any member of staff tries to do this, don't answer AND let us know! It's not allowed!'
Brilliant!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...even that's pushing it. I doubt that they can insist on seeing US ID. That would be a problem even for people here legally. And how much Portuguese translation do you actually need to read a name and DOB from a birth cert or passport?
Like I also said. For those without those forms of ID, they then had a list that they would accept and they included a list of visas that excluded the B1/2 and VWP.

And the reason for that, like I also just said, is the ease of faking those Brazilian documents. I've seen a few, ranging from shit ones to those that are actually very decent and be hard pressed to not realise if you didn't already know.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Faking what though? Age of the child? To make him/her start earlier and save money on childcare? I wish I had thought of that!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Eh?

All children have to attend school. Period. That is right, legal, and compulsory, as far as I know. It's what public schools do.

Surely nobody has any other experience?

Wrong!!!!

Education is compulsory. This education does NOT have to occur at school.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:25 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Wrong!!!!

Education is compulsory. This education does NOT have to occur at school.
Yes, true, I had forgotten about the home ed lark. But a child who wishes to go to school cannot be turned away. I hope.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Faking what though? Age of the child? To make him/her start earlier and save money on childcare? I wish I had thought of that!
Exactly that.

They make no exceptions for the birth date falling outside the registration cut off date. Even a day out, kid would have to wait till the following year, but at that point, they do make allowances for regular school, so would probably go straight into first grade.

There are not that many kindergarten spots in our town, if you want it free. You don't even get to chose if you want a morning or afternoon slot as it's a lottery for those who have registered on that school registration day.

If you register or move into town after that day, you get last preference and get crammed where ever they can fit you.

We also happen to live by the new school, which is much nicer than the other two across town and they want to see kids aren't "living" with grand parents across town just to get into this particular school, as there are a few old folks communities on this end of town.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you just have a mail address in the US but live in Mexico.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Yes, you just have a mail address in the US but live in Mexico.
The student's address is verified by the guardian's name on an utility bill.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think he meant this:
Actually I meant people who have a mailing address in the US and pretend they live there, so they can send their kids to school in the US. E.g. relative is a US citizen, that address is used because that person is sponsoring the parents in but they haven't got a number yet.

Theoretically you could legally do it on F-3 but as I understand it that can only be used for up to a year for children aged 14 or older. And the school has to be registered with SEVIS.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually I meant people who have a mailing address in the US and pretend they live there, so they can send their kids to school in the US. E.g. relative is a US citizen, that address is used because that person is sponsoring the parents in but they haven't got a number yet.

Theoretically you could legally do it on F-3 but as I understand it that can only be used for up to a year for children aged 14 or older. And the school has to be registered with SEVIS.
The common scenario seems to be USC's married to a Mexican National with a long term ban, they live in Mexico but commute to the US for school and work.